• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to store jackets

Peter242

Hi,
i assume that this question is asked many time before - but i had no luck with the search function.....
How do you store your jackets - i´ve read that it is bad to put jackets on a hanger - is this only true for a really heavy sheepskin like a B-3 / M445 ?
Or how do i have to store my B-6, A2, B-10 .... ?

Thanks
Peter

ties70

Peter,

all my A-2s, B-10s or G-1s are kept on coat hangers....just standard IKEA wooden hangers, no extra padding.

I never experienced any problems with this. All jackets are repros, if they were originals I would probably store them like my sheepskins...

...they are kept in this large Aviators' Kit Bag:

flyincowboy

Most of the time my jackets are stored laying flat on a big carboard box right under my bed to save room. Plan is to gather an old" tailoring mannequin" for display so i am looking for second hand .. at the flea market and pawn shops

MikeyB-17

I think modern leather repros are OK on hangers, although I tend to use big, wide suit hangers rather than narrow wooden ones. If they’re original and there’s any chance of the leather being weakened, definitely to be avoided as the hangers have literally been known to rip out through the shoulders. You often see it on EBay when somebody’s trying to offload a basket case. Sheepskin don’t even think about it. I roll my B-3 up and store it in my ELC AN-6505 bag in the warmer months-a tip I got from Grant.

B-Man2

Uhhh…….:oops:
F0D2EF7A-D541-438F-9F0A-CE9825CBDD3A.jpeg

mulceber

My go-to:
569E3EFB-8BD1-4833-9F95-9889CBD8DC87_1_105_c.jpeg

CCA78587-D465-40F4-B726-FA1B4F1F2467_1_105_c.jpeg

Aero jacket hangers with sections of pool noodle taped to them. I use these for all my A-2 jackets, and my B-6, as it minimizes stretching and doesn't crease the leather. Cloth flight jackets get an IKEA coat hanger, also with pool noodle sections taped to them. My B-3 might get hung up on one of these hangers in a pinch, but mostly I store it in a drawer. My originals never get hung up. They also get put in a drawer or on a shelf.

I might have opinions on this issue... :p

ausreenactor

I just throw em on the floor, lounge, bed, blanket box... on top of one another. Hard to keep count otherwise...

And yes... the annual reminder of what I have..... and what I need. Two orders in to ATF and WPG this far. Forgot a couple of things... next order...

Need to find my US WW1 collar insignia bag though? Still missing. Probably in transit to Puckapunyal. Will find out this weekend...

Broad hangers in wardrobe for A-2s and cloth if I need space. B-3s stored flat though. Preferably in OEM packaging... ;)

rob20uk

I just use standard Aero hangers. If they are made the way and shape they are then it’s for a reason.

Sideslip

We have a cat at home so that approach would be fraught with potential catastrophe. I threatened to turn the cat into guitar strings if he went near the jackets but as he just blinked and turned his back on me, I have resorted to piling them on my desk or in an inaccessible cupboard. Have suggested moving to my wife for more room… and I only have 4…