• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with A-2 sizing fellas?

ButteMT61

Hey guys,

Been a while - got the Covids and been busy...
So, I was pondering getting an A-2. Problem is, I haven't had one in so long, I'm rusty on the sizing. I know my numbers pretty well, but A-2's are not like other leather jackets I have, fit-wise, so I need the peanut gallery's assistance...

I'm 48" chest, 26.5" arms, 20" shoulders.
I see some interesting 46 and 48's online, but the numbers I'm just not sure of.
I measured out all my current jackets, and still not sure. Do the A-2's generally need to be larger due to the cut? I thought I recalled that being so, but it's been years since I had one.

Cheers for any advice...

Scott

B-Man2

Hey Scott !
Good to see you back. Also good to hear you kicked COVID’s ass.regarding your size. Your shoulders and arm lengths are definitely size 48 measurements . A size 46 would he too tight on you in the chest as they run about 24-25 inches pit to pit. So I suggest you go with a 48 at a minimum.
Cheers Burt

ausreenactor

Hey guys,

Been a while - got the Covids and been busy...
So, I was pondering getting an A-2. Problem is, I haven't had one in so long, I'm rusty on the sizing. I know my numbers pretty well, but A-2's are not like other leather jackets I have, fit-wise, so I need the peanut gallery's assistance...

I'm 48" chest, 26.5" arms, 20" shoulders.
I see some interesting 46 and 48's online, but the numbers I'm just not sure of.
I measured out all my current jackets, and still not sure. Do the A-2's generally need to be larger due to the cut? I thought I recalled that being so, but it's been years since I had one.

Cheers for any advice...

Scott
Great to see your post.

Have you thought about a FiveStar? Email Shawn and he will sort you out.

Brettafett

Hi Scott,
You've had some great jackets as I recall.

I think, along with the above, it also depends which maker you go for.
Also some contracts do offer a bit more room, while others tend to be more trim.

More high end repros as you know, will tend to be more WW2 correct size-wise, ie, probably best to size one up from chest (in most contracts).

You looking for new or secondhand?

5* and AVI LTHR offer decent jackets for the price, in goat and hh and can be customised to a degree size-wise.

ButteMT61

So, Thurston has some Aero stock A-2's. Here's the breakdown of the sizes, no other details so as not to confuse things. Three sets of numbers, two are labeled "46" and one "48".

Back length--27 inches (measurement includes knits)
Sleeve length--26.5 inches (measurement includes knits)
Pit-to-pit--25 inches
Shoulder--19.5 inches (top seam of shoulder, across upper back)
Waist--23.25 inches (measured at leather hem)

Back length--27 inches (measurement includes knits)
Sleeve length--26.5 inches (measurement includes knits)
Pit-to-pit--25.25 inches
Shoulder--19.75 inches (top seam of shoulder, across upper back)
Waist--23.5 inches (measured at leather hem)

Back length--28 inches (measurement includes knits)
Sleeve length--27.5 inches (measurement includes knits)
Pit-to-pit--26.5 inches
Shoulder--20.5 inches (top seam of shoulder, across upper back)
Waist--24.5 inches (measured at leather hem)

I know it's hard to say what's right, but I'm so out of jacket buying that I'm not sure the right one to try...

Thanks fellas - nice to have you chime in.

Smithy

Great to see you Scott, hope you and yours are doing well mate.

A-2s are funny old things with sizing.

In terms of those measurements you've listed I think the last one could work. You're a tall fellow too so you need some lengths in the body and arms. The other 2 would be too restrictive in the chest I reckon.

I'm in the queue for one of John's, 6 months down so probably 6 to 12 to go. You could also plonk the $200 down and join me in the wait ;) Plus you know John will have a better than average chance of nailing the fit just perfectly.

ButteMT61

@Smithy - yeah, I was going to do the GW queue, but I reckon it's over two years now, and honestly, I'm too old to wait that long. I might plunk a depo down to see what happens, but the way things are going in the universe, I'm not sure what the earth will look like in two more years+
I know I have had terrible trouble with A-2's in the past - always something too baggy, too tight, too short, etc.
Maybe I'm just suffering from Covid boredom phase #79 ;)

Griffon_301

sorry for my late answer, just returned from the airport and a day full of meetings with not much time in between, not enough to answer your question, based on the two A-2s I own now, one of them only purchased yesterday :)

since the start of this crazy pandemic, I finally found some time to do more work outs and exercising and in the process lost nearly 15 lbs of weight so far; while I was a solid size 46+ in jackets before, I have now fallen to somewhere between sizes 44 and 46, I would say I am a good size 45 now :D

both of my A-2s are size 46; they fit me quite nicely as you can see on the fit picture of my new ELC house A-2 I have posted yesterday after bringing it home, but to be honest, that fit does not leave much room for layering;
I can stuff a sweater underneath or maybe one of these USAAC mechanics pullovers with a thin shirt underneath, but not much more...
and mine are the more generously cut models, the experts say - the House cut and the RW27752;

based on that, I would say get a size 48 if you are going the ELC way; that gives you some space for layering;

hope that helps, if you have more questions concerning my two A-2s, just ask :)

cheers
phil

ps.: I should add that my House A-2 was custom made for its previous owner, meaning it has a little bit longer sleeves and a slightly longer torso; the measurements did not qualify for a 46L label but they are a bit longer than the stock 46;
at leasts thats what he told me :)

ButteMT61

@Griffon_301 - Thank you for taking the time to assist! I appreciate it! Believe it or not, I actually know a decent amount about this stuff, but am very rusty with almost two years of being locked down and not in the "groove" so to say.
I would always go to the custom order route, but feeling anxious and not capable of waiting for months or years at this stage.

Enjoy your jackets. Well bought!
Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Scott

Griffon_301

Hi Scott!

I am glad I could help a little! I am no expert regarding A-2s, I gathered a few useful bits about these jackets here from the experts and I was lucky that I got that really nice RW as my first A-2.
Luckily also, HPA has very useful measurements for most jackets and so one can compare a known jacket with a prospective buy and arrive at a good conclusion on how to size an intended buy...

If you know which measurements make you feel comfortable, you can buy according to that.
That's how I am buying nowadays...

If you want, I can measure my A-2s and post the results tomorrow :)
The measurements on the HPA webpage are spot on for my RW27752 in size 46 so I guess they are good for the House cut too...

Brettafett

Scott, one other suggestion. Over the last year or two, 5* and AVI LTHR have come on the scene. And they've come aways...
They're not perfect, not near the same level of accuracy or detail as the top makers... Of course, but they're really not bad.
Following original maker patterns etc, they allow some modifications... A few weeks wait time....
And all this for couple hundred $$

Now, I can't speak for 5*, a few on here can say more, but I've owned a few of AVI's Bronco and G-1 incarnations (as have others on the forum), and am quite happy.

Point is, grab a new jacket, AVI has a 48 and gauge for fit.
If it fits and ticks the boxes, great, wear the babyjesus out of it. Hell, you may love it.
If not, measure it up and return it for a refund. You'll have some numbers and some memory jogged.

All AVI's jackets are patterned off originals in their collection, so extrapolating off their original size 44 aside, their sizes are pretty close to original A-2 sizing.
Im a 40" chest, 18" shoulder, 5'10 and a 42 with an inch added to sleeves fits spot on for me.
This is the 'new' seall HH version. Its not Shinki or Warhorse, but its horse, its butter-soft, supple and 'gives'... quite comfy for an A-2.
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021003.JPG
AVI LTHR Bronco 2021009.JPG

Brettafett

Going back to your initial post, and considering you've been in this game a while and had some cool jackets.
I'd say it depends who you're getting your jacket from.
The top end guys tend to make more WW2 accurate jackets, hence the sizing should follow originals... generally one wants to size one up.
Yes, this depends on the contract itself, some tend to be trimmer, some fuller...

As for Aero, Ive owned a few. What I found was my Aeroleather contracts, I could get away with my chest size quite comfortably... Adding an inch to sleeves.
For their Broncos, I had go up a size and even then they were comfortable-trim. Also adding an inch to sleeves.

Eastman. Well, ELC has tweaked their patterns over the years (so has everyone else), but generally speaking Id go up a size for an authentic/ comfy fit.
Having said that, I currently own a Monarch 42, but it feels roomy on my 40" frame, so Im not loving the fit, but its an insane jacket.

The Thurston A-2s, perhaps take a gamble on your best guess for fit.
If it works, you win. If not, you've got the numbers and the fit, return it and get something custom that will fit 100%
Not sure on Aeros lead time currently.
Maybe worth a chat with the guys.

Ive also seen a few 46 and 48s going on the VLJ and Fedora over the last few months, you could still get lucky.

Looking forward to seeing how to get on!

ButteMT61

@Brettafett - Thank you so much for taking the time to put this stuff down for me!
I truly appreciate it - feels like I'm a nOOb again, which is odd, but I spose expected.
Burt has a DD model, but the only number that worries me is the pits - 25". If I lose more weight, I just might be able to pull off.
If I go Thurston/Aero, yes, I can try and return if it doesn't work out.

Most likely for me, this will be my last jacket - I never got the perfect A-2, and have not had one for years. I really want one and/or an A-1. Ever since I sold the GW A-1 to "Worf" over at TFL, I've missed that thing!

Cheers again to everyone who helped me out. I hope y'all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!!

Scott

bn1966

Hi Butte, good to see you back around. Went through the whole ELC A-2 hunt myself a couple of years back. Had a ELC RW 46 originally based on having a 45” chest, TBH it came up very snug and whilst it looked good in the mirror and received lots of compliments it never felt totally comfortable. Moved it on and checked out the HPA webpage for contract measurements as Griffon suggested. Best contract numbers for me in terms of broad chest and shoulders were the RW and Monarch, rang Rob at ELC to confirm numbers and ended up ordering the Monarch in a 48. Outstanding jacket that allows light layering whilst still being relatively trim as opposed to the ‘glove tight’ fit I got with a 46. Early 2022 I’m thinking of adding another ELC RW but this time in the 48. Will have to find the big bucks again but the end result should be worth it. Good luck Scott and have a great holiday season.

ButteMT61

@bn1966 - Thank you for the info and kind wishes! I appreciate all the help and I sorta shake my head that I am a bit lost on this. Felt like there was a time I could buy a jacket in my sleep, and now I'm worrying like an old maid!

Happy Holidays my friend!!!