• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 fit question (yes another one )

Smithy

The really trim A-2 fit thing was all the rage with Japanese hipsters around 10-15 years ago. It obviously caught on over at the Hat Place where guys were oohing and aahing over ridiculously trim jackets.

I remember one time when some guy posted over there a "What do you think of my A-2 jacket fit?" thread. It was blatantly obvious the jacket was ludicrously too small and yet egged on by those cool dudes in Japan, everyone over there was saying how good the fit was and how cool he looked. At the end he revealed he couldn't even zip the thing up it was so small.

Needless to say any enthusiasm I'd had for Le Salon du Chapeau quickly evaporated after that thread.

leper-colony

The really trim A-2 fit thing was all the rage with Japanese hipsters around 10-15 years ago. It obviously caught on over at the Hat Place where guys were oohing and aahing over ridiculously trim jackets.

I remember one time when some guy posted over there a "What do you think of my A-2 jacket fit?" thread. It was blatantly obvious the jacket was ludicrously too small and yet egged on by those cool dudes in Japan, everyone over there was saying how good the fit was and how cool he looked. At the end he revealed he couldn't even zip the thing up it was so small.

Needless to say any enthusiasm I'd had for Le Salon du Chapeau quickly evaporated after that thread.
Yep. In the past, here, long ago, the advice was a fit like a leather shirt. So, to me, I ask do you want fashion or history?

Smithy

Yep. In the past, here, long ago, the advice was a fit like a leather shirt. So, to me, I ask do you want fashion or history?

A lot of that nonsense seemed to be around a decade to 15 years ago when for whatever reason in Japan the cool hipster kids over there started going for super trim fits with things like A-2s. Because at that time anything Americana from Japan was ubercool, guys seemed to jump on that stupid over tight bandwagon like mad, and hence why the cool kids over at the Lid Place went nuts for it too.

The ironic thing like you point out is if you actually look at photos of airmen during the war, the vast majority of "fit" is pretty relaxed and for good reason - functionality.

Smithy

A-2s due to their design (essentially a leather shirt) need to be slightly large and relaxed in fit. The lack of bi-swing, etc means that for the jacket to be usable and comfortable it needs to be large and relaxed enough to be able to move in it.

It ain't rocket science fellas :)

mulceber

A-2s due to their design (essentially a leather shirt) need to be slightly large and relaxed in fit. The lack of bi-swing, etc means that for the jacket to be usable and comfortable it needs to be large and relaxed enough to be able to move in it.

The flip side of that is that, on a G-1, you can to a certain degree get away with wearing a jacket that’s actually too small for you, since the pleats will just expand, effectively adding 2-4 inches to the chest measurement of the jacket. But that’s a whole other discussion.

Smithy

The flip side of that is that, on a G-1, you can to a certain degree get away with wearing a jacket that’s actually too small for you, since the pleats will just expand, effectively adding 2-4 inches to the chest measurement of the jacket. But that’s a whole other discussion.

Yup Jan, entirely agree.

It's the reason why sizing and fit for an A-2 is so entirely different from a G-1, or even a B-10 for that matter.

The A-2 is entirely different from most jackets and especially modern day jackets and that's why so many people have problems with them.

Lorenzo_l

That. I now have a loose-fitting A-2 that is a joy to wear. As I can easily layer under it, its functionality has gone up a (big) notch and I have been able to wear the said A-2 all through the winter (which has been on the very mild side btw, but you get the point). I learned the point Smithy is making the hard way.

Pa12

Probably been said many times but looking at period pictures fit is all over the place. Depends on your body type etc. And in the end I think it’s just personal preference. Almost anything could be classified as accurate. I think we have all seen a couple of pictures of what we view as “the”fit , and we strive for that. But we aren’t that guy, so it may not even be achievable.

Smithy

Funny thing is that whilst you will see some tight/short fits, the vast majority of photos show A-2s that aren't skin tight and far more relaxed.

The whole "A-2 fits were all over the place" which gets banged around doesn't actually stack up to photographic evidence if we're talking about an average fit. Yes there were some too small and even some too big but the majority of A-2s used by aircrew were a relaxed fit. That's borne out by the 1,000s of photos of airmen wearing them. For every photo of one guy with a tight A-2 there's 20-plus of a guy with a looser one.

Smithy

People were skinnier (also young) but also we forget these things were worn in combat. They were pieces of equipment worn under combat conditions. It was no good having a jacket that excessively restricted movement and therefore affected someone's ability to move/react in action.

Pa12

People were skinnier (also young) but also we forget these things were worn in combat. They were pieces of equipment worn under combat conditions. It was no good having a jacket that excessively restricted movement and therefore affected someone's ability to move/react in action.
And that makes a huge difference. I recently dropped 15 lbs and now weigh what I did at 20. My jackets look a thousand times better. There’s a reason models are thin. Makes the clothes look better.

B-Man2

I just sold three Good Wears solely for all the reasons stated above . When I first got them I liked the trim fitting look but something was always pulling up. The back, the sleeves, something . Then I started to look closely at period photos and the fit and drape of the jackets . The ones that looked good and draped well all looked to be a little big on the wearer. So a while back I decided to sell off all the trim jackets and keep the ones that were easier to wear and I’m happier now as my jackets are a pleasure to wear and I can wear them in warmer and in colder climates .

Last edited: