• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather Clothing

John Lever

I thought it might be interesting to see what members think of the currents levels of service/customer satisfaction/product range as compared to the past.
I have had many telephone conversations with Gary over the years and swapped many e-mails, and I like him so this post is not about Eastman bashing.

For me the greatest issue has been the very long delivery times on sheepskin and the poor choice offered on the sheepskin types. The only one we seem to like here is the RW.
The RAF hides IMO are just awful. The Devon Fleece hides were probably the worst, most buyers having sold them on quickly or sent them back for a credit. Even Allen Eastman admitted that he didn't like them.
I purposefully did not wear mine as I was certain that after the initial novelty had worn off I would not like it. Gary did very kindly give me a full credit after a couple of months.
I also think it's rather a backward step to leave the Re-issue Department empty just to encourage sales of new jackets. There must be many people who are unable to afford a new jacket, so a second-hand or second quality would be a good way to establish a new customer.

Can we as a group have any influence ?
There is the Guest book, and I have left a couple of posts there asking about some of the issues mentioned above.
I can remember a time when I used to gaze at the site and wish that I could afford to buy several jackets that were there. Now I never do this even though I can easily afford any of them.

atkins

In the past,, however odd my request and questions, Gary always answer my emails in 2 days tops. I still can not easily afford even the cheapest ELC jacket yet, so i don't know what would the delivery is like..oh and ELC don't ship to my country for whatever reason.

Eastman have the hard to find hardwares ,the patterns, great looking website and good communication.

Oscar

stanier

Over the years I've bought a few Eastman A-2's, a few Buzz bits and pieces including a couple of nylon jackets. l aso bought a D-1 a year or so ago which I love.

I'm really pleased we have ELC in the UK and have always found them problem free to deal with, other than e-mail response which I've found to be sometimes good, sometimes no response at all.

I think the sheepsking problem this winter was a real howler. I can't be the only customer who would have bought a B-3 when the UK snow was in full swing and full of pre-Christmas jollity. And whilst I'm very happy with the finish on my D-1 I have the impression the whole broken grain thing should be revisited. In honesty, that B-3 on the website does look papery.

I wish they'd stock more Buzz Rickson stuff too! For some reason no more officers low quarters (I called once and was told no more ever of these).

And they sold out of A-1 mechanics sweaters in my size just when I wanted to order one! Don't they realise! ;)

John Lever

I think a few messages on the guest book might help Gary to reconsider some of his policies. They may be very busy at the moment but when/if the GBP goes up things could change.

nogbat

ive dealt with elc for some years and have had good relations with gary and the team... the coment about the d1 and b3 new hides is correct though ,having seen both up close ... papery.. is the right description.. but each to his own i have a goodwear star a2 ,, so some would say wow .. but not me ,, not keen on the colour , the fit ... oh i just love having a moan ... :lol: :lol:

John Lever

My question is, ' who are they selling to ? '
It seems very few here like the dry look of the skins. And I don't think we are that hard to please, look at the very high sales prices of early jackets on ebay.
There are also the baffling denials that come out. The denial of the Aviakit Irvin, and the denial that they ever made Anj-4's with russet trim. Very confusing.
Apart from the A-1 and RW sheepskins the rest are not as good as those of 10 to 15 years ago.

Aero don't really offer an alternative either.Though they make excellent Moto/Utility jackets, the military ones aren't up the same level as Eastman and with very long delivery times and dodgy patterns particularly for the RAF jacket.
So that's it really, GW for A-2's and RMNZ for all sheepskins if you are rich enough...

Roughwear

John, they are not selling me! ;)

I agree with most of the views expressed in this post. Over the years I have owned most of their original maker and house A2s, examples of all their RAF jackets and several B-3s plus various other items.

I have retained three jackets, the 1933 Werber A2, which I like because it is such an unusual early contract, the RW B-10 and an early RW redskin B-3 with an original Talon zip. There is sadly nothing on their website that I would consider buying at present. Having seen their new hh at Duxford I was not tempted to splash out nearly £700 for an A2 as I have paid much less for wearable originals. My original seal Star is one such jacket and is not too perfect to be worn everyday if I wish.

Similarly their current offering of Irvins are good, but not as accurate in terms of fleece as some of the ones from the 1990s. You can pick up a decent original for less if you are my size.

stanier

I have to say the broken grain finish on my D-1 does look fine, and I don't think it's my imagination that it has developed slightly more of a sheen as I've worn it, and it's certainly to me one of the best jackets I've ever owned. I'll try and find time this weekend to take a pic.

However, if I was to improve it, it would have been not so matt from the start, (oh, and an original maker label would have been nice!) but that RW B-3 on the website does look papery. I remember looking at the RW B-3 at Duxford and don't recall it being so papery in the flesh, but may memory aint what it used to be!

With regards to Goodwear for A-2's and RMNZ for sheepskins is good logic for great jackets. However, with cost of an RMNZ and leadtimes at Goodwear being a real challenge for those of us with patience problems, IMHO ELC should be working to build on strengths of much shorter leadtimes (even, dare I say it, in stock) and at a much more favourable price.

stanier

and at a much more favourable price

Sorry, just read this back and realised it might read that I'm suggesting ELC review their prices, which I'm not and don't have a view on. Just trying to suggest they capitalise on their B-3 being considerably cheaper (in the UK at least) than RMNZ.

Cheers

unclegrumpy

I bought several Eastman's in the late 1980's and early 1990's and found the customer service to be excellent. I have been thinking of upgrading to a newer model, and in the past years, have asked a few questions, which Gary has always answered promptly.

My only gripe and hold up in ordering has revolved around sizing...and maybe price to some extent. Since the Eastman jackets are not custom sized, it would be very helpful if the actual measurements of each model and contract were posted. I find that measurements are easiest way to sort out what the size in collar really means.

Case in point, I also have a recent Eastman Cable, a very nice jacket in my officially recommended size, but it is too small....but I am unsure exactly what up sizing will get me. Hopefully one day, I will be able to try one on in a bigger size to actually find out.

269sqnhudson

I had their newer 40 pattern Irvin and hated it, lots of areas where the surface layer was pilling away from the rest and also the finish was an awful matt horror.

I think they are silly asking £600 + for the newer A2s and I'm not a fan of the new warhorse at all. I love my Cable which they still currently stock but no doubt will change soon.

I'm essentially in the same position as you John. I've been disappointed also with the low Buzz stock and random massive price hikes.

I'd like an Irvin next winter but will go to Aero I think. For me the pattern isn't as important as the sheepskin quality and Eastman's sheepskin to my eye is not good quality especially in terms of the finish. Even my girlfriend said the finish seemed cheap and badly done.

Tom

wheat1479

I have a russett horsehide Rough Wear bought from one of the members afew years ago,great jacket.I last year bought the Hartmann Napa brown jacket.It is outstanding,but would have preferred horsehide or their russet goatskin.If they let you choose the skins like John Chapman and Aero of Scotland.Also the prices and not doing custom I think hurts them somewhat

siddhartha

Administrator
I've got an Eastman Hartmann jacket, and the leather they used is awesome!

I usually don't go for steerhide in military-type jackets, preferring HH, but I really am impressed with the leather they used on this one.

Clark J

I've always had great CS from Gary & Rob and I think Gary's dad. I don't claim to know much about the correctness of ELCs shearling but I have a mint piece of an original B-3 and my new style D-1 matches perfect! That being said those repo Crown zips are CRAP!Just wish it had Talons. I also have an old Redskin D-1 with Talons and I love it!!! I don't even remember how I bought it probably Greedbay,,Just wish it was as long as my crinkled D-1 (24 in zip),,If it was I dought I would have purchased the newer D-1. As for their A-2s I've owned 6 and still have 2,,my Monarch is one size to big and I have an old 1401 that looks the part,just wish Gary would add a little elastic to the knits,they are also not good,but I do like the jackets! Sorry to say if JC could have ELCs delivery time I don't think ELC would sell many A-2s.

rich

John, any reason why you don't buy original jackets? Then you would circumvent all your issues with repros at a stroke.
They're out there, just waiting for you.................

John Lever

rich said:
John, any reason why you don't buy original jackets? Then you would circumvent all your issues with repros at a stroke.
Rich,
You are right, but at the moment the prices have gone silly. I did try on Ian's Links jacket and liked it. I would love a jacket like Andrew's Wareings if he would part with it.

rich

John Lever said:
rich said:
Rich,
You are right, but at the moment the prices have gone silly. I did try on Ian's Links jacket and liked it. I would love a jacket like Andrew's Wareings if he would part with it.

Yes John, the 'Irvin market' is high - hopefully it will settle down over the summer? Can you try convincing yourself that originals would be an investment? I agree, that Wareings is something special. It doesn't suit Andrew at all does it? I think he looks terrible in it. Really bad. Ridiculous. He really should sell that jacket. Sell it. Today. These aren't the 'droids you're looking for - you can go about your business............