• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Back to Our Roots …. The United Sheeplined 42-18777P

AllianceAAF

B-Man2- It's astonishing just how many larger-sized original A-2s you have in wearable condition. It's awesome eye-candy. And great insight into the re-dye background. Thank you-

B-Man2

That’s a cracker, Burt. Did United Sheeplined ever have a contract for actual sheepskin clothing?
That’s a good question Mikey… I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe someone here will answer this one.

Dumpster D

A-2 has been a bucket list item, for decades...I am still none the wiser.

It's lack of knowledge of contracts, mainly holding me back from taking a swing.

Help me make a decision on something or at least point where I should look.

I only know these jackets from films and photos.

What I'm looking for in a Repro? I don't know. There's just ooooh sooo manny flavours!!!!

The 12 O clock High A-2's are probably where I'd want to begin doing some homework if anyone has any idea what Repro would get me in that ballpark?

What did They have in the film, Catch-22?

Prefer a lightweight drape, or wear weight, south of capeskin almost, with some bias. Lots of grain, not as much sheen. A Jacket that will go very tea core and get completely distressed and ragged looking in no time.

I like when they crack and start to really look ratty and grubby with stained mottled patches, not dressy.

Dislike the billowing waistline, I need a trimmer looking waist tuck, and a lot of shoulder space and a boxy backside...Not too slim, not too blousing. Haha, tough crowd.

Please help to educate me on colours and styles if possible, I'm looking for more light, almost even reddish, than chocolatey brown or seal.

Again, I haven't even begun to narrow it down after a quarter of a century. :(

Pa12

It's lack of knowledge of contracts, mainly holding me back from taking a swing.

What I'm looking for in a Repro? I don't know. There's just ooooh sooo manny flavours!!!!

The 12 O clock High A-2's are probably where I'd want to begin doing some homework if anyone has any idea what Repro would get me in that ballpark?

Prefer a lightweight drape, or wear weight, south of capeskin almost, with some bias. Lots of grain, not as much sheen. A Jacket that will go very tea core and get completely distressed and ragged looking in no time.

I like when they crack and start to really look ratty and grubby with stained mottled patches, not dressy.

Dislike the billowing waistline, I need a trimmer looking waist tuck, and a lot of shoulder space and a boxy backside...Not too slim, not too blousing. Haha, tough crowd.

Please help to educate me on colours and styles if possible, I'm looking for more light, almost even reddish, than chocolatey brown or seal.

Goodwear horween. Any contract ;)

B-Man2

Ok D
I’ll do my best … but here’s the deal .. there’s no judgement on my end … so please don’t take any criticism personally.
Point 1.
If you haven’t begun to narrow it down after 25 years …. You probably won’t and you will never own an A2.
Point 2 . I kind of equate your procrastination to the kind of kid who desperately wants to learn to swim … but is reluctant to jump into the water …. If you don’t jump in brother it ain’t gonna happen .
Ok so that’s all the negative stuff so let’s go positive from this point on .

Here’s what I learned over the years .
Most people ( not all ) will buy there first A2 jacket and then after a period of time decide that they wish they had gotten the other A2. Its happens a lot . But … At that point at least they’re in the water learning to swim .
So don’t think about dumping a big pile of dough on that first jacket. Think about a previously owned repro .
Next step and the most important step in my opinion … KNOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS … you can’t go by the tag size on any of these jackets .. from GWs to 5 Stars . You have to know your measurements and then know the measurements of the jacket you want to buy. So forget about 46 vs 44 or Large vs Xl.
Next … start with the big picture … simply do you want seal or Russett color. Once you decide that, then you’re about at the half way point to buying a jacket .
Next start your search for a jacket that’s the color of your choice with the dimensions that most closely match your measurements . At this point don’t even worry about which contract and all that fluff, because you’re looking at previously worn jackets in nice condition so you may have to sacrifice your “Holly Grail’ jacket until you really get to be a better swimmer … ( it’s an analogy just go with it ;)) . So after a bit you’ll find a jacket you like … most importantly a jacket that’s your color and fits you .. so now you ask all of us if we think the jacket is a good one and if the price is right … we respond with varying degrees of sage but conflicting advice which confuses you even more … Finally you just say “screw it “ and you buy your first A2 jacket and post photos and fit pics here ..We’ll respond with varying degrees of oohs and ahhs and more sage advice and now you have your first A2 jacket .
BUT it’s not over yet …. You’ll wear that jacket for a period of time learn what you love about it and also what you hate about it …. And THEN you’ll be ready to plop down the big bucks on that holy grail jacket that will be your keeper for life … THATS IT .. so let’s get looking !!;)

Last edited:

atlasfields

Ok D
I’ll do my best … but here’s the deal .. there’s no judgement on my end … so please don’t take any criticism personally.
Point 1.
If you haven’t begun to narrow it down after 25 years …. You probably won’t and you will never own an A2.
Point 2 . I kind of equate your procrastination to the kind of kid who desperately wants to learn to swim … but is reluctant to jump into the water …. If you don’t jump in brother it ain’t gonna happen .
Ok so that’s all the negative stuff so let’s go positive from this point on .

Here’s what I learned over the years .
Most people ( not all ) will buy there first A2 jacket and then after a period of time decide that they wish they had gotten the other A2. Its happens a lot . But … At that point at least they’re in the water learning to swim .
So don’t think about dumping a big pile of dough on that first jacket. Think about a previously owned repro .
Next step and the most important step in my opinion … KNOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS … you can’t go by the tag size on any of these jackets .. from GWs to 5 Stars . You have to know your measurements and then know the measurements of the jacket you want to buy. So forget about 46 vs 44 or Large vs Xl.
Next … start with the big picture … simply do you want seal or Russett color. Once you decide that, then you’re about at the half way point to buying a jacket .
Next start your search for a jacket that’s the color of your choice with the dimensions that most closely match your measurements . At this point don’t even worry about which contract and all that fluff, because you’re looking at previously worn jackets in nice condition so you may have to sacrifice your “Holly Grail’ jacket until you really get to be a better swimmer … ( it’s an analogy just go with it ;)) . So after a bit you’ll find a jacket you like … most importantly a jacket that’s your color and fits you .. so now you ask all of us if we think the jacket is a good one and if the price is right … we respond with varying degrees of sage but conflicting advice which confuses you even more … Finally you just say “fuck it “ and you buy your first A2 jacket and post photos and fit pics here ..
It’s not over yet …. You’ll wear that jacket for a period of time learn what you love about it and also what you hate about it …. And THEN you’ll be ready to plop down the big bucks on that holy grail jacket that will be your keeper for life … THATS IT .. so let’s get looking !!;)
So let it be written, so let it be done...
1712248393222.png

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Appreciate the help and advice.

I duno, there's a lot holding me back from an A-2 all these years. It's been Nylon and G-1's filling the gaps between wanting a D-1 or B-3 to match with the B-2 hat.

The A-2 has been a semi-permanent side quest. You are correct...It may never happen at this point, unless something 'used' comes along and it's been written in the stars as foretold in the ancient prophecy.

That's like waiting for a Chicken to hop in the roast pan and cook itself.

Still an A-2 Freshman after all these years.

If I had to pick one from a lineup, It would be one of the GW's a couple of you fine gentlemen are so proudly enjoying!!

Pa12

I duno, there's a lot holding me back from an A-2 all these years. It's been Nylon and G-1's filling the gaps between wanting a D-1 or B-3 to match with the B-2 hat.

The A-2 has been a semi-permanent side quest. You are correct...It may never happen at this point, unless something used comes along and it's been written in the stars as foretold in the ancient prophecy.

If I had to pick one from a lineup, It would be one of the GW's a couple of you fine gentlemen are so proudly enjoying!!
Can’t go wrong with that

Micawber

The A-2 has been a semi-permanent side quest. You are correct...It may never happen at this point, unless something 'used' comes along and it's been written in the stars as foretold in the ancient prophecy.

That's like waiting for a Chicken to hop in the roast pan and cook itself.

What size are you - generally speaking of course.

Dumpster D

What size are you - generally speaking of course.

Size 44-46.... .............Ish?
imgres.jpg

Dare I throw words around in this particular thread, it would sound more like curse words to offended ears:

Slash Pockets!!!!!!! (Jeeers)

MAP LINERRRRSSSSS!!!! (Hisssss BOOOOOO!!!!!)

*dodges rotten tomatoes*

Pa12

Size 44-46.... .............Ish?
View attachment 144023

Dare I throw words around in this particular thread, it would sound more like curse words to offended ears:

Slash Pockets!!!!!!! (Jeeers)

MAP LINERRRRSSSSS!!!! (Hisssss BOOOOOO!!!!!)

*dodges rotten tomatoes*
Eeeew. But you certainly won’t break the bank buying something like that;)