• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another B-2 in the works

STEVE S.

Fixing to do another B-2, this time, copying the original Switlik Parachute version. These had a one piece back that didn't have the large vertical seam down the middle of the back. Also, the seams were all French stitched instead of folded over & top stitched. I think this version is a more streamlined looking jacket compared to the others. I have a nice russet colored hide That I just picked up that should look really nice with a contrasting fur for the collar.

the hide color;

proposed collar fur (this is my favorite, but also have a darker brown)

some of the grain on the hide:

I also have reproductions of the original tags on order. should have those in a couple weeks.

If anyone here is interested in this one, I'll cut a pretty good introductory price on it. :cool:

STEVE S.

John Lever said:
I always wanted a B1 made like this. If you had some seal horse and some short creamy sheepskin.......

I have someone else wanting the same thing. finding horsehide here in the states is quite a feat in itself! the shearling for the liner is no problem, just a tad pricey. the supplier used a few yrs ago for the b-3 & m-445a wont sell in small lots & i'm not to the point yet of being capable of dumping a large amount of money into one order.

STEVE S.

JC graciously sent me a link to photos of that original B-1 jacket when I was working on that first B-2. I can't say "thanks" enough for all the help he has given me & hope one day to be able to return the favor!

DiamondDave

STEVE S. said:
JC graciously sent me a link to photos of that original B-1 jacket when I was working on that first B-2. I can't say "thanks" enough for all the help he has given me & hope one day to be able to return the favor!

I feel the exact same way! You really cannot explain what a gracious fellow JC is, you just have to experience it. He is truly a "Gentleman and a Scholar" in every sense of both words.

Just try getting one of the other "top end" producers to even talk to you, much less give you a whole list of contacts, to turn around and go out and compete with them! Wish ya luck with that one!

DD

STEVE S.

Dave, I think that's the difference between having a true passion for doing something vs. just a bottom line margin/profit. I get fussed at constantly by some of my bike builders for giving out my paint codes to people. I've worked hard to source/perfect some of the original codes,& they think I should keep those secret. Sometimes with the distances involved, its just too darned expensive to ship parts back & forth, so why shouldn't I help someone get the color correct by simply giving them the code? I always look at the big picture & if I can help someone out, they may remember it later on down the road with something else & it may come back as a blessing.

STEVE S.

O.K. guys, want some thoughts/opinions here, so speak up!

Lets talk liners. I know its a divided line between "original at all cost" vs. "looks close to original, but more functional".If YOU were going to buy a B-2, would you stick with the original wool blanket type liner or opt for a more modern, lighter, but just as insulating material if available? I know me personally, the wool stuff gets itchy, so isn't my first choice. I used the polartec fleece in the first one & the gent that purchased it was very happy with it. said it was light, & seemed to move/stretch with the leather. just curious what you guys would like to see in this second one & the following production "line". labels are currently in the production phase & should be here in a week!

John Lever

I think authenticity is key here. The whole jacket screams retro so why spoil it ? Is the BR mocquette correct ?

STEVE S.

John Lever said:
Is the BR mocquette correct ?

I dont think its anywhere in the ballpark. I'm sure others may know alot more than I do, but here is a pic of a Buzz liner vs two original jackets, a Switlik & Werber.

Falcon_52

To my eyes, the moquette that Buzz Rickson's used on their reproduction looks pretty close to the lining used on Werber's early B-2/A-2 (before they switched to the wool blanket liner like Switlik).

To qualify: this isn't based on first-hand experience; I'm just going by the pictures of the early version Werber A-2 trousers in the Full Gear book. Perhaps someone on this forum has actually handled one of these early B-2s (or A-2 trousers)?

Noel

John Lever

It certainly is easier to wear than the blanket. I think Charles Descipio may have evidence of its authenticity as he was very strident about it when I bought my jacket from him.

Skyhawk

I would go for authentic rather than comfort. You are doing such a great job of reproducing the original, why stop at the liner. The buzz from what I can see, is not even close to the other original ones shown. If I bought a beautiful hand made repro such as the B-2 you are making and the liner was not correct, I don't think I would be as pleased as if the liner was the correct material and color.

Maybe you can track down a suitable wool material with a less itchy texture?

STEVE S.

Seems like the consensus is original. Have found a couple suitable fabrics that I think will do the job. ;)