• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army mountain and ski parkas

Steve H

Hi all

I just sourced another US second pattern mountain parka via an unrelated link elsewhere on this forum and it spurred me to start this topic- I have had a keen interest in mountain kit for some years and more recently started gathering a collection ranging from ski wax to clothing and other items- since this forum deals with vintage jackets, here are 2 parkas to start with- the latest aquisition first and then my pride of the collection thus far... apologies but these pics double up from another post... feel free to follow up with your parkas!

Parka sourced from Ontario, Canada- 1st SSF? Fur trim missing but can be easily replaced by moi
618221431_o_zpsf123bd09.jpg

618221423_o_zps1216851f.jpg

618221526_o_zps377004bd.jpg

And my mint, 42 dated, large size labelled 2nd pattern parka- apologies for the poor pics;

DSCF5502_zps9d6b048f.jpg

DSCF5499_zps34daa1ae.jpg

ausreenactor

I went the 'Airborne' route and not the FSSF/10th route as I am para-qualified and I can not ski. No, the OCD would require me to ship bulky and heavy items I could not move through the USPS. No use having one part of the collection without the rest. Do have the mountain leggings here if really need some.

I bought a BR M-1951 parka. And an original went for $229 only yesterday. Aside from that I am content for now..

Couchy

Steve H

Yeah, got those books Couchy- brilliant reference and amazing pieces inside!

I can ski/ board but never jumped so my natural course was to follow the hills in collecting! Have also climbed a bit over the years. i also have a bit of Gebirgsjager stuff, climbing kit and whatnot.

Peter Graham

Great post. I love kit like this. Are those parkas lined or just shells and if they are lined, what with ?

Steve H

No lining Peter and reversible only ie green one side, white the other with no intermediate layer of lining- they are poplin, so pretty light but windproof/ showerproof. One of the first layering principle garment series.

image-1_zpsb5b0f086.jpg

Steve H

Its a Johnson automatic rifle- limited issue to mainly forcemen of 1st Special Service Force but i believe para- marines may have used them too(???)

The pics are of forcemen fighting in Italy, the johnny gunner is probably in the vicinity of Mt Camino or Radicosa

dujardin

lot's for sale this time on ebay
close to mint condition
?????????????
strange....
post war production maybe
Korean war stock now for sale ????

have a look on this first for sale, on the label i read 1946 or 1948 and you ????
T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbwUBRDnWCpvFw60_3_zpsf3be7e28.jpg

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/11100858165 ... 1436.l2649

those following looks too mint for me to be ww2

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/22119946675 ... 1436.l2649

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/23093891509 ... 1436.l2649

and now, have a look on this photos, one show the label US Air Force
KGrHqJHJEcFEik0f5BRLTm8n2Rg60_57_zps0e9c245b.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-WW2-10t ... 7675.l2557

so, my confusion is biggggggg
was the post WW2 USAF mechanic's jacket the same as the WW2 mountain troops parka ????
what about labels ?????
was this parka still produce after war, i think yes; wich denomination???

can we be deceived ????? thinking we bought a mountain troops parka in place of a USAF parka ??

maybe this parka is also reproduced, knowing she is well researched by collector????

;)

i correct a little my post after i took a look in my 'gear up' - there is of course nothing to see with the D-2 :oops:

watchmanjimg

Marcel, I don't think this is a repro and it need not have been produced as an item exclusive to the USAF. A possible scenario is that the garment simply found its way into the USAF supply system and the decal was added at the unit level sometime thereafter.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Great photos Steve. What the heck is that gun in the last photo, some Marine corps oddity ?

Steve H said:
Its a Johnson automatic rifle- limited issue to mainly forcemen of 1st Special Service Force but i believe para- marines may have used them too(???)

The pics are of forcemen fighting in Italy, the johnny gunner is probably in the vicinity of Mt Camino or Radicosa

That's actually the Johnson light machine gun. Here's the rifle:

Johnson-M1941-Semi-Automatic-Rifle.jpg

You and Peter are both on the money regarding the USMC/Paramarine connection to these weapons. I believe a few years ago the American Rifleman magazine published an article about the Johnson LMG in use by FSSF, and the story goes that the Forcemen traded explosives to the Corps in exchange for the Johnsons. In addition to their use by FSSF, Johnson rifles and LMGs saw action in limited numbers with the Marines in the Pacific. More details can be read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1941_Johnson_rifle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1941_Johnson_machine_gun

Chandler

Crazy, but that looks very close to an old LL Bean ski anorak I bought back in the late '70s -- right down to the hood-to-yoke pattern with the buttons and the green-to-white reversible.

Wonder if Bean patterned theirs after this surplus, or maybe even made them for the government?

watchmanjimg

Chandler said:
Crazy, but that looks very close to an old LL Bean ski anorak I bought back in the late '70s -- right down to the hood-to-yoke pattern with the buttons and the green-to-white reversible.

Wonder if Bean patterned theirs after this surplus, or maybe even made them for the government?

I don't think it's crazy at all. LL Bean and other outdoor suppliers were/are inspired by military designs. I'm not sure if Bean had any government contracts, but Eddie Bauer definitely made parkas for Uncle Sam. An example was recently discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14639