• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filming-Jons Irvin used..

NW Carver

I have just completed filming for 2 Channel 5 documentaries (as historical RAF uniform advisor and extra), one on Douglas Bader and the other on George Beurling in Malta...I will post pictures later.

Interestingly, there is a scene in the Dispersal hut in the Bader story where one of the main characters borrowed my Irvin (Jons excellent repro) for some close up shots, as it was perfect for what they wanted! I nearly didn't get it back..

Hoping that these shots make it to the finished production, as Jons Irvin looked excellent!!

I will post the time/date when the programes are broadcast as soon as I know! :)

Andrew

Cool gig indeed! I'd love to see the result of that. It's great Brit TV puts money into these types of productions, I wish the ABC would do the same instead of the PC subject matter that's still made here. We're you paid to have this sort of fun?

NW Carver

Thanks guys! Yep...I was paid..:))

On set for 7am for make up etc then finish at 7pm...so long day.

jonnyboy

That's great news Nigel!

I bet you had a brilliant time working on these docs. I can't wait to see them, and to see if my (your) jacket did make it into the final cut! Also looking forward to seeing the photos.

I'll have an update on the production jackets soon. JC is now my horsehide supplier, and the new sheepskin is looking great. My website is nearly finished too, so I'll get details of that up soon.

Great job Nigel. I'm so glad that the jacket is getting lots of use, and may even be 'seen on TV'!

Cheers,

Jon

John Lever

jonnyboy said:
That's great news Nigel!

I bet you had a brilliant time working on these docs. I can't wait to see them, and to see if my (your) jacket did make it into the final cut! Also looking forward to seeing the photos.

I'll have an update on the production jackets soon. JC is now my horsehide supplier, and the new sheepskin is looking great. My website is nearly finished too, so I'll get details of that up soon.

Great job Nigel. I'm so glad that the jacket is getting lots of use, and may even be 'seen on TV'!

Cheers,

Jon
What is the horse hide used on?

Dr H

Presumably reinforcing strips for seams, surrounds for zipper and rear of collar, John?

Roughwear

The seam tapes, belts, collar backs on original Irvins were made from cow hide. Perhaps Jon is venturing into A2 production with HH. ;)

NW Carver

Sorry guys, haven't had chance yet-most of my pictures are of us in KD shorts! Will try to get these up this weekend.

Fingers crossed that the jacket makes it to the screen-it should be, one of the main characters was wearing it! :)

NW Carver

Here you go - some pictures of us in KD shorts etc as Malta pilots in 1942...still trying to get hold of a shot with the Irvin being used from the previous filming...:)

photo-2.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-5.jpg

flyboy

Great shots!!!
Just a quick question: The parachute bag looks great too - where does it come from? Is it original or a repro?

NW Carver

Thanks Soren :)

The parachute bag is original (I have 2 of them - one has a broken zip) - as is the hat and 1932 pat flying gloves on top (with the chaps name and number in). The bag also had my C type flying helmet in it, MKVII flying goggles, E*Oxygen Mask, early pattern RAF sunglasses, white RAF flying socks (also named and with AM stamp)...as well as a 1940 RAF Aircraft recognition manual (with the 1941 and 1942 updates included) and some wartime newspapers...

In fact all the kit that you see is original, apart from a pair of shorts that one of the other extras (in the walking shot - far left hand side) is wearing :)

Kind regards

NW Carver

A couple of more pictures for you all...

Walking to the set in the sand quarry - you can just see the Spitfire in the background...

photo2.jpg

Some of my chaps waiting in the food lorry que...the two on the outside are wearing the filming supplied prop Irvins (one is a Aviation Leathercraft and the other is from the 1980s but has no name), the chap in the middle is wearing a WPG Irvin...

photo3.jpg