• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF Fleece-lined "Tankers"

MauldinFan

For those who have waited for restocking, ATF just got a batch of the most comfortable WW2 looking jacket ever.
I ordered one immediately as I expect they'll sell out soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dumpster D

Tempted by the price, although I find 'fleece' is initially relaxed, lightweight and fast drying. It's also prone to uncomfortable static cling after prolonged wear/washing of poly garments. (not that you'll be sleeping in this jacket for weeks on end or anything.)

For the price though? I might just remove the fleece liner and install a new one, using something out of natural fiber.

Last edited:

Chandler

Tempted by the price, although I find 'fleece' is initially relaxed, lightweight and fast drying. It's also prone to uncomfortable static cling after prolonged wear/washing of poly garments. (not that you'll be sleeping in this jacket for weeks on end or anything.)

For the price though? I might just remove the fleece liner and install a new one, using something out of natural fiber.
Just me, but I think you're overthinking it.

I've had one of these for a long time now and never had any second guessing with static cling or any other uncomfort. The fleece is nice and warm and really looks like the original wool.

Replacing the lining of a $99 jacket is just racking up unnecessary expense for no reason, IMHO. But to each their own.

Micawber

I should think mine has seen more shit and muck, mud and wet, oil and grease than most. As a work jacket it's great, when it gets too rancid bung it in the was and it's fit for service until the next freshen up. If shipping and customs were more favourable I'd buy another.

Dumpster D

Just me, but I think you're overthinking it.

I've had one of these for a long time now and never had any second guessing with static cling or any other uncomfort. The fleece is nice and warm and really looks like the original wool.

Replacing the lining of a $99 jacket is just racking up unnecessary expense for no reason, IMHO. But to each their own.

I'm sure the Jacket is just fine. It's my own issues from wearing Military issue Fleece bottoms, they become unbearable after wearing them over a long period of time, so it's just my own personal experience, and I like to avoid anything fleece...It's cheap poly and not organically biodegradable...So mother Earth will take a long time to digest it.

That said, I'm handy with a sewing machine, and would just copy the Fleece liner pattern after deconstructing it, and then installing something more to my own comfort, something soft and luxuriant, like Angora. It wouldn't cost me anything in labor, and would be a fun little project to try.

Last edited:

Chandler

I'm sure the Jacket is just fine. It's my own issues with wearing Military issue Fleece bottoms, they become unbearable after wearing them over a long period of time, so it's just my own personal experience, and I like to avoid anything fleece...It's cheap.
Maybe it's just military issue? I have a few fleece jackets (ski shells with zip-in fleece) that are perfect for winter around here, but I can't say I wear them over very long periods, so maybe that's the differential.

That all said, I certainly respect natural textiles.

FWIW -- ATF offers the more authentic Winter Combat Jacket with the wool lining... it's just in a different price range.

Dumpster D

I can't say I wear them over very long periods, so maybe that's the differential.

Poly fleece is fine for a Jacket you're not living in, and for the price of this tanker Jacket there will be no problem, no argument there.

It's great. I am personally interested in getting myself one of these Jackets, as another friend recently recommended ATF as we were just having the conversation about which Repro Tanker Jackets were the best bang for your buck.

I have just found personally, to have developed a sensitivity to poly fleece after prolonged wear. I do wear fleece regularly, no doubt about it. Fleece beanies, fleece neck warmer, fleece lined gloves etc. Sure. No getting around it.

Again, this is just me and my aversion to poly fleece. Synthetic has found it's way into almost all kinds of modern textiles.

This last few weeks, it was time to invest in a replacement 'Coleman' Sleeping bag. Only to find they no longer offer a cotton flannel lined sleeping bag at a lower price range under any brand name at my local sporting goods store. Everything seems to have changed over to cotton/poly in the last few years because it's cheaper to manufacture I suppose? Hence why new sleeping bags are only about $40 on sale. (You can still get cotton flannel lined bags I'm sure, but good luck getting a %100 cotton flannel liner without reading tags and doing a little research in that price range) I balked at that material for many reasons...One being that, I'm left with what feels like limited options as a consumer, so I simply walked away.

Thereafter, making the decision to just to save up and buy some Real deal 10 pound down filled Canadian forces modular sleeping bags from the Army surplus with flannelette liners that are washable and further mod the bags to remove the zippers, bust them open, and make them into 'commando' bags.

For the price of a retail premium poly/cotton lined sleeping bag, I could easily save money buying a used CF 'modular Sleep system' from the surplus store and sleep soundly, snugly and cozy warm through the coming winter months, without my leg hairs starting to feel like they're being pulled out all at once and my ankles chaffing. The flannelette liner is removable and easily washable, and I tend to sweat my gear, and it's very challenging to wash a down sleeping bag otherwise.

Poly...Try sleeping in it for weeks and months at a time in the winter. I've done some homework and some field testing to find what works best for me.

Again, please don't get me wrong, this is a Jacket that's high up on my 'want' list, and I'm sure it will be a great product.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

I've had one of these for a long time now and never had any second guessing with static cling or any other uncomfort. The fleece is nice and warm and really looks like the original wool
I agree fully with you on this.
I've worn mine a great deal and never had any issues other than one of the pocket linings wasn't sewn all the way, which I fixed with a needle and thread in 5 minutes.
I'm not kidding when I've had mine mistaken for a real one on several occasions.
I wore mine in Normandy a few years ago and right after taking this photo, a Brit walked up and said, "I cannot imagine how much you paid for an original tanker jacket in your size!"
And no, I didn't correct him...

Attachments

• 20180511015812_IMG_0740.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 56

Bilbear

Hello gentlemen,

who could tell me what is the height of the size xl jacket? I'm 6'3’’ and need to know if these jackets are tall enough before ordering. I already tried a model (qmi brand) which when I raised my arms the bottom of the jacket went up to the navel.

Thanks a lot !

B-Man2

Hello gentlemen,

who could tell me what is the height of the size xl jacket? I'm 6'3’’ and need to know if these jackets are tall enough before ordering. I already tried a model (qmi brand) which when I raised my arms the bottom of the jacket went up to the navel.

Thanks a lot !
Normally tanker jacket are on the short side. They were purposely made that way for two reasons .
1. Men were riding inside of tanks for long periods of time , sitting in confined spaces . So short waist length jackets were a necessity.
2. In colder weather tank crews wore bibbed overalls for warmth like the ones pictured below. So the overalls complemented to short waist jacket .

IMG_2127.jpeg

I suggest that if you want a longer tanker jacket that you have one custom made for you by John Chapman of Good Wear Leather, located in the U.S. I recently purchased one from John and it is as close to an original WWII tanker jacket that you can find . Outstanding value for the money .
Cheers

Shanghai-Mayne

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks a lot !
Charles,
Try Good Wear , you only need to buy once.

Bilbear

Thanks. I have just chek it. It could be an option. It seems to be a verry good product But it’s above my current budget for the use I espect. Reenactment principally
So if the atf could be long enough it will good to go.

Last edited:

Chandler

Normally tanker jacket are on the short side. They were purposely made that way for two reasons .
1. Men were riding inside of tanks for long periods of time , sitting in confined spaces . So short waist length jackets were a necessity.
2. In colder weather tank crews wore bibbed overalls for warmth like the ones pictured below. So the overalls complemented to short waist jacket .
But, but, but... it (or the pants) wasn't really designed as a "tanker" jacket...

Oh, I give up. Nevermind. :rolleyes:;)

B-Man2

I've spoken my piece, no one's listening. :confused:

I'll just say, "Winter Combat Jacket."

Maybe I'll start calling it a "P-38 Flight Jacket" since so many of those pilots appropriated the piece. ;)
And technically you’re 100% correct …. But