• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit USA A-2

PilatusPilot

Hello everyone! It's been a while that I've been dreaming about a cockpit USA jacket! It's one of those things like buying a Rolex, (at least for me). Now what if I said that you could buy your Rolex just for a fraction of the cost? Yeah well that's what happened here... I found this cockpit a2 for 100$... Amazing price even if it's not a good repro of an a2.. still 100$ for this beauty.

So here's my thoughts of cockpit. First of all, I think they have nice customer service. I sent them an email with pictures and labels of this jacket prior to buying it, to make sure it was a real one. And they answered in a matter of minutes. They didn't have to tho, it's not their job helping people buying used jackets, but they still kindly provided me with some answers. Secondly, the leather... Well you can see by yourself... It's amazing to say the least. Is it accurate to what they used back in the days? Probably not... But it's still gorgeous? Oh yeah. The smell is very nice, it's amazing to walk around in the jacket just because of that smell. The stitching seems solid and overall it feels like a quality jacket.

Here's the biggest downside of them all... Mostly I think it's on me... I bought it impulsively without measuring everything properly and I definitely feel like it's too big for me (too baggy). HOWEVER, the sleeves feel to be a good leinght and then I lift my arms it does pull quite well under my armpits.. meaning that going any smaller would make it hard to move around in it? Not sure if that's how the a2 is made or is it because cockpits modern iteration of the jacket is not perfect. I'll let you guys to be the judges tho. let me know if it looks too big. Then again, I'm not sure if I went smaller, how would I be able to wear it without being limited in motion.

Verdict, great jacket, great leather, but if you're planning to use it to fly like I was... Forget it!! It's comfortable to be a daily jacket but it's waaaayyy too baggy to be used in a cockpit. Putting your seatbelts over it is going to be a hustle, if it's a tight cockpit then the jacket might be even more in the way. So.. I'll keep the jacket and wear it as a daily, but I guess I'm back on the lookout for a perfect a2 to fly in... Give me your thoughts on the sizing :) I'm very interested to hear from you.

IMG_20210307_164758.jpg
IMG_20210307_164943_edit_88499659688057.jpg
IMG_20210307_164908_edit_88463208772959.jpg
IMG_20210307_164838_edit_88472766397436.jpg
IMG_20210307_164855.jpg

Snapchat-793296565.jpg

Snapchat-343413092.jpg
Snapchat-2077445637.jpg
Snapchat-365367477.jpg

Bombing IP

The Drawing # on the label is an accepted military contract design .This Cockpit jacket jacket is nothing like an A-2 type so why do they put it in there . I am glad you are happy with your jacket that's all that matters ,not my cup of tea thankyou .

Jeff

PilatusPilot

This jacket has nothing to do with real A-2 Jacket, although "Type A-2" can be seen on the label.
But if you're happy with your jacket that's all that matters as Jeff said.

Wear it in good health!
Yeah I'm aware of that... I mean I just couldn't say no to that price man... C'mon for 100$.. too good hehehe. I'm still on a look out for a proper a2. But I want a horsehide version. Sadly I definitely can't afford Eastman or aero. And five star is out of horsehide... Any other suggestions? Maybe in the 500$ range?

PilatusPilot

The Drawing # on the label is an accepted military contract design .This Cockpit jacket jacket is nothing like an A-2 type so why do they put it in there . I am glad you are happy with your jacket that's all that matters ,not my cup of tea thankyou .

Jeff
Yeah I don't know either.. what do you think about the fit? Is it too big? Or is it just because it's not a real a2 so it sits weirdly?

Brettafett

Yeah for $100 and a comfy fit, why not. Once you get your hands on a more 'authentic' A-2, you could always move it on if you choose.

Sub $500, besides keeping a look out for a good secondhand GW, ELC, BK, Aero or the like... Five star is a good bet, I understand horsehide is on the way.

Another option is AVI LTHR. I received an email from them a few weeks ago and they will be re-releasing some original-maker jackets later this year.
I was not given a lot of details, but they have had their original WWII Bronco re-copied (see below) and will be offering in all sizes, incl. large sizes and longs... with various material options, incl horsehide!
I have one of their goat Broncos from 2019 and I love it for everyday use.
I understand they have another original G-1 (they released a 55J14 a few years back) they will be reproducing, along with a WWII M-422a and a B-3 or B-6? Not sure... Prices likely well under $500.
I understand this is the first test jacket in goat, of the new release. They dont have a presence here, so best to check in on their website from time to time...
IMG-20210215-WA0005.jpg

PilatusPilot

Yeah for $100 and a comfy fit, why not. Once you get your hands on a more 'authentic' A-2, you could always move it on if you choose.

Sub $500, besides keeping a look out for a good secondhand GW, ELC, BK, Aero or the like... Five star is a good bet, I understand horsehide is on the way.

Another option is AVI LTHR. I received an email from them a few weeks ago and they will be re-releasing some original-maker jackets later this year.
I was not given a lot of details, but they have had their original WWII Bronco re-copied (see below) and will be offering in all sizes, incl. large sizes and longs... with various material options, incl horsehide!
I have one of their goat Broncos from 2019 and I love it for everyday use.
I understand they have another original G-1 (they released a 55J14 a few years back) they will be reproducing, along with a WWII M-422a and a B-3 or B-6? Not sure... Prices likely well under $500.
I understand this is the first test jacket in goat, of the new release. They dont have a presence here, so best to check in on their website from time to time...
View attachment 54913
Oh I've been trying to get an avid jacket for ages. But they seem innactive and they don't anwser any emails regarding sizing and materials. So I was scared to purchase anything from them since there was no reply. Also for the longest time they have been out of stock on every possible size for their g1. I started seeing that they are getting back into the game tho... The restocks are starting and I'd definitely love to see a horsehide a2 from them.

Brettafett

Yes, I sent them an email at the beginning of the year, checking in on their M-422a...
They also have a WWII Perry A-2 they were going to release (going back to correspondence in late 2019)

What I gather is that besides covid stepping in, they were looking into having stuff made in China, but I dont think that worked out. I recon they have gone back to the drawing board and look to re-leauch with a new game-plan. That 'new' Bronco looks like a complete re-do. I mean, they've literally taken that WWII Bronco apart...
Horsehide is great, but it has to be decent stuff or it will turn out rubbish (same goes for Fivestar's horsehide jackets).

There's another group in Belgium I think, QMI, they make A-2s, M-422as and B-10s, at least they did. I tried a few on at an Airshow a couple of years ago and the horsehide was like cardboard. Nasty stuff. I see their A-2s on Facebook now. No offence to their efforts, but I'd never go near them.

Really though, for around $500 you should look at JaDubowmfg (referred to Platon's Dubows on here). Their Dubow A-2s are the best original-maker A-2 on the planet for the money, right now.
I am not sure if they are back tacking orders or not. Worth checking in. You simply cant beat that jacket for the price.

As for actually wearing a flight jacket in a plane, I rarely did, never needed too. The only A-2 I had back then was an ELC RW27752, but it was not great to wear in small plane, not even sitting driving a car.
When it was really cold, I had a Real McCoys B-10 that was amazing on cold days.
A light G-1 was also comfy on occasion. Back then I had an old Avirex G-1... Not very authentic, but it was comfortable to wear with arms raised out in front...

Edit: If I were to get back into a little cockpit today, my goat AVI would be my first choice! Its just so light and comfortable...

B-Man2

Great advice Bretta . If you’re looking for a flight jacket that I think works well under most flying conditions and temperatures , it would be a B-15A. If you want a leather jacket for flying , I have my own favorite but it’s a civilian jacket and they aren’t made any longer, but you can still find them on EBay .

PilatusPilot

Yes, I sent them an email at the beginning of the year, checking in on their M-422a...
They also have a WWII Perry A-2 they were going to release (going back to correspondence in late 2019)

What I gather is that besides covid stepping in, they were looking into having stuff made in China, but I dont think that worked out. I recon they have gone back to the drawing board and look to re-leauch with a new game-plan. That 'new' Bronco looks like a complete re-do. I mean, they've literally taken that WWII Bronco apart...
Horsehide is great, but it has to be decent stuff or it will turn out rubbish (same goes for Fivestar's horsehide jackets).

There's another group in Belgium I think, QMI, they make A-2s, M-422as and B-10s, at least they did. I tried a few on at an Airshow a couple of years ago and the horsehide was like cardboard. Nasty stuff. I see their A-2s on Facebook now. No offence to their efforts, but I'd never go near them.

Really though, for around $500 you should look at JaDubowmfg (referred to Platon's Dubows on here). Their Dubow A-2s are the best original-maker A-2 on the planet for the money, right now.
I am not sure if they are back tacking orders or not. Worth checking in. You simply cant beat that jacket for the price.

As for actually wearing a flight jacket in a plane, I rarely did, never needed too. The only A-2 I had back then was an ELC RW27752, but it was not great to wear in small plane, not even sitting driving a car.
When it was really cold, I had a Real McCoys B-10 that was amazing on cold days.
A light G-1 was also comfy on occasion. Back then I had an old Avirex G-1... Not very authentic, but it was comfortable to wear with arms raised out in front...

Edit: If I were to get back into a little cockpit today, my goat AVI would be my first choice! Its just so light and comfortable...
Thanks a lot for the advice! I have been considering those options. Also I found a manufacturer that doesn't seem to be popular on this forum. It's called us authentic mfg I think. They make horsehide a2s for a pretty reasonable price I'd say... Any thoughts on that maker?

Micawber

Thanks a lot for the advice! I have been considering those options. Also I found a manufacturer that doesn't seem to be popular on this forum. It's called us authentic mfg I think. They make horsehide a2s for a pretty reasonable price I'd say... Any thoughts on that maker?

Have a read of this...

busdrivermike

I used to spend hours going through the cockpit’s catalog
I still have an old one kicking around
I think it’s a nice jacket and if I’m not mistaken it’s basically
What’s worn by jerry Seinfeld here :

PilatusPilot

I used to spend hours going through the cockpit’s catalog
I still have an old one kicking around
I think it’s a nice jacket and if I’m not mistaken it’s basically
What’s worn by jerry Seinfeld here :
Looks like the exact same jacket... And the fit looks similar to mine yeah!!

PilatusPilot

Have a read of this...

Yes I see! This anwsers my question, thank you :)

Bombing IP

People mentioned B15 ,but I took it off anyway do not want to piss anyone off .Just trying to be helpful I wont bother in future ?

Jeff

Last edited:

Chandler

Hot off the press At The Front

March 12th 2021
Finally on the way: M43 field jackets and pants (yes, that includes the killers-from-the-sky models...why are people so frantic?), B10 & B15 Jackets, Army khakis, USMC khakis, and JQMD Standard Jump Uniforms. (The JQMD's are a less expensive version.) Our regular M42's will arrive...someday. M43 Liners are not on the list. Not sure why.

Jeff
Is this in the right thread?

Nevertheless, don't forget light HBT pants on sale for $29.99.

Chandler

People mentioned B15 ,but I took it off anyway do not want to piss anyone off.
I'm no moderator, and it's good info for everyone -- just thought it needed to be under an At The Front thread, not a Cockpit thread. {insert shrug here}