• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Leather Clothing

CBI

John Lever said:
My post is really about the current issues -
No custom work
Poor choice of hides
No sheepskin in mid-winter
Very high prices
Long delivery times

We have all had great jackets in the past, but what about experiences at the moment ?
The ELC from the 90's is a very different animal from that of 2011 !

Right, OK, yes stick with TOPIC - current ELC - no direct experience. Photos looking less impressive. Don't care for the Warhorse/Time Worn B-3 and Irvins. It does not look they way I understand these vintage jackets to "wear". Yes, higher prices. For me in the US, Good Wear a better buy for A-2's. The new ELC A-2's (re-launched) look better than their older models so progress is good.

My comment about modern concessions has to do with the fit/drape. They have always been cut for the modern frame. If there are contracts where they are spot on then I stand corrected. Sorry, I don't want to do ELC bashing, to each his own. If I want a 100% clone of an actual contract in a repro, I am not sure ELC is the best option. But, this may not be the case with current ELC A-2 stock. Also, with cutoms, VAT, exchange rates, waiting times, ELC might be a choice for EU folks over other makers. Who knows?

With all this said, I am awaiting delivery of an old used ELC house A-2 that I could not resist on eBay - a great worn hide, a great buy! So, nice pretty stuff.

I guess custom work may not be paying off for them.

unclegrumpy

zoomer said:
I find most ELC 44s to be a bit snug, especially thru the waist and neckline
Zoomer, I agree with you.

I also must say the size 40 Eastman I bought in the eighties was a bit snug to start with, but shrunk more in my closet. The size 42 I got in the early nineties to replace it shrunk up too....in just a few short years of hanger time! The size 44 Cable I have now kind of has the same problem...though it was always too snug in the neck and across the shoulders. Clearly, this is all Gary's fault! :lol:

Tim P

unclegrumpy said:
zoomer said:
I find most ELC 44s to be a bit snug, especially thru the waist and neckline
Zoomer, I agree with you.

I also must say the size 40 Eastman I bought in the eighties was a bit snug to start with, but shrunk more in my closet. The size 42 I got in the early nineties to replace it shrunk up too....in just a few short years of hanger time! The size 44 Cable I have now kind of has the same problem...though it was always too snug in the neck and across the shoulders. Clearly, this is all Gary's fault! :lol:

a size 44 cable would be nice in my closet.

unclegrumpy

Tim P said:
a size 44 cable would be nice in my closet.
It might well be getting close to the time for this jacket to make its exit. However, I have been attempting to do some shrinkage on what goes inside it, and that might make a difference. Thus far, the results have not been too successful :(

By the way, I've been using the officially approved VLJ hot water treatment every morning, and no matter how hot the water or how long I stand there, I always come out the exact same size. :eek:

unclegrumpy

Dr H said:
But have your wrinkles become more pronounced? :?
Yes, but as long as I keep the mirrors all fogged up, everything looks pretty damn good. However, once the mist clears, one can clearly see that the grain is now far too pronounced in the wrong places, and the formally rich patina has grown pale....very pale. Old goat is proving to be very difficult to work with....:shock:

Aerosquad

I feel that the fact that ELC has to offer a weathered looking jacket or krinkled as you call it is because they lack the authenticity that they advertise and swear by.
As I have said in the past, it takes only a few times of wear of an ELC sheepskin jacket, mostly the B3, for the finish to start deteriorating. Hence in a year or two you will have a jacket that looks like it is 60 years old. A broken in look is of course desirable but bald spots and over all cracking makes the jacket only wearable in a very leisurly manner, i.e. with jeans or khakis on the week ends. It is not a presentable garment to wear elswhere.
The originals were not all like this, their finish was desingned to protect the wearer. Yes after harsh use from personnel performing their jobs alot did get beat up but when was the last time anyone hear flew a mission in a WWII aircraft?
ELC's position that "thats how the originals wore" is a fabrication. You know why? Thats what they say about any problem they have about their products. Aero and Buzz same thing.

CBI

I have seen period photos of guys wearing B-3's and the finish has looked like what happens with the Eastmans.

Aerosquad

Sure, during a war things, especially clothing, do get a lot of wear and tear but I have seen sheepskin jackets D1s, B3s & B6s that are 60 years old and look better than my ELC B3 when it was 2 years old.

Pete17

I bought the RW1401 a few years back and it has been a great jacket and gets a lot of use. Dealing with Gary was a pleasure. I needed a custom fit and the service was A1.

Prices have risen recently but that seems to be common across all retail business.
I am curious though as to why the standard Monarch A2 is so much dearer than the RW1401.
I like the Monarch but the price is hard to justify.

Cheers
Pete

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pete17 said:
I am curious though as to why the standard Monarch A2 is so much dearer than the RW1401.
I like the Monarch but the price is hard to justify.

I guess the premium on the Monarch is for the Italian warhorse hide ... don't worry, the Rough Wear price will increase soon. ;)

Roughwear

David is quite correct. Gary has plans to release the RW 1401-P in Italian Warhorse hide and then the price will shoot up. It will be on a par with Good Wear prices. I actually prefer the current hh which is used to construct the 1401-P. It is quite close to the hh used on originals. I'm not convinced the new Italian hh will be an improvement on the existing hh and certainly comparing the batch used on the new Monarch at Duxford last year with my near mint RW 16159 original the Italian Warhorse is too shiny and thick. Perhaps subsequent batches are different.

better duck

Clark J said:
(...) and I think Gary's dad.
Indeed: Alan, and a fine gentleman he is. I have met him a couple of times when visiting Ivybridge / ELC and he is ever so nice. I very much appreciated our talks. About jackets and motorbikes.

better duck

Roughwear said:
(...) the Italian Warhorse is too (...) thick.
Too thick is strange and I would think rather unnecessary. I visited ELC a couple of years ago and Alan demonstrated a machine that "shaves" a hide, when it is too thick. The entire piece of hide goes through a pair of rollers (like in a clothes wringer) and behind that the hide is shaved to the desired thickness, controlable to 10th of mm's, so very accurate.