• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filming-Jons Irvin used..

Marv

Persimmon said:
m444uk said:
NW Carver said:
photo3.jpg

Have their hands been chopped off ?

The one on the right is developing breasts

Cool uniforms....very bad haircuts :D

NW Carver

Yes, it was very very cold - all extremities were well tucked under cuffs and jackets :)

We were in shirt sleeves and shorts, with open necks etc - not allowed to wear our Battledress Jackets or Irvins (for show around set only) when filming, as this was supposed to be very hot Malta in 1942...when actually the temperature was 3-5 degrees C..with rain!

Haircuts are right for the period....but not very modern! :)

flyboy

Peter Graham said:
The WPG Irvin looks pretty good from here.

Agree - they do look nice. But having owned one, I can tell you, that the details are only so so.
The jacket tends to fall back and out on the shoulders, when not zipped.
The collar feels like a stiff piece of cardboard compared to the rest of the jacket, which is quite thin and flimsy. But also quite easy to wear, compared to the more bulky ALC's and Aero's. (never tried a ELC)
On some of the early ones the belt and all the seam stripes were artificial leather (plastic) - as well as the strap on the collar. But in all fairness - I think it is real leather now - or so I have heard.
But then again - hey!
You get what you pay for. And these jackets have the look. They are light and easy to wear. And they are cheap(er)