• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JAMES HOLLAND ON TIKTOK

Edward

Nice one Ed.

I don't know whether this is a badge of pride or old fogeyness, but I've never had a social media account thingie, no Facebook, no Myspace, no Twitter, no Instagram, no Snapchap, etc, etc.

I have two email addresses, one for family and mates, and one that I use for registering on sites to buy stuff, join a forum, etc. I've done that for well over 20 years and have never felt I'm missing out. I have no urge to broadcast beyond my family or close friends what I am doing on a social media platform (I do enough here) nor do I have any urge to get randomly sent what some prick I played rugby with 25 years ago happened to have for lunch today.
I am on Facebook today mostly only to see my kid's postings. being they have family out of state they tend to more readily post their day's adventure online so See pics and find out how their day went that way. (they don't live with me and one is in college) Sometimes I see posts from my two bothers... otherwise I would delete Facebook. I did join interest groups. WWII, USAAF, Star Wars fandom groups, 1940s type stuff. It can be fun for photos and info and pass a little time before going to bed especially since I don't watch TV much. but the general "Look At ME" Broadcasting is just stupid. Its a mental disorder for many of them. Attention seekers with borderline personality disorder and a need for approval or sympathy. people are just fishing for compliments. I believe many have Histrionic personality disorder....

Now, I can see a lonely old goat (not unlike myself) that has no friends or they live remotely getting their social fix this way. it can be a bit fun at times but like you say, I don't need someone I once knew 30 years ago friending me then wanting to start up reconnecting and then I have to deal with constant news feeds of their family outings and pet's antics or see what they are cooking for dinner. its silly. I. don't. care.
I used to post on FB for the benefit of family and friends... pics of outings, kids with me going out on nature trails, what movie we went out to see etc but after a while I realized it wasn't necessary. I can directly private message pictures and info to my parents and my two friends should I need. the general broadcasting means nothing. I literally have 1400 "friends". I think I actually personally know 12 of them. the rest friended me because of similar interests. I don't feel the need to post my ideas opinions and personal events to these people. I think I saw my reflection and how silly it all was a couple of years ago. it really hit home when everyone got on their high horse, their soap box and got all bent out of shape during this past political turmoil. it got ugly and Facebook stopped being fun. everyone was against everyone and if you didn't feel the same way they did about president so and so or potential president so and so then you were wrong. I also got so tired of the racial divides and name calling.i was watching the crumbling of society live as it was happening in real time.
I also see a LOT of self pity posts. way too many broadcast their issues and post how they are "quietly suffering" with a condition like depression. hey, I've posted about my depression and anxiety here once I believe and its okay to mention it but too often I see the same persons that are"friends" with me post on Facebook with a general public cry for attention but then say they are "quietly suffering" no. the ones quietly suffering don't let people know they are. they don't broadcast it out to the general public at large on social media. attention seekers.

Now in interest groups its sometimes fun to post an item from your collection but rarely does it ever actually start a conversation about it. you get a pat on the back with a "like" after a while what's the point of that? then your post is lost and buried under other people's postings so you have the attention of the other members for 6 to 8 hours then its forgotten.

And here I am... posting my opinion on social media and complaining about it for attention because I have no friends... now I'm depressed :p lol!

anyhow, I got over Facebook and while still there and check things out for my special interests posts only I have to scroll past all the other ego postings... so its not so much fun. the last thing I want to do now is then go to instagram to see what's there, then tiktok to see what's posted there, then twitter to see what's posted there.... :D

Officer Dibley

Hate to say this but maybe Mr Holland is using a hanger so that he can more easily get himself and the jacket in the same camera frame. These egotistical tv historians do love being in shot. Also, a voiceover with just the jacket in frame is less engaging.
We shouldn’t jump to the assumption that soneone who so obviously loves history and artifacts would be so ignorant on their care ....
Dave

Micawber

its a waste of time. like most social media apps. I can't keep up with them all. a friend of mine kept telling me to get this app, get that app, post here and not there etc. he kept telling me to get instagram, reddit, twitter, snapchat etc and I told him I had enough troubles keeping up with Facebook posts and he can message me there. he was a techno social media jjunkie. I asked him why would he bother to post to 4 different apps? what a waste of time! he told me one day "EVERYONE" was migrating off Facebook and moving to google+ circle like everyone moved off MySpace and went to Facebook. So "now" you can have a "circle of friends" at invite only blah blah blah. I checked it out and even joined a group... but guess what. google+ lasted 8 years... by April 2019 google shut it down. so much for a huge migration off Facebook to google+ :rolleyes: anyway, now TikTok is the new thing... sort of. from what I understand what you post is very limited in how much time you have I think from 15 seconds to about 1 minute. then it cuts off and you have to continue with a part two and that is IF you follow the person And can find the "part 2" it is very crowded, unorganized and convoluted. I watched the usual millennial hot chicks dance and wiggle their asses and twerk for about 20 minutes, scrolled though some of the cutsie and funny posts and then deleted it. took a walk and listened to birds chirping in the trees. you are not missing anything really on any of these social posting apps. now Facebook isn't even much fun anymore. just a soap box for political agendas. we used to laugh at people posting what their cats were doing... now I wish they would because now all the hate and political correctness "me too" gens have taken over. then its just the same stuff over and over again every day. /end rant.

Nice rant but hang on, hang on, hang on! Just where were the hot chicks wiggling their asses again (or arses as some if us chaps over here say)? :D

Micawber

Burt just noticed this buddy but I think the old boy is still knocking around and hasn't fallen off his perch just yet.

We used to always get him on telly back home when it was UK election time and they were covering it.

Yes he is still around, still with the same intensity that his equally irritating son, a fine example of nepotism if ever there was one, has inherited. Still sailing ...just like his son I believe.

kirova

I’m such a friggin dinosaur :rolleyes:
Heard of Tik Tok …… don’t know a thing about it :(

lol I thought Tik Tok is for young pretty girls doing dance moves in revealing outfits or idiots who put super glue in their hair to get some attention? didn't know they were branching out to us leather jacket nerds as well:D

not that I ever use Tik Tok anyway, I will be damn if I willingly handover my details to the CCP..................

johnwayne

James Holland is a good WWII historian, knows his stuff and often appears wearing a field/para type jacket! Did quite a good programme a couple of years back recreating Battle of Britain dogfights with R/C models, some of which were prob metre wide wingspans and appeared to be polystyrene as on crashing could be hastily put back together!! It was made with modellers from the UK and Germany where apparently theres quite a following. After several ‘aerial duels’ the eventual victor was a rather butch looking English lady - true!!!

Micawber

James Holland is a good WWII historian, knows his stuff and often appears wearing a field/para type jacket! Did quite a good programme a couple of years back recreating Battle of Britain dogfights with R/C models, some of which were prob metre wide wingspans and appeared to be polystyrene as on crashing could be hastily put back together!! It was made with modellers from the UK and Germany where apparently theres quite a following. After several ‘aerial duels’ the eventual victor was a rather butch looking English lady - true!!!

Yep, saw that. The models are commercially available, my son has one.

Smithy

He is a sound historian Wayne and probably his real strength is the enthusiasm and passion he brings to his discussions of WWII. Any faults he has as one is probably a byproduct of this and he can run away with himself and end up at best becoming unfocused or at worst making misjudgments or inaccurate statements.

His Battle of Britain book was a prime example of this, in his quest to build momentum the majority of the book was actually the Battle of France and when he got to the BoB, he didn't properly cover the different phases of the Battle which are of supreme importance to understanding the nature of the fighting and ultimately the Battle itself. There were also some absolute shockers in terms of inaccuracies as well in a few places. Not that it was all bad, but it certainly didn't knock Bungay's "A Dangerous Enemy" off the top spot for an examination of the Battle.

With that said he obviously genuinely loves the period and the history of it. I think he'll get better as he matures as a historian.

Haven't seen the dogfight with RC planes thing but sounds like a hoot. I'll have a fossick around on Youtube and see if some kind soul has posted it!

ausreenactor

I am on Facebook today mostly only to see my kid's postings. being they have family out of state they tend to more readily post their day's adventure online so See pics and find out how their day went that way. (they don't live with me and one is in college) Sometimes I see posts from my two bothers... otherwise I would delete Facebook. I did join interest groups. WWII, USAAF, Star Wars fandom groups, 1940s type stuff. It can be fun for photos and info and pass a little time before going to bed especially since I don't watch TV much. but the general "Look At ME" Broadcasting is just stupid. Its a mental disorder for many of them. Attention seekers with borderline personality disorder and a need for approval or sympathy. people are just fishing for compliments. I believe many have Histrionic personality disorder....

Now, I can see a lonely old goat (not unlike myself) that has no friends or they live remotely getting their social fix this way. it can be a bit fun at times but like you say, I don't need someone I once knew 30 years ago friending me then wanting to start up reconnecting and then I have to deal with constant news feeds of their family outings and pet's antics or see what they are cooking for dinner. its silly. I. don't. care.
I used to post on FB for the benefit of family and friends... pics of outings, kids with me going out on nature trails, what movie we went out to see etc but after a while I realized it wasn't necessary. I can directly private message pictures and info to my parents and my two friends should I need. the general broadcasting means nothing. I literally have 1400 "friends". I think I actually personally know 12 of them. the rest friended me because of similar interests. I don't feel the need to post my ideas opinions and personal events to these people. I think I saw my reflection and how silly it all was a couple of years ago. it really hit home when everyone got on their high horse, their soap box and got all bent out of shape during this past political turmoil. it got ugly and Facebook stopped being fun. everyone was against everyone and if you didn't feel the same way they did about president so and so or potential president so and so then you were wrong. I also got so tired of the racial divides and name calling.i was watching the crumbling of society live as it was happening in real time.
I also see a LOT of self pity posts. way too many broadcast their issues and post how they are "quietly suffering" with a condition like depression. hey, I've posted about my depression and anxiety here once I believe and its okay to mention it but too often I see the same persons that are"friends" with me post on Facebook with a general public cry for attention but then say they are "quietly suffering" no. the ones quietly suffering don't let people know they are. they don't broadcast it out to the general public at large on social media. attention seekers.

Now in interest groups its sometimes fun to post an item from your collection but rarely does it ever actually start a conversation about it. you get a pat on the back with a "like" after a while what's the point of that? then your post is lost and buried under other people's postings so you have the attention of the other members for 6 to 8 hours then its forgotten.

And here I am... posting my opinion on social media and complaining about it for attention because I have no friends... now I'm depressed :p lol!

anyhow, I got over Facebook and while still there and check things out for my special interests posts only I have to scroll past all the other ego postings... so its not so much fun. the last thing I want to do now is then go to instagram to see what's there, then tiktok to see what's posted there, then twitter to see what's posted there.... :D

Your experience parallels mine entirely. I think I could cut it away; however, I would maintain Messenger to receive and transmit the 'inappropriate' stuff FB won't allow and Defence no longer allows on our Outlook. Guns and Grenades and cool stuff.. Sad...

johnwayne

Re the models used in that prog, I was particularly intrigued by the Ju87 Stuka, it looked huge but then it was a big plane in reality! Other good bit was they had onboard camera’s in the cockpits!!

Smithy

Your experience parallels mine entirely. I think I could cut it away; however, I would maintain Messenger to receive and transmit the 'inappropriate' stuff FB won't allow and Defence no longer allows on our Outlook. Guns and Grenades and cool stuff.. Sad...

That's ridiculous Couchy! You're in the army and they get upset when you post guns, grenades, etc????!!!!

Newsflash! They pay you guys to shoot stuff and blow shit up. It's like telling a cricketer they can't post cricket bats or chaps getting knocked by a bouncer, or telling a professional American footballer he can't post a linebacker sacking a quarterback.

That's PCness gone to stupid extremes.

ausreenactor

Yes it is. Toxic masculinity. Females make up 8% of Defence personnel, yet achieve in excess of 50% of awards and commendations...