• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman BS, Horse-pucky, and a Hornswaggle

Smithy

The example I'd point to here is their claim, in the catalog they released, that original A-2s were made of vegetable-tanned leather, which is simply false

That's because Jan if he wrote they were chrome tanned and then all his product descriptions say veg tanned, along with the usual "our jackets are the most accurate, etc, etc", people other than us would also be saying, "Hang on a second..."

Charles over at HPA is famous for telling porkies about jackets in his marketing spiels. I hit him up about some absolute tripe he was making up about the red MA-1 and the Flite Wear/Land Manufacturing "NASA" L-2B a few years back and he was not at all happy and hit the roof, even though he didn't have a leg to stand on in terms of veracity.

Kermit3D

The example I'd point to here is their claim, in the catalog they released, that original A-2s were made of vegetable-tanned leather, which is simply false, and I'm sure Gary knows that. Maybe the employee writing the promotional material for them didn't know that, but that should have been caught during the editing process, or at least received a correction on their site.

... and the B-6 Rough Wear jackets that never existed. It's a pain in the *** to drop $2000 on a "perfectly accurate reproduction" of a jacket that didn't exist.
... and the "Ostmann" jackets that have nothing to do with a luftwaffe jacket. Also does not correspond to the private purchases of the German pilots (they are superb jackets, I do not want to offend anybody, but not luftwaffe).
... I'm not talking about the "Hartmann" jacket which is also quite inaccurate (contrary to what ELC says).

Juanito

The example I'd point to here is their claim, in the catalog they released, that original A-2s were made of vegetable-tanned leather, which is simply false, and I'm sure Gary knows that. Maybe the employee writing the promotional material for them didn't know that, but that should have been caught during the editing process, or at least received a correction on their site.
Absolutely.

P-47 thunderbolt

Having just bought a second hand GW RW23380 - with a NOS Talon slider on it I had a thought.
This is the speil on the website from the sale page of the jacket- 'We've seen two formats of Talon used on Rough Wear W535-AC-23380 A-2s, along with Crowns'
This got me thinking, could the Hilts A2 be a redye 23380? Or are there other features that rule this out?

P-47 thunderbolt

zipper_box2.jpg

mulceber

Having just bought a second hand GW RW23380 - with a NOS Talon slider on it I had a thought.
This is the speil on the website from the sale page of the jacket- 'We've seen two formats of Talon used on Rough Wear W535-AC-23380 A-2s, along with Crowns'
This got me thinking, could the Hilts A2 be a redye 23380? Or are there other features that rule this out?
No reason it couldn’t be the 23380, as a re-dyed 23380 with a talon zip would be indistinguishable from a re-dyed 27752. I think people lean more toward the 27752 because it was a larger contract, but it could easily be either of them.