• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Irvine with added practicality

chamboid

After much deliberation I decided to modify my Eastman 1942 Irvine I picked up a few years ago. Loved the jacket, though the lack of pockets made it awkward and impractical for wear, especially for carrying anything extra like earphones, smoking paraphernalia or gloves.

After seeing these photographs on a secondhand clothing store's website and FL it gave me and idea. I'm deliberated, and thought maybe I should just leave it alone or sell it.

I ended up thinking if I'm going to wear this jacket then I need a pocket and I do want to wear it, so what have I got to loose, let's get a pocket added. After posting on here and getting a few replied as to finding an original pocket from a pair or Irvine trousers to put on, I got a very kind offer from Steve (STEVE.S) who made me one to my specifications and ins leather that with a bit of fading should match the horsehide taping.

I received the pocket last year, but the weather was so mild held off on having added untill now. A great little alteration and repair shop on Great Titchfield called Atelier & Repair did the work and I think I came out very well.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m524/chamboid/Mobile%20Uploads/BE782801-104B-44FB-A694-50CC44CB1134_zpstzxvxsqp.jpg[/img]

I also got the external pocket backed on the inside adding a sack pocket for added storage

CBI

congrats - looks cool and of course, practical. I have been considering adding an inside cloth pocket on one or two of my A-2's for practicality - iPhone, etc. Hand stitched through the lining (and not the leather of course. maybe going the Blood Chit route but something a bit smaller. Again, as a field mod, happened all the time!

Silver Surfer

outstanding. a good idea, well handled. i agree with the prob with irvins, and though i have had irvins, it always drove me nutz that there were no pockets. unless you are strapped into a seat harness in a cockpit, you need to address some degree of practicality when considering "normal" day to day wearing of flight gear.

John Lever

It doesn't really matter what I think if you are happy that's the main thing. The original jacket looks really great I love that version with the dark skins and russet tapes. I'd like to own one as nice as yours it looks mint.

John Lever

If you find a size 44/46 from the same batch please let me know.
I have thought about customising an Irvin . A dark brown shaggy collar looks very stylish.

FlyingYankee

I respect anyones right to modify, and I do like the inside pocket. Respectfully, the outside pocket is not for me as I think it throws off the symmetry of the jacket. However each to his own taste.

chamboid

I will John, the newer ones seem to come up more often.

The inside pocket was more of an after thought as I though the sheepskin might need a backing to keep it strong. The asymmetric look I like as its not Farr off a B-2.

MikeyB-17

It's nicely done, and I can appreciate the practicality, but I gotta say I prefer the version with the two smaller pockets than the one big one. That big one would be a pest to get stuff out of the bottom of, I would have thought.

blackrat2

That's not a bad job and will get better with age
That top Irvin was for sale at Rokit...its been for sale for literally years,probably overpriced from my limited knowledge...I think the zip is non period also

Steve27752

I like the idea, in the 1960's early 70's my dad used to have an Irvin with pockets on the front.
I also would prefer two pockets and not one large one. but each to there own taste.

Roughwear

I can see why a pocket has been added to the Irvin. Of course you see single pockets and pairs on original Irvins -theatre and post War additions. Personally they are not to my taste as they spoil the symmetry of the Irvin, but each to his own.