• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Pic of my new B-3...

Skyhawk

A GW? Looks like it.
Nice jacket. I think the cuffs may need some work as they appear to be bunched up at the end. I agree about the HH/ Goat trim. WWII leathers were more grainy in my experience. Not so smooth.
Original B-3 Redskin: Check the cuff design.
OR-B-3-1.jpg

GW B-3 Repro Check the Cuffs and grainy Horse:
GW-B-3.jpg

B-3-pocket.jpg

The shearling looks very nice on the 5 Star though! Enjoy the jacket.

Persimmon

Try checking out the new Irvin jacket from Aero . It doesn’t have that issue . Mulceber was wearing one in his photo in “What jacket are you wearing today”
Also there are a couple of repros of M-445 and M-444 jackets that don’t have that shine as well .
View attachment 58630View attachment 58631

I guess that’s my point if Irvins and other leather fur collar jackets have a superb quality of look to their leather ( sheepskin etc ) why does this type of jacket has to have as it’s buying standard plastic looking arms.

Paying a hefty price as well all do for these leather jackets why would someone Pay to have a jacket look that way is what I just don’t get.

Sorry for disrupting the thread for Ties. If the jacket arms looked like the body even in a rainbow colours effect I could see the logic.

It is certainly the dark side for me. Anyway back to my A1 and A2 naughty step for me.

flyincowboy

Just bought a 5 star b3 a few months ago and its certainly made with the same leather as Ties jacket. After some winter use most of the time long walk with my dog, the leather start to loose a little bit of his"shiny " plastic look a like" it become more supple and still comfortable. just made some comparaison between my refurbished B3 by 5 STAR : hard to tell wich one is best looking. I rather go for the refurbished one which is russet /redskin in colour... but i enjoy wearing the 2 tone one. i am quite sure that the 5 star leather will aging well and have a nice patina.
just want to share my experience with such leather!

IMG_20210119_134303.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'm no expert on B-3s but I think Ties' soon to be received jacket looks terrific. In terms of the HH arm panels maybe it might be best if we leave it a few months and see how those arms panels wear in. It's brand spanking new and unworn in the photo so might be a bit of a stretch to say it's always going to look like that. Maybe they might just develop some creasing and even get some grain/patina development with exposure to rain/snow/etc.

Either way, if I was Ties I'd be pretty happy to have that winging its way to me.

Last edited:

Chandler

Just bought a 5 star b3 a few months ago and its certainly made with the same leather as Ties jacket. After some winter use most of the time long walk with my dog the leather start to loose a little bit of his"shiny " plastic look a like" it become more supple and still comfortable. just made some comparaison between my refurbished B3 BY 5STAR hard to tell wich one is best looking. I rather go for the refurbished one which is russet /redskin in colour but i enjoy wearing the 2 tone one iam quite sure that the 5star leather will aging well and have a nice patina.
just want to share my experience with such leather!

View attachment 58644
JMO -- but I see no plastic-like appearance in this jacket. Nice looking hides.

Griffon_301

My 20+ years old ELC B-3 looks a lot like that original Redskin one (even a little worse), but she has aged with grace and dignity and I will wear her with pride for many years to come...for the same money I paid for her back then, a friend of mine got his first car - and that did last only for about two years before the exhaust fell off and he was told that is way too unsafe to drive it any longer...
Well, I can still wear my B-3 though, talking about the toughness of these jackets :D

ausreenactor

I'm no expert on B-3s but I think Ties' soon to be received jacket looks terrific. In terms of the HH arm panels maybe it might be best if we leave it a few months and see how those arms panels wear in. It's brand spanking new and unworn in the photo so might be a bit of a stretch to say it's always going to look like that. Maybe they might just develop some creasing and even get some grain/patina development with exposure to rain/snow/etc.

Either way, if I was Ties I'd be pretty happy to have that winging its way to me.

Eager to see the fit pics..

Anybody see the 'wanker' on the FiveStar post with Ties' jacket... had to bite my tongue..

ties70

No but I'm off to look, I like a good wanker first thing on a Saturday morning, it gets the weekend off to a good start.

.....I'll get me coat.

Steve,

Don't get your expectations up too high.
Shawn posted the exact picture of my jacket (which I haven't seen personally, yet) and it took all but 5 minutes for guys to post "the waist looks too wide" and "I have the same, the reddish sleeve is ugly... Had to change that!".

The second comment came from the same guy, who made me believe that he ordered a patch from me, only to let me know that he didn't.. At least not yet.

I couldn't resist to reply.

Ties

Micawber

Steve,

Don't get your expectations up too high.
Shawn posted the exact picture of my jacket (which I haven't seen personally, yet) and it took all but 5 minutes for guys to post "the waist looks too wide" and "I have the same, the reddish sleeve is ugly... Had to change that!".

The second comment came from the same guy, who made me believe that he ordered a patch from me, only to let me know that he didn't.. At least not yet.

I couldn't resist to reply.

Ties

You know the proper definition of an "expert" don't you?

"X" = an unknown quantity
"Spurt" = a drip under pressure

An "expert" is therefore an unknown drip under pressure.

:D

ties70

Traraaaa...!

DHL surprised me...

IMG_20210426_1518573~2.jpg

IMG_20210426_1515210~2.jpg

IMG_20210426_1518003~2.jpg

The poor thing was folded and cramped in a cardboard box... guess, I will have to wet it a little to get it to its full beauty.

Curliest sheepskin I have ever seen! Again a jacket that was done on purpose with variants in grain and structure..inside and out.

IMG_20210426_1544407.jpg

IMG_20210426_1544558.jpg

IMG_20210426_1545235.jpg

IMG_20210426_1545584.jpg

And @Nickb123 : The Hookless is a b*tch...I can fully understand your martyrdom...

Ties

Last edited:

blackrat2

That looks really nice Ties
Great fitting jacket, think you nailed the sizing perfectly there
Be great to see an Irvin in the lineup

Nickb123

Traraaaa...!

DHL surprised me...

View attachment 58952

View attachment 58953

View attachment 58954

The poor thing was folded and cramped in a cardboard box... guess, I will have to wet it a little to get it to its full beauty.

Curliest sheepskin I have ever seen! Again a jacket that was done on purpose with variants in grain and structure..inside and out.

View attachment 58955

View attachment 58956

View attachment 58957

View attachment 58958

And @Nickb123 : The Hookless is a b*tch...I can fully understand your martyrdom...

Ties

Dude! That’s amazing! I think the photographs of it in whatever lighting Sean used in the factory did the jacket a disservice, because the thing on you looks awesome! Really.

As for the Hookless, all I can say is that if it doesn’t run and you’re sure the pin is fully pushed in, check that the pull isn’t getting snagged on the tape.

so it’s a Hookless with a Waldes puller?

ties70

Dude! That’s amazing! I think the photographs of it in whatever lighting Sean used in the factory did the jacket a disservice, because the thing on you looks awesome! Really.

As for the Hookless, all I can say is that if it doesn’t run and you’re sure the pin is fully pushed in, check that the pull isn’t getting snagged on the tape.

so it’s a Hookless with a Waldes puller?

That would be too easy...It's a Hookless type, made by Waldes, with a Waldes named Talon line Type pin lock puller...

https://www.kanemakijisai.com/blank-2/grommet-zipper-repair-dark-brown-tape-nickelkit

Ties

leper-colony

So this is based on the original Aero Shawn acquired but has an early zip with Five-star label?

The red looks better than I thought it would with the uniform color.

Fleece looks great! You look great!