• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Jackets

Rockafella

Friends,

I have just recently got into leather jackets. I was searching for a warm winter jacket to keep me warm in the Scandinavian winter and found a cheap "B3 bomber jacket" from ebay.
I love the jacket! - it's stylish, it keeps me warm and it makes me feel like a million bucks! No piece of clothing has ever done it to me quite like this. Still, I keep thinking about how great would high-quality jacket be if the cheap one is this good?

Here is where I need your help:
My initial thought was to go with Cockpit USA RAF Z2109 jacket. However, now I have discovered a few other options:
Eastman - R.A.F. 1940 PATTERN jacket
Aviation Leathercraft - Original Irvin Flying Jacket
Aero leathers - RAF Pre War jacket

What is the consensus regarding these jackets? Could someone also comment on what makes Eastman and Cockpit almost double the price of other jackets on the list?

Attached pic of my current jacket.

Attachments

• photo_2023-12-19_00-44-14.jpg
    photo_2023-12-19_00-44-14.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 62

Pa12

They had their day. In the 80’s. The other makers left them in their dust long ago. Different if they were cheap maybe.

Rockafella

Is it a problem with their leather or shearling quality?
I like the monotone color look (no vertical or horizontal lines across the jacket) and two pockets. I know it's not accurate historically, but I like the added convenience of keeping my arms warm in my pockets.

OperationCoffee

What's the story here, what's wrong with cockpit? I have read similar criticism here before.
What's the story here, what's wrong with cockpit? I have read similar criticism here before
What's the story here, what's wrong with cockpit? I have read similar criticism here before.
Sorry for the multiples
Is it a problem with their leather or shearling quality?
I like the monotone color look with two pockets(no vertical or horizontal lines across the jacket). I know it's not accurate historically, but I like the added convenience of keeping my arms warm in my pockets.
If you just like shearling then the jacket you already own is good enough for your needs, save your money.

Smithy

There's nothing inherently wrong with your jacket at all. It's just not a very accurate rendition of an actual Irvin. If you're happy and accuracy isn't a biggie then look no further, wear and enjoy.

With that said I have an Eastman Irvin and it is my favourite jacket. They're bloody spectacular.

Btw, I also live in Scandinavia (inside the Arctic Circle) and use my ELC a lot.

mulceber

There's nothing inherently wrong with your jacket at all. It's just not a very accurate rendition of an actual Irvin. If you're happy and accuracy isn't a biggie then look no further, wear and enjoy.

With that said I have an Eastman Irvin and it is my favourite jacket. They're bloody spectacular.

Btw, I also live in Scandinavia (inside the Arctic Circle) and use my ELC a lot.
Yep, this should be reiterated. We as a forum are obsessed with accuracy to the original jackets. That isn't for everyone. If you're happy with the jacket you've got, enjoy it. No need to spend another 4 figures (seriously) on a shearling jacket that may be flawlessly constructed, but lack the pockets you like.

FreddyF9

Sorry for the multiples

If you just like shearling then the jacket you already own is good enough for your needs, save your money.
I agree.
As a former owner of a Cockpit USA jacket, I have to say that they are not worth all that much money. Don’t get me wrong, the jackets are good, but, the materials are just one step over decent quality and the hardware isn’t all that impressive.
If you are willing to spend that much on a jacket just get the Eastman. If you really want hand pockets, Aero Leather could add them on request (not sure though, try asking them before!). But beware of the taxes on imported goods!