• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G&B A-2 - Silk Lining is Tearing/Deteriorating

Jaguar46

Captain_Krunch said:
I just sit in front of a computer - so why I should have this level of tearing at this point in time is beyond me.

So that being said, I got a response today. "I spoke with my boss & he looked at your pictures too. Say’s it looks like normal wear & tear for that silk lining. Please send it in so we can take a closer look & figure out the cost of having it replaced."

Not really the answer I was expecting. I'm sorry, but I can't believe anyone would say this is "normal wear & tear" - at least not with a straight face.

Well, I guess I don't have many options, and will have to send it back.
Krunch

You always have the option of not liking the product they sell, and not purchasing another one. I agree, a silk or acetate lining should last longer, perhaps it was a "bad batch" or material, as I don't hear others with G&B jackets complaining. I have one I bought used off of EBay, and the lining is fine.

269sqnhudson

siddhartha said:
I was under the impression that "spun silk" was actually MORE durable than cotton. I only owned one A-2 with the silk lining from Aero, and didn't wear it much at all, so I don't have first hand experience...

Strong, yes....Durable, no. Tensile strength and abrasion resistance are very different. A silk yarn may hold more weight before breaking than its cotton equivalent but it lacks abrasion resistance. Ask your lady friends, they'll tell you about the frailty of silk dresses.

With any materials weight bearing strength and durability do not necessarily go hand in hand.

markc

Oh my - I just wish I could get a jacket lining to last half that!

I read you guys' reports of "6-7 yrs old..and I can't find any wear at all on the lining", etc., with envy.

My 4 year old (yes FOUR - in May) Aero 1950s pilot jacket is just about due for its second relining.

I bought it with the alpaca wool lining which wore through where my wallet (in the inside pocket) rubs against my body after about 8 or 9 months.

Will reinforced it with corduroy but this only delayed the inevitable and I had the whole lining replaced with cotton drill, reinforced around the lower third with corduroy after another 12 months or so. He also replaced the cuffs and waistband at the same time as they were a bit torn.

Two and a bit years later, I have once again worn through the lining (the corduroy this time as well as around the neck) and the left cuff has suffered "wristwatch wear.

I'm going to have to send it back and pay for another refurbishment - but, I'm hard on my jackets. I pretty much live in this one when I'm out and it shows.

I think that the only real way to prevent wear is to NOT wear the jacket, i.e., have a few and rotate them - I haven't been able to do that (only own two and one's a B-6) so mine gets hammered.

What I'm trying to say is "don't sweat it", 6 years out of a jacket before relining is not bad - in fact I'd say it was pretty good.

Cheers,