• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Leather A-1 (size 46) - Images

Dr H

Comparison of A-1 jackets from Eastman Leather Company and Good Wear Leather

Hello again everyone

Apologies for another long post so soon after my recent set of photos of the Eastman Leather Company A-1. As I mentioned in a recent post, I had the good fortune to buy Steve’s (bseal) Good Wear A-1 and I’m posting a set of images here.

There appears to be no definitive pattern for the A-1 from the original photographs posted on the Forum. Although both examples compared here are based on original jackets bearing the label ‘Type A-1 Drawing No. AN-6501, A.C. Order No. 31-800 P’ (and smaller, separate square size labels), they differ in several elements of their detailing, which will be highlighted in the images. Both jackets are fastened with five horn buttons (backed with smaller white horn buttons) on the torso, two snaps at the knitted waist (earlier original examples also show two small button fastenings), and a further pair of buttons at the knitted collar.

This GW version of the A-1 is perhaps the third or fourth generation of this jacket – earlier examples in US domestic capeskin (and also horsehide) are shown on the Good Wear Leather website (http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/type_a1.html). To date this is the only jacket of this kind to have been made from the finely grained and figured Italian capeskin. This version is based on archive photographs, including the photographs of the extremely well weathered original in Suit Up (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=315&start=10).

For those not familiar with the pattern, it is not really designed for extensive layering as it fits closely and has been likened to wearing a sweater. Above all it’s a very comfortable jacket in use – the hide is lightweight and supple, but surprisingly strong due to the narrow graining.

The main elements of the construction are very similar to the ELC offering, with the exception that the sleeves are constructed in three pieces with a raw, unfinished edge and triple stitching. The colour of lining is more mustard coloured (compared with the darker brown lining of the ELC). The hide is incredible – soft and with a slightly satin sheen (it already looks vintage and I’ll be wearing it in daily to develop this further).

The photographs were taken this morning outside under cloudy November skies (with a bit of drizzle in the air).

For the record, the statistics of the jacket:

Good Wear Leather A-1 (46)
Weight = 1.1 kg
Shoulder width = 19.5” (49.5 cm)
Pit-to-pit = 23.5” (60 cm)
Front length = 24.5” (62 cm)
Back length = 26.5” (67.5 cm) (from top of back panel to bottom of waistband)
Arm length = 25” (63.5 cm) (including knitted cuff)
“Epaulette length” = 7” (17.5 cm)
Collar depth = 2.5” (6 cm)

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8833.jpg

IMG_8832.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8826.jpg

better duck

Hey great pics! And no apologising please: keep up the good work, and keep those pics and reviews coming.
This jacket is developing a very nice patina!

John Lever

Very nice Ian,
I very much like the buffed look of the seams on the pockets. The leather looks very lightweight and soft almost like chamois and is a great colour. A more pronounced curve to the pocket flaps is my preference but overall the jacket looks amazing.
So Ian have you now fulfilled your A-1 needs ?
I hope John will be offering these again as I would really like one.

riskyB

Very nice indeed. I love texture and color. It seems a little darker than the capeskin pictured on John's site, but I think I prefer the darker color like yours. Definitely keep the pics coming.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
... As I mentioned in a recent post, I had the good fortune to buy Steve’s (bseal) Good Wear A-1 and I’m posting a set of images here.

Fabulous ... so the only questions now are:

• Why did Steve sell it?
    What is he replacing it with?

Dr H

better duck said:
Hey great pics! And no apologising please: keep up the good work, and keep those pics and reviews coming.
This jacket is developing a very nice patina!

Thanks Peter. Drove to Brighton in it today to see the vintage cars so it's creasing nicely.
Very, very comfortable driving jacket - really didn't feel like I was wearing it.
A little sea breeze on the pier too to aid the ageing process!

Dr H

John Lever said:
Very nice Ian,
I very much like the buffed look of the seams on the pockets. The leather looks very lightweight and soft almost like chamois and is a great colour. A more pronounced curve to the pocket flaps is my preference but overall the jacket looks amazing.
So Ian have you now fulfilled your A-1 needs ?
I hope John will be offering these again as I would really like one.

Thanks John - the cape is burnishing well and quickly.
It's my ultimate A-1, so yes I am not seeking an upgrade.
The pocket flaps are neater in the flesh, but they have distorted in the photo.
If I'm being ultra critical, the ELC pocket flaps are neater, but in all other respects the Gee Dubya is the more stylish jacket IMHO...
The overall weight of the jacket is the same as the ELC, but the cape drapes more easily so must be a shade thinner.
The best fitting jacket I have ever owned though...

Dr H

deeb7 said:
Dr H said:
... As I mentioned in a recent post, I had the good fortune to buy Steve’s (bseal) Good Wear A-1 and I’m posting a set of images here.

• Why did Steve sell it?

Thanks David, Steve is thinning the herd prior to a change in his living arrangements. Nothing sinister, but not my news to broadcast.
No, he doesn't have an original A-1 to supplant this one, but is focusing on different vintage leather jackets at the moment.
My luck for all this to come together at the right time (and to find a very patient and helpful buyer for my ELC A-1 at the same time)...kismet...

bseal

Dr H said:
deeb7 said:
Dr H said:

• Why did Steve sell it?

Thanks David, Steve is thinning the herd prior to a change in his living arrangements. Nothing sinister, but not my news to broadcast.
No, he doesn't have an original A-1 to supplant this one, but is focusing on different vintage leather jackets at the moment.
My luck for all this to come together at the right time (and to find a very patient and helpful buyer for my ELC A-1 at the same time)...kismet...

She is sinister alright; my co-pilot . . .

81db55f5.jpg

JessicaGloves.png

GotWASP.png

0f3bf15a.jpg

0057e286.jpg

e9272809.jpg

4aa07387.jpg

Eventual new purchases:

aebb6165.jpg

b14c281c.jpg

oh, and one of those things that is measured in carats...

767fo

She is definitely worth shedding a few jackets for :D Congrats Steve and I wish you both the best, Allen

Dr H

Hi Steve
Congratulations to you both - hope you'll both be very happy together.
Your gain, my gain :D

CBI

My used Good Wear A-1 just arrived today - amazing! My camera has been in the shop for over a month. I will post pics when it (the camera) is repaired. I had been wanting one for EVER! Its perfect ..........

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:

Ahh, romance ... congratulations, Steve. :D

I guess you've already worked out she'll be hogging all the wardrobe space.

Dr H

CBI said:
My used Good Wear A-1 just arrived today - amazing! My camera has been in the shop for over a month. I will post pics when it (the camera) is repaired. I had been wanting one for EVER! Its perfect ..........

John
Is this one in capeskin or one of the Horween horsehides that was up for sale recently?
If it's the latter, how does the weight compare with my jacket (1.1 kg)?
Cheers
Ian

bseal

deeb7 said:
bseal said:

Ahh, romance ... congratulations, Steve. :D

I guess you've already worked out she'll be hogging all the wardrobe space.

When I showed her your post, she smiled and nodded. Sounds like you speak from experience, as always.

Looking forward to CBI's pics. . .

CBI

Ian - Its the Horween Vermont Espresso. Not sure of the exact wight but its light, about the same feel as my ELC cape A-1. The Vermont Espresso has a real cape-ish look. To be honest, I wanted it in this hide even though Cape is historically accurate. So sorry guys, I dropped my canon G9 almost 2 months ago. It should be back from the shop soon.

Dr H

Thanks John - I think that I might have been following the A-1 on EBay last week.
It's a good choice in that hide and looks very like cape.
Hope you enjoy it.