• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Leather A-1 (size 46) - Images

Dr H

Several Forum members have asked what the GW A-1 looks like being worn.

I had a coffee with John Lever today to talk jackets - John had that jacket on and struck a pose quicker than a rat up a drainpipe... :roll:

Excuse the iPhone snap in poor light:

JohnLeverA-1.jpg

(Van Gough model's own...) ;)

Thanks for the coffee John :)

Rutger

Looking good isn't it?

I'd almost think A1's are more comfy to wear than A2's.

Nah, stupid me, can't be so.
Everybody knows A2's are the ultimate.

It looks good and more natural to the body, and if I am ever going to buy anything new with GW it'll be an A1 and I'll send in my ELC A1 for measurements.

Now how does that A1 look on YOU, DrH?

Dr H

Rutger said:
Looking good isn't it?

I'd almost think A1's are more comfy to wear than A2's.

Nah, stupid me, can't be so.
Everybody knows A2's are the ultimate.

It looks good and more natural to the body, and if I am ever going to buy anything new with GW it'll be an A1 and I'll send in my ELC A1 for measurements.

Now how does that A1 look on YOU, DrH?

Hi Rutger
Yes, it's already wearing well and I agree that the A-1 is a more comfortable jacket IMHO.
Must get somebody to take a photo of me in the jacket - I'm still working on that pose ;)
Ian

Dr H

The reason that it's not on the site is that the particular hide (domestic capeskin) is no longer available: the drop down menu is not geared up for the A-1 at present. That's one of John's older patterns with quite a few differences to mine.

Jaguar46

Dr H said:
The reason that it's not on the site is that the particular hide (domestic capeskin) is no longer available. That's one of John's older patterns.

Does this mean capeskin is no longer available anywhere? Domestic meaning US or Domestic UK?

Dr H

John can no longer source it easily in the US and from my exchange with Mark (Fishmeok) he has also found it difficult to get. Don't know why...
I'm currently trying to find some in the UK; my cape came from Italy.
Apparently still available in Japan, but as thick as horsehide according to John.

ButteMT61

That A-1 is to die for. FWIW, I have an Aero A-2 Bronco in Cape and it's amazing. I initially thought Cape was thin and wimpy, but it's not at all. I still generally prefer HH for my jackets, but there's no denying the beauty of this jacket and the M-422 that 767fo posted here. Those are serious works of art. The Cape on my A-2 is about as thick as the hides I've seen and own for A-2's.
I would think though that this A-1 could be made to look wonderful with a slightly less-heavy (thick) HH. I love the unfinished edges too. Looks like it came straight out of a time machine that one does.

Dr H

Chased that one to Germany on EBay, where it eventually went cheaply - one of the first when JC was sewing his button holes by hand.

bseal

Dr H said:
Several Forum members have asked what the GW A-1 looks like being worn.

I had a coffee with John Lever today to talk jackets - John had that jacket on and struck a pose quicker than a rat up a drainpipe... :roll:

Excuse the iPhone snap in poor light:

JohnLeverA-1.jpg

(Van Gough model's own...) ;)

Thanks for the coffee John :)

Looks terrific on you John.

John Lever

I very much liked Ian's A-1, though for the life of me I can't see how it's a 46 ?
What stood out the most was the quality of the knits, they are thicker than my ELC, the paler more matt skin and the not quite so ' made by a robot ' look. Not to degrade Eastman, theirs is a beautifully made jacket, and I wear it more than any other.
Wish John would make an all leather A-1 type jacket, with button cuffs and collar.

Dr H

Don't worry John, you haven't filled out over Christmas :lol: : it's a wartime 46 (modern 44) so in keeping with your ELC A-1.

You've put your finger on the key differences: much has been said about knit quality and having owned both ELC and GW A-1s it's not so much that the ELC knit is poor, just that JC's latest knits are so good and look period.

The two jackets are like chalk and cheese really and I do like both for their different attributes. The ELC is a very, very well tailored jacket - possibly the best pattern that I've seen in this regard. Laser straight stitching, impossibly tight seam tolerances near the cuffs, extremely neat rolled seams, but it needs a good roughing up :shock: . My ELC A-1 (44) was getting there - still lamenting its loss... :cry: - with plenty of grain developing with burnished high spots.

The GW A-1 is much more homespun - I can suspend disbelief and imagine that this one has been produced on a production line between the wars. The matt finish looks even better under sullen skies and the grain is so fine that it dries really quickly after a shower of rain.

If anybody has a well-worn ELC A-1 in a 44 for sale then I'd be interested in doing a deal to take it off their hands.

Cheers

Ian

Dr H

Yes, I believe they are David - better quality than the GW Doni that I had in the past.

RCSignals

Dr H said:
: it's a wartime 46 (modern 44) so in keeping with your ELC A-1.

What is the circumference of the chest of a 'wartime' 46? (were A-1s wartime?)
A modern 44 would be about 48" to 50" chest circumference. Is that what a 'wartime' 46 would be? A 2" to maybe 4" ease? Maybe the A-1 was a tighter fit jacket? Many period photos of A-2s don't appear to have such a slim fit as a 2" ease.

Dr H

You're right of course, I was a little slack citing 'wartime', although some probably continued in use in WW2, I meant 'vintage'. The Pit-to-pit for this one is 23.5” (60 cm), but tagged 46. The pattern is trimmer through torso and shoulders than many A-2 contracts that I've seen, although there are notable trim exceptions.

RCSignals

Thanks. Yes that is a very slim 46. Maybe even for the period. A vintage 46" chest is still 46".
It may even be slim for a 44.

I think though the A-1 style better suits a close fit

CBI

Ian et al........- here is my 8th Attack Squadron GW A-1. The plane is an A-12 Shrike which the squadron flew circa 1935. I was able to find the correct markings. The art is pretty worn out on purpose as an original would be REALLY old. Figured any paint work would not be too ornate at the time. Now seeing the photos, too much reflection (in the photo) on the a/c to see some of the detail but one can get a general idea. Still have my GW HH A-1 and ELC Cape A-1.....

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg