• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Back to Our Roots …. The United Sheeplined 42-18777P

B-Man2

Hey Guys
The next A2 jacket in this series of posts is the United Sheeplined 42-18777P A2 jacket in a size 46 all original in very nice condition.
The United Sheeplined contract was the only contract for A2 jackets issued to that company during the course of World War II. The contract for 25,000 jackets was issued in May of 1942. My own belief as to why the United Sheeplined company was only issued a single contract is that during the month of May 1942 the U.S. Army Air Corp simultaneously issued contracts to seven other companies for A2 jackets. Those companies included Star Manufacturing., S.H. Knopf Co., Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co., I Spiewak & Sons Co,,Bronco Manufacturing Corp, Perry Sportswear Inc., and Aero Leather Clothing Co. With so many contracts being issued in that particular month, United Sheeplined chances of getting another contract were non existent, as the manufacturing and production of A2 jackets stopped after 1942, and any stockpiles of A2 jackets were depleted for the most part by 1943. Once again … in spite of previous notions to the contrary , the
42-18777P contract was made in cow hide, not horsehide.
The jacket typically had an M-42 No5 Crown zipper however some jackets in the same contract were fitted with M-41 Talon zippers. This particular jacket is fitted with the Talon zipper. This jacket has no collar stand and and the shoulder seams are located under the epaulettes rather that being bumped up against the seam. Note that this particular jacket is one of the better “Depot Re-Dyes” as there are only a slight traces of dye behind the leather hanger strap and on the edge of the collar.
As previously posted … these original jackets are being featured in hopes that many of you will compare your repros and post comparative photos of them to see where the original and the repros match and where they are different. Additionally I’m hoping that any of you who may own original jackets will share photos of them with all of us, in an effort to keep the “ Vintage “ in VLJ, alive.
Hope you guys enjoy the photos .
Cheers

IMG_3057.jpeg
IMG_3058.jpeg
IMG_3059.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3063.jpeg
IMG_3064.jpeg
IMG_3065.jpeg
IMG_3067.jpeg

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Thanks for sharing that Burt. Another great looking vintage A-2. United Sheeplined have rather passed me by as one of the A-2 contractors but is it me or are those pocket flaps a little longer than on other contracts?

And whilst I'm asking - zippers, do you know if they were supplied as parts by the government as the hides were I recall? I don't know much other than from Gary's book - is there anything on the Forum about the types used on A-2?

Lorenzo_l

Another well preserved original in wearable condition to boot. This all the more interesting as it is an example from one of those manufactures that had a single contract awarded to them.
It being a depot re-dye makes it an even more interesting specimen.
Many thanks for posting, Burt.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Apart from the slight traces of dye behind the leather hanger strap and on the edge of the collar on Burt's jacket, which are barely noticeable, I can also notice that there is a marked lack of contrast between the leather and the thread. I imagine that is because when re-dyeing jackets, the dye (or paint, or whatever was used) is applied to both the leather and seams without discrimination. In most original jackets that I have seen, there is a clear contrast between the leather and the thread. So I wonder whether this apparent lack of contrast might be a tell-tale sign of a deport re-dyed jacket?

B-Man2

Lorenzo
You’re absolutely correct and in fact that’s one of the easiest ways to detect a depot re-dyed A2 is by examining the thread of the jacket to see if it’s been sprayed or painted over. Of course the edges of the lining, where it meets the leather and there’s residue from the dye, is also a giveaway that the jacket was re-dyed .
Apart from the slight traces of dye behind the leather hanger strap and on the edge of the collar on Burt's jacket, which are barely noticeable, I can also notice that there is a marked lack of contrast between the leather and the thread. I imagine that is because when re-dyeing jackets, the dye (or paint, or whatever was used) is applied to both the leather and seams without discrimination. In most original jackets that I have seen, there is a clear contrast between the leather and the thread. So I wonder whether this apparent lack of contrast might be a tell-tale sign of a deport re-dyed jacket?

Last edited:

B-Man2

Thanks for sharing that Burt. Another great looking vintage A-2. United Sheeplined have rather passed me by as one of the A-2 contractors but is it me or are those pocket flaps a little longer than on other contracts?

And whilst I'm asking - zippers, do you know if they were supplied as parts by the government as the hides were I recall? I don't know much other than from Gary's book - is there anything on the Forum about the types used on A-2?
Phil
I’m pretty sure that the zippers were purchased in several thousand lots and shipped to the different manufacturers for installation during production of each contract. I’ll check Gary Eastman’s book and see if there’s anything more definitive on that subject .

Lord Flashheart

Thanks Burt. A zippers reference would be another worthwhile sticky on the Forum I suspect. They are a rabbit hole all of their own and I bet there's more could be added to Gary's book.

Thomas Koehle

Awesome jacket in such a remarkable conditon ...

Can someone point out again what the issue with the shoulder decal was? I understood initially there was no decals but they have been applied after refurbishment of the A2?????

B-Man2

Awesome jacket in such a remarkable conditon ...

Can someone point out again what the issue with the shoulder decal was? I understood initially there was no decals but they have been applied after refurbishment of the A2?????
Thomas
To the best of my knowledge this is what took place :
The USAAF decided that there needed to be uniformity of color in the stocks of A2 jackets and as a result an order was sent out to re- Dye the jacket using a seal colored dye so that all A2’s would be the same basic color .
Part if that change incorporated the US Air Force Roundel being placed 2 inches down on the left shoulder. As per most administrative orders of the day some units complied with the notification while others did not . That’s why you still see some beautiful Russett A2’s still around and why you also see re-dyed jackets without roundels .