• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF B-10 Disappointment

A

Anonymous

us_uni_B10_main.jpg
Picture284.jpg
Picture285.jpg
Is this much ado about about nothing. I ordered an ATF B-10, aside from the jacket fitting like a sack of potatoes (I AM 6' 4" 230 LBS, THIS IS AN XL) the pocket does not have the pencil pocket stitching shown in their picture. The mouton collar in the picture looks pretty good, but the jacket I received looks like a piece of brown wool carpet. Maybe I was expecting too much? also the knits in the pictures are 5 shades darker than what I received. Maybe ATF needs to update their photo gallery.

Dr H

Poor show IMHO, you have good grounds to insist on receiving what you paid for unless the weasel words (model may differ in colour/style from that shown) are present...

dmar836

Your display looks good though!

The cuffs shouldn't be that dark anyway IMO. Are they wool? The pocket stitching would be a 1 minute fix if you have a machine(albeit through the liner without a lot of extra work). The collar could be replaced with real mouton. I would usually say, "I shouldn't have to do all that for the money." BUT......

Fit? Can't help there. Would a size smaller have helped? Getting a smaller than usual size was the consensus. BTW, I think these were patterned more off a B-15 or MA-1 or some photos rather than a slimmer A-2 or real B-10. JMO.
If you are so inclined, it might be interesting to see what a seamstress would charge to take it in, slim it up, etc.

If you are really motivated, open it at the sleeve, slim down the sides and liner, taper the sleeves more, remove the pocket flaps and change the shape, add the pencil pocket, swap the collar material, drop in a good zipper, shave the liner down to spec. and have a much more accurate jacket. Back to the BUT - all these fixes are why they are so much cheaper than say ELC. Without these deficiencies, who would drop that extra $400?
If it were mine, I would do all that but it would be such a project that I could then have justified an ELC.

It's always frustrating when we don't get what we expect. For me, I will always notice and apologize for things and would never be happy.

JMO. Thanks for posting,
Dave

dmar836

Chitchat,
I'd be interested to see it laying flat. I don't have an ATF but here is an original B-10 compared with an original B-15. I'd bet the pattern accounts for many of the problems seen.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

Dave

Monsoon

I have an ATF B-10. I bought it when it first came out.

I think it fits more like my current CWU flight jacket, so that doesn't really bother me.

Mine has the pencil pocket like the real ones. No idea what's up with yours if you say it doesn't have it.

The collar isn't the best, but it's servicable. I'm going to swap mine out simply because I like the white collar ones that Buzz has.

A

Anonymous

I thought about putting a number to guild on my clippers and testing it out on the inside of the sleeve. I'll get back to you with pics.

Monsoon

dmar836 said:
Hair clippers............. or a "Flowbee"! :lol:

I was thinking hair clippers, but I think the "fur" lining would bind the teeth up.

A "Flowbee"? Wow, like, "As Seen on TV"? :lol:

zoomer

Doggie clippers, maybe? Someone said they'd gotten good results using them to thin the fleece of a B-3.

I sympathize with your plight chitchat, but I can also picture Rollin Curtis making an example of you on the site. As a former senior non-com, he is rather proud of his scorched-earth customer relations policy.

dmar836

Joking about the Flowbee but the concept of vacuuming the hairs to get them to stand up while being trimmed is a good one. One could adapt a home vac onto some clippers IMO. I might have to do that for my B-15 project.
Dave

A

Anonymous

What bothers me about ATF is that he insists that he copies original patterns. My tanker fits like a sack of potatoes too.

A

Anonymous

Oh forgot, it still fits like a sack of potatoes after I soaked it in warm water, and stuck it in a hot dryer. It shrank a little in length, but is still a sloppy fit.

Clark J

I picked up one of those ATF seconds...my only problem with it is I should have got a large.I have an Eastman and another cheap repo that I customized so I knew what I was getting!!!The ATF is a good beater wearer and I will say it's warmer than my Eastman.

m444uk

Made in China ? Most ATF stuff is .

I think what tends to happen is the first batch is to the commissioning companies specs, but after that the suppliers quality falls away.

RCSignals

From ATF

we manufacture 75% of our uniforms and 50% of our field gear in our own facility. Most of the other itmes we stock are made exclusively for us to our own specifications by contractors in the US and overseas.

In the US, "overseas" usually means China. It would be nice if companies would specify with teh items when they list them the place/country of manufacture.

Willy McCoy

I bought an Aero Leather Clothing "Experimental Test Sample" B-10 off another member here, even after I read the bad reviews on it. It has lasted for many winters very well and I've no complaints. I am 6'2" and 185 lbs and the jacket is a size 46. Fits like it's tailor made. No pencil slot.