• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather Clothing

Dr H

John Lever said:
rich said:
John, any reason why you don't buy original jackets? Then you would circumvent all your issues with repros at a stroke.
They're out there, just waiting for you.................
Rich,
You are right, but at the moment the prices have gone silly. I did try on Ian's Links jacket and liked it. I would love a jacket like Andrew's Wareings if he would part with it.

Thanks John...and mine is available for a mere £1500... ;)

Dr H

Of course it's a 44 chest - had it been a 48/50/52 I'd be looking to retire on the proceeds... :lol:

John Lever

Dr H said:
John Lever said:
rich said:
John, any reason why you don't buy original jackets? Then you would circumvent all your issues with repros at a stroke.
Rich,
You are right, but at the moment the prices have gone silly. I did try on Ian's Links jacket and liked it. I would love a jacket like Andrew's Wareings if he would part with it.

Thanks John...and mine is available for a mere £1500... ;)
What the old Alpha Romeo ?

Dr H

A tad off topic, but ironically, the Alfa Sportwagon will be up for sale - need to downsize (we don't need two estates).
As Clarkson says, every petrol head should have owned at least one Alfa...my third 156... :roll:

Dr H

rich said:

John, I agree with Rich - take the plunge and source a good, clean, sturdy wearable Irvin (but not one that you'll feel guilty about wearing) and then enjoy it - but don't keep trying to upgrade it! ;)

It's been ages since I last wore my Links (during the worst of the snow in December), but having worn it on Tuesday evening, I felt that I really ought to make the opportunities to wear it more often - it's an incredibly comfortable, warm and stylish jacket and the fleece smells great. :D

John Lever

I am bidding on one now , but don't expect to win it.
Has any one looked at the Buzz Ricksons Europe [Eastman]site ? There's a Reissue page there as well... it's empty there's a surprise !

stanier

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want a wearable jacket thats around 60 years old, unless it's been kept in a sealed, bug free environment for all those years.

I do think it's a reasonable expectation that ELC, or any other maker, should be able to produce a jacket that's a facsimilie of originals that doesn't compromise or have peculiar interpretation of details, like very matt broken grain leather. Personally, I don't mind paying the prices if that degree of accuracy is what is offered.

stanier

Has any one looked at the Buzz Ricksons Europe [Eastman]site ?

I do look there quite regularly, but very limited range compared to HPA for example.

And never any leather jackets other than the B-2, in fact any jacket ELC also make. I don't think it's reasonable to be a distributor for a range, but omit to stock parts of the range because you make supposedly the same product. They sit alongside each other happily in my wardrobe and should in the store.

I order most of my Buzz stuff either direct fom Japan, or on occasion from HPA -I'm a sucker for those hand written American receipts and talking to that nice lady on the phone, it makes it all a bit more authentic!

On the other hand, and in the spirit of balance, ELC should be congratulated in my view for things like their officer pinks - lovely (but would have preferred a button fly), stocking the Diamond Flighter, the sweaters and actually engaging with Buzz at all. I just wish both companies would be more serious about the effort!

Cheers all

CBI

Gary knows exactly what he is doing -trying to run a business with multiple employees and making excellent jackets while minimizing financial risk. Great products but too many compromises for me as a serious buyer of A-2's.

The Irvin/B-3 stuff in its heyday was/is the best!

Gary has been asked a billion times over to make a simple copy of an A-2 with NO modern changes but has never quite done it to my knowledge - pretty close though and very cool looking jackets.

If I am off base here - apologies in advance.

all this said, I am awaiting the arrival of used house Eastman purchased on the Bay recently for a great price. the jacket had too nice of a patina to pass up. maybe a paint project.

I wish I could wear an Irvin but it never gets cold enough here. I owned an ELC Irvin that was terrific. If I were to be in the market for another Irvin, I wold buy an original as I have seen many nice ones for sale.

fl1946

For what's worth...I've never had any problems with ELC's service since purchasing my 1401 in late 90's via HPA. Even then HPA was very helpful particularly in sizing (several telcons), a trial jacket and suggestion to buy the 1401, which I never regretted. Most recent transaction involved the "Lost Knits" I ordered. Took almost a month to arrive (just rec'vd knits this past week). Not Gary's fault. Customs I believe. Can't provide enough kudos to Gary for staying on top of the problem.

My only gripe are the knit cuffs replaced and developing holes at exact spot on both sleeves. Wife said I must be rubbing cuffs against hard surface -- to which I responded that I don't use two hands to move the desktop mouse. Any input to what causes cuffs to fray so easily appreciated. :roll:

John Lever

My post is really about the current issues -
No custom work
Poor choice of hides
No sheepskin in mid-winter
Very high prices
Long delivery times

We have all had great jackets in the past, but what about experiences at the moment ?
The ELC from the 90's is a very different animal from that of 2011 !

zoomer

unclegrumpy said:
My only gripe and hold up in ordering has revolved around sizing...and maybe price to some extent. Since the Eastman jackets are not custom sized, it would be very helpful if the actual measurements of each model and contract were posted. I find that measurements are easiest way to sort out what the size in collar really means.

Case in point, I also have a recent Eastman Cable, a very nice jacket in my officially recommended size, but it is too small....but I am unsure exactly what up sizing will get me. Hopefully one day, I will be able to try one on in a bigger size to actually find out.
Is it possible they consider their fit to be proprietary? Or at least to be info that's best kept limited to serious buyers?

I find most ELC 44s to be a bit snug, especially thru the waist and neckline, and 46s to be slack thru the waist, as if the 46-and-up customer is a whole new body type (and maybe they usually are).

CBI said:
Great products but too many compromises for me as a serious buyer of A-2's.
Careful there bro...You just called several dozen Eastman wearers "unserious." ;)
(I assume you, too, are a wearer and not just a buyer.)

Gary has been asked a billion times over to make a simple copy of an A-2 with NO modern changes but has never quite done it to my knowledge - pretty close though and very cool looking jackets.
What are some of their usual modern changes?

Finally, the knits thing.
I've got the old style, loose-knit unribbed cuffing on 3 ELC jackets. It goes shapeless and slack.
2 others have a tighter-knit, fine-ribbed goods that holds its shape well (at least so far), but is lightweight.
What's the deal?

nogbat

if any forumites are in london ,, american classics in covent garden , you can see most elc jackets in the flesh so to speak .. they have a good selection and all sizes too, they can also order jackets in the store for you...

John Lever

Unfortunately the last time I was there they had very little stock. It's not too far away from Lewis Leathers though ..

stanier

if any forumites are in london ,, american classics in covent garden , you can see most elc jackets in the flesh so to speak .. they have a good selection and all sizes too,

I haven't been for a couple of months but last time I was there the ELC choice was on a 3ft clothes rail with a handful of .50 cal A-2's and B-3 plus several other leathers (non ELC) I personally wouldn't give house room to.

Great news if this is now a much more representative outlet

Jaguar46

CBI said:
Assuming 10 guys were asking Gary once every 10 seconds, it would take them 31.7 years to complete the asking. Someone is quite persistent.

rich

stanier said:
if any forumites are in london ,, american classics in covent garden , you can see most elc jackets in the flesh so to speak .. they have a good selection and all sizes too,

I haven't been for a couple of months but last time I was there the ELC choice was on a 3ft clothes rail with a handful of .50 cal A-2's and B-3 plus several other leathers (non ELC) I personally wouldn't give house room to.

Great news if this is now a much more representative outlet

Yes, when you've more jackets at home than they have in the shop, you know something's not right.......... very disappointing, so like you I hope it's changed now.