• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army mountain and ski parkas

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
I don't think it's crazy at all. LL Bean and other outdoor suppliers were/are inspired by military designs.

Yeah, I've seen other clothing manufacturers who had government contracts, it's just that I'd never seen an actual issue anorak that looked like my Bean.

I wish I could remember if they sold it for hunting, skiing, some other outdoor activity...

At 17 I got it 'cause it was cool. ;)

Steve H

dujardin said:
and now, have a look on this photos, one show the label US Air Force
KGrHqJHJEcFEik0f5BRLTm8n2Rg60_57_zps0e9c245b.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-WW2-10t ... 7675.l2557

so, my confusion is biggggggg
was the post WW2 USAF mechanic's jacket the same as the WW2 mountain troops parka ????
what about labels ?????
was this parka still produce after war, i think yes; wich denomination???

can we be deceived ????? thinking we bought a mountain troops parka in place of a USAF parka ??

maybe this parka is also reproduced, knowing she is well researched by collector????

;)

i correct a little my post after i took a look in my 'gear up' - there is of course nothing to see with the D-2 :oops:

I think i have the answer-After the War, the US Air Force adopted much of the old mountain gear as winter survival items, saving time and cost in development. Parkas were packed in B-17s and C-47s, and saved many an airman's life in extreme situations. The "U.S. AIR FORCE" at the left shoulder, denoting its use as a survival parka.

watchmanjimg

Steve H said:
I think i have the answer-After the War, the US Air Force adopted much of the old mountain gear as winter survival items, saving time and cost in development. Parkas were packed in B-17s and C-47s, and saved many an airman's life in extreme situations. The "U.S. AIR FORCE" at the left shoulder, denoting its use as a survival parka.

Steve, these are good points but keep in mind that airmen get just as cold as soldiers when winter hits. This particular garment appears to be a standard Army pattern rather than a unique mountain item, and as such would have been worn for general duty even in less than extreme situations. There was tremendous commonality in the early years, but the USAF continued to share many uniform items with the Army even into this century.