• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Pic of my new B-3...

ties70

Thanks guys!

To be honest...this jacket was a big gamble from my side. I hadn't seen any samples, just pics...and we all know that Shawn's photos of russet always seem to be on the reddish side.

It is in fact much less "screaming" than I feared.
My wife doesn't like it, though ...Time will show if I will mottle the russet parts a little, maybe with diluted Tandy antique dye. For the moment, they look good!

Another thing were the measurements:
I know NOTHING about the sizing of B-3s or shearling in general, but I had a complete set of measurements for my 15 year old AERO B-3...only that they obviously didn't really match with Shawn's size chart...in the end we agreed on a size 46 with some heavy modifications, especially to the sleeve length... I believe that Shawn thought of a big mistake on my side, as I wanted the sleeves shortened by 3 inches. Honestly, 2 inches might have been enough but so far it looks OK.

Ties

Persimmon

Ties. The jacket fits your body well and re your comments the sleeves are spot on. Glad you are pleased.

Out of interest. Why doesn’t your wife like it ?

ties70

The sleeves look great, Ties. I might end up consulting you when I order one down the road, to figure out how I can achieve a similar fit.

Jan,

as much as I would like to help you...I am afraid that might be like Stan Laurel asking Oliver Hardy for fitting tips....the comparison is only size-wise, of course ;-)

Ties

MikeyB-17

I confess when I saw the Five Star pics I didn’t go a bunch on the sleeves, but thought I’d hang fire until I saw some under different light, and yes, it does look a heck of a lot better. That shearling is fantastic stuff-it looks a lot more like a wartime B-3 than some repros costing a hell of a lot more.

foster

Well...she is not a big fan of light russet, I guess... though her statement involved the comparison to "after a day of bloody diarrhea". Women.
I find it is beneficial to listen both to my wife's praises and criticisms of my jackets. If I'm wanting anyone to be pleased with how a jacket makes me look, my wife is #1 on that list.

ausreenactor

Traraaaa...!

DHL surprised me...

View attachment 58952

View attachment 58953

View attachment 58954

The poor thing was folded and cramped in a cardboard box... guess, I will have to wet it a little to get it to its full beauty.

Curliest sheepskin I have ever seen! Again a jacket that was done on purpose with variants in grain and structure..inside and out.

View attachment 58955

View attachment 58956

View attachment 58957

View attachment 58958

And @Nickb123 : The Hookless is a b*tch...I can fully understand your martyrdom...

Ties
Impressive indeed! Is the customer service actually more impressive than the product?

MikeyB-17

I find it is beneficial to listen both to my wife's praises and criticisms of my jackets. If I'm wanting anyone to be pleased with how a jacket makes me look, my wife is #1 on that list.
I find the less my wife knows about my jackets the better-that way she’s less likely to notice if I get a new one-or if she does, I can pull the old ‘I’ve had this one for ages!’ trick!

ties70

Gentlemen,

Some more photos from the inside of the jacket, specifically the fur quality.
Shawn has told me this morning that his sheepskins are imported, and my jacket was made from Italian and Turkish hides.

While the structure of the seal and the reddish hide is different, the creamy color of the fur is quite similar.
Compared to my Aero from Scotland, this jacket from Shawn feels less engineered, less perfect... The Aero is... What a guitar maker would call "book matched" (when the two wood parts of a guitar top are chosen to be perfectly "mirrored"), very high quality and a matching look all over...

This FS looks like it was made from whatever was available, showing straight and curly parts, sometimes even on the same panels.

Collar:
IMG_20210427_1815253.jpg

IMG_20210427_1815467~2.jpg

The collar was made from the reddish hide, and I would say it is slightly thinner or less dense than the seal sheepskin.

The reddish was used for the sleeves, here showing the inside of the sleeve: totally different fur structure...
IMG_20210427_1819313.jpg

The wind flap is the seal hide but here in the shorter quality... Beautiful stuff that will make a great M-444 or D-1.
img_20210427_1825572-jpg.59039

IMG_20210427_1815575~2.jpg

IMG_20210427_1817448.jpg

Best regards,

Ties

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_1825572.jpg
    IMG_20210427_1825572.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 402