• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i don't know anything about ww2 irvin jackets ...

havocpaul

Yes, that is naughty! Bomphoons have been quite prolific on eBay in the past couple of years, some interesting items, I guess they can sometimes make a handsome profit if 'Mrs Bombphoons' gets away with that practice!

philip.ed

Hmm, I know what you mean Andrew. But I was talking to Ian recently and he is a top bloke from what I can make of him. I think we have to bear in mind that if this is now their business then it will be a recurring thing. A lot of dealers do it.
But what I prefer is if the person who asks if they can buy it early actually wants the item! take Alex-Bateman from the RAF forum; he got a type 19 mic for around £30! It was probably less than that! It goes to show it can work, but imagine if the seller had been told it was worth a 4-figure amount? ;)

Andrew

Ben, my view is probably biased by Internet goggles but that's all I can go on. Years of collecting online I've seen a few who I just avoid, typically they oversell their stuff even when it's good, however the example I mention is just too obvious I feel.
Yes Alex got quite a deal and I've seen it often mentioned at The RAF and Comm RE Forum.

philip.ed

No I know what you mean Andrew. What I get aggravated by somtimes is when you're outibd on an item on eBay, only to see it on a dealers website soon after.
What is that latter forum you mention by the way?

PS-the AM donuts are on the way if you are still interested. I'll be letting everyone know when they arrive, then putting the pairs together,putting them in a bag, putting all your names in the hat and drawing lots on who gets which pair. Does this sound fair? ;)

havocpaul

I have no problem with dealers getting items if they do it honestly and fairly, sadly that is often not the case. There is a dealer who frequents local bootfairs and tries to get sellers to show him any militaria before they have even unpacked their cars, his line is that he runs a society and items go to their collection and archive, however, he can be seen stalling out at militaria shows selling items that he will have paid little for at premium prices, he's not alone in such devious practices. I know plenty of honest dealers who pay a fair price and sell at a fair price too without having to deceive and they don't 'mess' with the items or add spurious history to them either..long may they prevail.

Andrew

Ben, I was referring to chris kancas forum- network54.

Yes pls, I would like to take a pair still, just need to scrape the funds together.

havocpaul

yes, I quit at just under £600, anything over that was OTT if one takes into account the issues it has, the seller did well with assistance from all the advice and some hype along the way!

Roughwear

I agree Paul. My near mint electrically wired IAC jacket cost around £600 in 2009 and does not have the issues this jacket has.

philip.ed

Here ya go Paul:

I fear the pictures make it look better than it is, but I haven't handled enough of these jackets to determine whether this is true. The 'goggle strap' is an Eastman one. You can see a few repairs, and any visible rips are due to storage (i.e on a coathanger, as this was the way the original owner stored it :twisted: ). The zip area was re-stitched (it's all period), and a few of the eyelets are missing on the belt.

Let me know if you'd need any more pictures in order to pass judgement. It is huge as well, so I may need to measure it too.
also, since I took these pictures last month, I have put some Pecards on the Jacket which has made the sheepskin much more supple.

Andrew told me this was a 1930's IAC jacket so may have been worn in the BoB. The main zip was replaced in WW2, but it is still an early DOT zip. It's rare too as the front panels are made from off-cuts, which may show this was the end of one production line. I couldn't say though.

Link to pictures: http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 940/Irvin/

I will try and take some more pictures when time is kind. I'm in no rush to sell it, but it will probably hit eBay sometime. I may need to make another topic for this. I just need to find time between A-Level work to take pictures of every tiny rip (there's not many, and they aren't noticeable really) and also to measure the beast up. It's huge!

havocpaul

The link to the pics doesn't seem to work or maybe it's me. Sounds like it has too many 'issues' for me, I am looking for a good wearable one with no significant repairs and will pay accordingly if it is that good.

philip.ed

I replied to your PM Soren. Sometime this weekend I will try and measure it up (it depends how much work I have to do).

As I say, it should be good for display, but I'm not sure about every-day wear. Also, I have an inkling the belt will hang down slightly as it has a slight crease from being displayed for so many years. Having said this, I have yet to find a (period) chest bust big enough to fit it properly as it is a large size.