• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 fit question (yes another one )

CK90

Let's think about it gents, any period photo's we see, how many pilots are wearing an A-2 jacket with remotely form fitting trousers? Not even slightly, we're talking drapey officers trousers with a 9.5-10 inch leg opening (on average for that period I'd say). So we get that classic A-2 military silhouette, where the only real definition is the knitted waist band. The rest of the outfit is just drapey leather and drapey cotton.

Unfortunately, today we have taken the inimitable A-2 jacket a little too far out of context, with the modern default of far too slim clothing. That is the reoccurring theme every time I see someone raise fit concerns. Time to embrace the relaxed cut gents, much more flattering for all of us, let's be real.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Let's think about it gents, any period photo's we see, how many pilots are wearing an A-2 jacket with remotely form fitting trousers? Not even slightly, we're taking drapey officers trousers with a 9.5-10 inch leg opening (on average for that period I'd say). So we get that classic A-2 military silhouette, where the only real definition is the knitted waist band. The rest of the outfit is just drapey leather and drapey cotton.

Unfortunately, today we have taken the inimitable A-2 jacket a little too far out of context, with the modern default of far too slim clothing. That is the reoccurring theme every time I see someone raise fit concerns. Time to embrace the relaxed cut gents, much more flattering for all of us, let's be real.
Well said … on a funny note .. some of the old timers here will confirm … that we have been discussing the “proper wartime fit” of A2 jackets since I got here in 2009 and I’d bet earlier than that even. It’s cyclical. The subject comes around every few months.
Here’s what I noticed in wartime photos . The trim looking jackets being worn, for the most part are covering up a layer or two of clothing. You see that all the time, however what you don’t see a lot of, are guys wearing trim A2 jackets with nothing but a t shirt on, in most wartime photos . I’m not saying they don’t exist but you just don’t see that a lot. So did the concept of wearing a tight fitting A2 with a T-shirt come from WWII photos … I think not. More likely as said earlier it was a fashion choice.

Last edited:

Smithy

Let's think about it gents, any period photo's we see, how many pilots are wearing an A-2 jacket with remotely form fitting trousers? Not even slightly, we're taking drapey officers trousers with a 9.5-10 inch leg opening (on average for that period I'd say). So we get that classic A-2 military silhouette, where the only real definition is the knitted waist band. The rest of the outfit is just drapey leather and drapey cotton.

The low rise skinny jeans fad from a few years back was a disaster for the A-2. The two things which look terrible with an A-2, low rise and narrow legs all at the same time.

I never liked skinny trousers so I dodged that one thankfully.

CK90

Well said … on a funny note .. some of the old timers here will confirm … that we have been discussing the “proper wartime fit” of A2 jackets since I got here in 2009 and I’d bet earlier than that even. It’s cyclical. The subject comes around every few months.
Here’s what I noticed in wartime photos . The trim looking jackets being worn, for the most part are covering up a layer or two of clothing. You see that all the time, however what you don’t see a lot of, are guys wearing trim A2 jackets with nothing but a t shirt on, in most wartime photos . I’m not saying they don’t exist but you just don’t see that a lot. So did the concept of wearing a tight fitting A2 with a T-shirt come from WWII photos … I think not. More likely as said earlier it was a fashion choice.
The low rise skinny jeans fad from a few years back was a disaster for the A-2. The two things which look terrible with an A-2, low rise and narrow legs all at the same time.

I never liked skinny trousers so I dodged that one thankfully.
Couldn't agree more on both counts gents, I need to stop myself or this conversation will never end lol

B-Man2

Couldn't agree more on both counts gents, I need to stop myself or this conversation will never end lol
Actually it’s a good conversation and I don’t mean to hijack the subject, but I’d like to ask where the idea of wearing a t-shirt under a A2 jacket began? Certainly not in WWII aviation and aircraft crew photos . Maybe you’ll see an occasional photo of a guy wearing an A2,in a T-shirt but most are in a uniform . But, what you do find are lots of post war 1950s photos of guys wearing A2’s in turned up jeans and t-shirts at drag strips and just hanging out. And that’s where I think this idea of wearing a T-shirt with a trim fitting A2 began . And please free to correct me if you think I’m wrong .

Last edited:

CK90

Actually it’s a good conversation and I don’t mean to hijack the subject, but I’d like to ask where the idea of wearing a t-shirt under a A2 jacket began? Certainly not in WWII aviation and aircraft crew photos . Maybe you’ll see an occasional photo of a guy wearing an A2,in a T-shirt but most are in a uniform . But, what you do find are lots of post 1950s photos of guys wearing A2’s in turned up jeans and t-shirts at drag strips and just hanging out. And that’s where I think this idea of wearing a T-shirt with a trim fitting A2 began . And please free to correct me if you think I’m wrong .
I think you're bang on B-Man, it was a post-war thing for sure, all the cool military gear started to fall under the 'workwear' umbrella. Thing is, if I see a guy in a well fitting A-2 with just a t-shirt - my personal idea of that being a well fitting jacket is pretty much subliminally asking myself could he wear a sweatshirt under there? Answer to that question being yes, A-2 contracts and nuances etc. aside, then it's a good fit in my book, same applies to any leather jacket or jacket for that matter. Tailoring being the exception, but even there things have gotten far too damn slim these days - the idea of a suit is elegance, slim 9 times out of 10 isn't elegant, topic for another day.

One thing I'll never understand is people having a 't-shirt' fit leather jacket as well as a 'sweatshirt' fit leather jacket department. It's only ever the latter for me - t-shirt fit basically means too tight for me.

Pa12

Actually it’s a good conversation and I don’t mean to hijack the subject, but I’d like to ask where the idea of wearing a t-shirt under a A2 jacket began? Certainly not in WWII aviation and aircraft crew photos . Maybe you’ll see an occasional photo of a guy wearing an A2,in a T-shirt but most are in a uniform . But, what you do find are lots of post war 1950s photos of guys wearing A2’s in turned up jeans and t-shirts at drag strips and just hanging out. And that’s where I think this idea of wearing a T-shirt with a trim fitting A2 began . And please free to correct me if you think I’m wrong .
I can honestly say I’ve never worn an a-2 with just a tshirt. Just a temperature thing with me. If it’s warm enough to be wearing a tshirt, I won’t be wearing a jacket. Basically as the mercury goes down I’d be tshirt, then long sleeve shirt , tshirt and long sleeve shirt and final tshirt long sleeve shirt and jacket;)

johnwayne

It was actually two guys wearing A2’s with white Tee’s in a pub in London back in late 70’s that gave me the bug, not knowing then what their ‘brown leather jackets’ were! The search began but took nearly 10 years until ELC came along - all prior to the internet of course!!

bn1966

The ELC 46 I moved on could only be worn with a T underneath, I had to be permanently working out & watching my diet to fit in it & the ‘break-in’ to get to that point was unbelievable :)