• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Cable Raincoat A2?

CBI

yes, looks like a great deal. I own an original Cable and they are first rate jackets - nicely cut.

ciddu

Looks interesting, but unfortunately, just like many other ebayers, he doesn't ship to Italy...

269sqnhudson

rocco74 said:
ciddu said:
Looks interesting, but unfortunately, just like many other ebayers, he doesn't ship to Italy...
come al solito.

Well we've had this before but let me ask this hypothetical question:

If you were an ebay seller with 500 transactions under your belt and you had 1 go missing in the US, 1 go missing in Hong Kong and 18 go missing in Italy, what would you do?

I'm sure ebay sellers don't reduce their customer base without good reason. People don't send stuff to Italy (and Belgium I gather) I assume because piles of stuff goes missing, not because they don't like Italians or Belgians. Get over it or blame your postal service!

I personally tend not to send expensive items internationally at all (apart from to VLJers) because I use Royal Mail who are very secure and very reliable but lots of people complain about the price and life's too short to answer a deluge of international postage questions or to troll around looking for dodgy untested parcel companies called things like 'Parcel Monkey' or 'Parcel Lizard For You' or whatever.

I get really narked about people criticising ebay sellers for their choice of exclusions. Their experience and judgement dictate who they feel safe sending stuff to. It's absolutely NOT the role of the potential bidder to dictate terms.

asiamiles

269sqnhudson said:

If you were an ebay seller with 500 transactions under your belt and you had 1 go missing in the US, 1 go missing in Hong Kong and 18 go missing in Italy, what would you do?
At the very least I'd insist on items being fully insured and if I had problem claiming back on just one of these items then I'd stop shipping to there...and it wouldn't take 18 missing items for me to take this step.

269sqnhudson

asiamiles said:
269sqnhudson said:

At the very least I'd insist on items being fully insured and if I had problem claiming back on just one of these items then I'd stop shipping to there...and it wouldn't take 18 missing items for me to take this step.

Too right! Sorry to hear about the bookazine foul-up btw. It just goes to show it doesn't take much going wrong to really make selling unfeasible and goes a long way to show why sellers have a right to dictate terms.

rocco74

First, the Chinese should consider increasing the level of quality ', but because they think only in profit and sales (no matter the client).
if an Italian buy from them because there must be a '? The best leathers in the world are produced near my house, I do even less to buy from certain characters.

rocco74

then also in Europe there are some sellers who do not ship in Italy, for example, I've never had problems with the UK with my hobby as a collector of vintage bikes, sell and buy bikes too kk €. just put the record straight first, insurance, etc..

rich

269sqnhudson said:
[I personally tend not to send expensive items internationally at all (apart from to VLJers) because I use Royal Mail who are very secure and very reliable

You might find this interesting then........

Royal Mail customers reacted angrily yesterday after it emerged that it auctions off the contents of 75,000 undelivered packages that become "lost in the post" each year.
Even customers who paid extra for supposedly "secure" services have discovered that items they sent were lost in the postal system and put up for auction.
A retired teacher, John Beattie, uncovered the problem after he found a set of rare bagpipes he posted were on sale on the auction website eBay.
He had sold the 1910 Henderson bagpipes to a Belgian collector and sent them by the Royal Mail's Airsure premium airmail service last July.
But they never arrived, even though the package was correctly labelled.
In March, a friend spotted the pipes on sale on the Internet. Mr Beattie discovered that the package had been sitting in the Royal Mail's Dead Letter Office - the national undelivered mail centre in Belfast.
It was then sent to Wellers, a firm of Surrey auctioneers, who sold it to an online bidder for £60.
It later ended up in the possession of a man in Glasgow, who advertised it on eBay. Wellers has an exclusive agreement to sell the Royal Mail's undelivered items.
Mr Beattie, 55, of Northwich, Cheshire, has received the maximum £500 compensation, but has still been left £1,000 out of pocket.

The rest of the article's here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ofits.html

Sometimes, unwillingness to ship to certain countries smacks of xenophobia, and if you belong to one of these 'excluded'
countries, I imagine it must feel pretty insulting.

RCSignals

I wonder how many of those packages in the 'dead letter' office actually stil have their return and destination addresses on them.
I suspect many do.

Royal Mail has 'lost' a few items addresses to me.

A

Anonymous

It's not a solution to exclude Italy (50m people) because of 18 missing packages. Also, if you send a package with tracking number, you should not be held responsible if it is lost
I bought a nice N-1 jacket and never received it and the seller said "I don't care, I sent it and he provided proof of sending"

One solution is to say for example "Shipping to the following countries (list goes here) only by DHL (or other) courier." So if the buyer really wants the item, he would have to pay.

It's simple.

ciddu

Of course sellers have any right to decide what, where and how they're willing to sell and ship.
Well, I can say that there are reliable people even here, in Italy... as well as unreliable people anywhere else in the world.
Personally I never had any problem selling/shipping or buying/receiving, but if the seller blames the italian mail service, he has all my sympathy: it must be the worst mail service in the world, or close to it. I think that tracking deliveries and insured parcels are here to help to solve such problems.
I just considered that living in Italy it's not always so easy to buy things from abroad, and for a freshman like me this makes the start in this field of interest even harder.

asiamiles

PLATON said:
It's not a solution to exclude Italy (50m people) because of 18 missing packages. Also, if you send a package with tracking number, you should not be held responsible if it is lost
I bought a nice N-1 jacket and never received it and the seller said "I don't care, I sent it and he provided proof of sending"

One solution is to say for example "Shipping to the following countries (list goes here) only by DHL (or other) courier." So if the buyer really wants the item, he would have to pay.

It's simple.
No, it's not. You're simplifying a situation that in practice works very differently. You can provide terms and conditions but buyers won't necessarily follow them and the way eBay and Paypal work the seller is generally the one to suffer. I've never had problems shipping to Italy either, but if I had numerous missing packages then I would stop shipping there...courier services aren't easily accessible to all sellers and for many items using them would be a nonsense.

rich

Dr H said:
Hmmm...wish more bagpipes would go missing ... Dreadful noise :twisted:

A time and a place for everything............ ;)

bp.jpg

Andrew

Dr H said:
Hmmm...wish more bagpipes would go missing ... Dreadful noise :twisted:
Sacrilege! Bloody Sassenach. Send them here then :lol: (proud Grandson of Scotland)