• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious, seeking info on this jacket

amccleary

Hello! First time. Please let me know if I’ve posted in the wrong place. Out of curiosity (and because we love it) I’m looking for any information about this jacket my girlfriend found thrifting. There are no tags or brand names to be seen. Eventually would like to spruce it up and wear it. It’s a bit stiff.

Thank you for your insight!

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0432.jpeg
    IMG_0432.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    974.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86

Dumpster D

Oh man, what a shame about the liner. Ooooof!!! Tony the tiger.

*hissss*

Otherwise it would be an amazing Jacket, my wild guess it was possibly 1940's judging by the patina.

Would replace the liner, and leave the rest of the jacket un-treated.

Nice score.

Hopefully some other members here could make an ID on this one.

amccleary

T
Oh man, what a shame about the liner. Ooooof!!! Tony the tiger.

*hissss*

Otherwise it would be an amazing Jacket, my wild guess it was possibly 1940's judging by the patina.

Would replace the liner, and leave the rest of the jacket un-treated.

Nice score.

Hopefully some other members here could make an ID on this on

Dumpster D

Thanks! :) do you suppose the previous owner put this liner inside? I wonder what it looked like before.
The previous owner? Yea, I strongly suspect they replaced the liner.

Probably old world textile cotton liner like a WWII Jacket, or a quilted sateen sort of liner originally something absolutely beautiful. It would have had a nice shuttle weave makers label/tag. Likely the liner was starting to fall apart around the cuffs and neck and pits, and waist, or the liner had already been removed.

Again, I don't know these jackets like some other members may, give it some time, hopefully someone here will chime in and let you know what you have exactly. but it looks legit, It's got a wonderful grain, and a nice time-worn patina.

If you can talk to some people and ID the Jacket you could find a place that could do a wonderful restoration job on it.

Totally worth having it restored to it's proper state.

B-Man2

Have you checked the inside of the sleeves ?
If the liner is just in the torso the sleeves could show the correct liner .. or … may have a tag in a seam .

B-Man2

Your jacket looks very similar to a 1930s era half belt jacket that is currently reproduced today by Aero Leather of Scotland. I have no idea who made yours but if you wanted to have the lining replaced and the jacket brought back to life there are a few people here who could make that look like new .
IMG_2292.jpeg
IMG_2291.jpeg

Marc mndt

My best guess would be late 40s because of the elastic waist. At some point it probably had a hook closure similar to this Montgomery Ward jacket.

Like others have already mentioned, the lining is a replacement. The way the sleeve cuffs are finished is also non-original.

IMG_4677.jpeg

Dumpster D

Here's a question:

When did 'Tiger' print material first come into fashion? Was that a thing in the 1950's or more of a 70's punk rock/new wave sort of fashion?

Pa12

Here's a question:

When did 'Tiger' print material first come into fashion? Was that a thing in the 1950's or more of a 70's punk rock/new wave sort of fashion?
I would say 50’s and into 60’s. I say that because I remember my mum sending me to kindergarten with a tiger print banky for nap time. 1965. But I also remember a lot of women’s coats in tiger or leopard. In the 70’s it went to pimps hats:(;)

amccleary

I'd guess it's from the early '50s, just based on the use of elastic to gather the waist. Do you have a picture of the zipper? That might help to narrow down the time period. Assuming everything else is in good condition, I'd just have the liner replaced and maybe LIGHTLY condition the leather.
Ah, great point. The main zipper is missing, sadly, but the pocket zippers look like this. Worn, but I believe it says talon.
IMG_0499.png

amccleary

Have you checked the inside of the sleeves ?
If the liner is just in the torso the sleeves could show the correct liner .. or … may have a tag in a seam .
No luck there, but if it matched the lining of the pockets, it’d look like this.
IMG_0440.jpeg