• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Jackets

Micawber

If you want pockets and a jacket that approximates a wartime Irvin a lightly used Aviation Leathercraft example will suit your needs. If you want something closer to original - a reproduction- then shop at Aero or Eastman or buy a good used example of either.
If you want further information about the type and qualities of reproduction Irvin jackets this forum has stacks of info built up over a lot of years - all you have to do is read it.

Pilot

If you want pockets and a jacket that approximates a wartime Irvin a lightly used Aviation Leathercraft example will suit your needs. If you want something closer to original - a reproduction- then shop at Aero or Eastman or buy a good used example of either.
If you want further information about the type and qualities of reproduction Irvin jackets this forum has stacks of info built up over a lot of years - all you have to do is read it.
Very well said! Spot on as usually!

John Lever

Right… selling it earlier since I have no use of it anymore…
Will be an EU deal essentially, since heavy and bulky..Courier costs out of EU are exorbitant.

The B-3 shipping ( to Nick ) prior Brexit was already 137 Euro :-(
The best way to ship out of the EU is to get the buyer to organise and pay for collection using a courier agent. I always use Transglobal Express. The buyer (me) organises collection sends the labels to the seller and the seller just has to pack and post the jacket. I have even done this for Canada

Pilot

The best way to ship out of the EU is to get the buyer to organise and pay for collection using a courier agent. I always use Transglobal Express. The buyer (me) organises collection sends the labels to the seller and the seller just has to pack and post the jacket. I have even done this for Canada
Your choice.. not mine… just to avoid any further discussion… I am …together with the courier Co responsible until buyer receives what he paid for ( taxes duties etc excluded ).
I will never give that away, sorry.. but nobody is forced to accept my conditions and/or buy from me.

John Lever

Sorry don't understand what you mean Pilot.
When I buy from abroad I organise and pay using my own courier service.
The way avoids being charged the wrong amount for customs, I seek professional advice about the correct customs code to use, to ensure the description includes Used Clothing (used clothing is ex VAT)and also have a representative from the courier on the end of the phone to talk to if any issues arise.
Simply boxing up and posting leaves the buyer wide open to incompetent postal/delivery services who don't care if the correct fees are charged. For example buying in USD but get charged for GBP valuation !

Pilot

Sorry don't understand what you mean Pilot.
When I buy from abroad I organise and pay using my own courier service.
The way avoids being charged the wrong amount for customs, I seek professional advice about the correct customs code to use, to ensure the description includes Used Clothing (used clothing is ex VAT)and also have a representative from the courier on the end of the phone to talk to if any issues arise.
Simply boxing up and posting leaves the buyer wide open to incompetent postal/delivery services who don't care if the correct fees are charged. For example buying in USD but get charged for GBP valuation !
Again, John, your choice.. not mine.
And yes I know the HS codes since dealing daily with these.
Besides I charge in Euro and I only use top class premium carriers hence never had an issue.
Jusk ask what happens if the parcel is damaged who is responsible? The seller since he packed?
The courier service since he or his agent damaged it?
I prefere single source.. one hand service..me and my trusted courier carrier.
Again, your choice, if you are happy with that …fine.
I stay my way .
Thankyou for accepting this if you intend to buy from me.

Rockafella

There's nothing inherently wrong with your jacket at all. It's just not a very accurate rendition of an actual Irvin. If you're happy and accuracy isn't a biggie then look no further, wear and enjoy.

With that said I have an Eastman Irvin and it is my favourite jacket. They're bloody spectacular.

Btw, I also live in Scandinavia (inside the Arctic Circle) and use my ELC a lot.
Thank you all for your comments. Based on the feedback I have re-evaluated my cockpit purchase intentions and decided to maybe choose something else later. I found the jacket I have to be exceptional (for somebody who doesn't know any better) and amazing value - I have a hard time believing that something I paid only 350 euros (import costs included) is this good!

John Lever

Again, John, your choice.. not mine.
And yes I know the HS codes since dealing daily with these.
Besides I charge in Euro and I only use top class premium carriers hence never had an issue.
Jusk ask what happens if the parcel is damaged who is responsible? The seller since he packed?
The courier service since he or his agent damaged it?
I prefere single source.. one hand service..me and my trusted courier carrier.
Again, your choice, if you are happy with that …fine.
I stay my way .
Thankyou for accepting this if you intend to buy from me.
Understood but the prices you state are ridiculous

Last edited:

Pa12

Thank you all for your comments. Based on the feedback I have re-evaluated my cockpit purchase intentions and decided to maybe choose something else later. I found the jacket I have to be exceptional (for somebody who doesn't know any better) and amazing value - I have a hard time believing that something I paid only 350 euros (import costs included) is this good!
Definitely worth it at that price. I was just saying if you are buying new, 1500 for a cockpit is ridiculous when you can get a top repro for around the same.

petermack09

Great decision, I have owned my aviation leathercraft for 27years, it's in perfect condition, not broken grain, the warmest jacket I've ever worn, and the pockets are magic, don't care about it being accurate when it's - 10deg.think it cost me £425 new. :)

leper-colony

This is just a heads-up that a couple of the posts (since deleted) in this thread are in violation of the VLJ's "Classifieds Guidelines." I hope the member looking to sell the jacket will post it in the Buy/Sell section, since it's an especially nice Irvin. For everyone else, I'd just like to remind you all that the guidelines exist.

As you were, gentlemen! :)
I'll buy that!

Smithy

Excellent suggestion Steve.

Also a Cirrus - secondhand as they've sadly gone kaput - would be another option to consider with those Irvin "inspired" versions in mind.

Søren (sadly long departed from this forum) had an ALC which he wore for years and then gave to his father. No, not an accurate original Irvin but by George did it have some of the best patina and wear I've seen on a sheepskin flying jacket.

OperationCoffee

IMG_0073.jpeg
Here’s one of mine with pockets. If anyone can ID it give me a shout

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27

Southoftheborder

View attachment 131991Here’s one of mine with pockets. If anyone can ID it give me a shout
That's a type of post war jacket first popularised by the Douglas company in the UK in the early fifties. They called it or it became known as the Irvin Mark VI and it was a design that was copied by lots of other makers. Because it was popularly known as an Irvin jacket it causes confusion with real Irvins to this day. They usually have zipped sleeves and this doesn't.

They are still very often seen for sale on eBay UK.

OperationCoffee

That's a type of post war jacket first popularised by the Douglas company in the UK in the early fifties. They called it or it became known as the Irvin Mark VI and it was a design that was copied by lots of other makers. Because it was popularly known as an Irvin jacket it causes confusion with real Irvins to this day. They usually have zipped sleeves and this doesn't.

They are still very often seen for sale on eBay UK.
Actually it does have zippered sleeves, pics don’t show it. “NIP “ is the brand. Thanks for the info