• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 month review of BK Victory Horse Dark Seal Aero 18775

Persimmon

4 Month Review.
At last I have found some time to sit down and do a review of my latest A2 purchase, a Bill Kelso Arco (Aero) 41-18775 P in their dark seal Victory Horse leather.

A brief background was that at the beginning of this year I received a test jacket Arco(Aero 18775) in the Victory Horse Leather to access and comment on.
I did post a few pictures and a small review ... in the following VLJ thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14128

Although I was sad to return it, the main advantage was that it allowed me to adjust the measurements to my exact size specifications and to have exactly what I wanted re fit when I took delivery.

This was all sorted by Platon (who was very helpful and kept me fully updated with regard to awaiting the delivery of the leather, manufacture (including pictures of it under construction), shipping, etc) and I placed the order for delivery as soon as the Victory Horse leather in the dark seal was available.

Having agreed all the details in late Feb/early March, the Aero jacket was received at the beginning of June (it was a perfect birthday present for me). A brief note re my fit requirements that are perhaps known to some, is that I prefer the more war time close to the waist rather than a slightly looser longer fit.

My initial reaction on first wearing the A2 was that it was slightly stiff and felt a little “heavy”. (The jacket was perfectly delivered in a sealed sturdy box and was tracked for safety). The jacket also had that new leather smell when it arrived that just makes you want you to try it on.

Of course I am probably some sort of a “ lightweight” being more used to the capeskin A1 and the ELC Werber. Still in comparision to my previous A2 purchase – a Goodwear Monarch, it did feel heavier.

Although after email conversations with Platon he highlighted that the specs were spot on and in keeping with Goodwear etc.

BK info
The details are that the weight is 3oz (i.e) 1.1mm - 1.2mm which is what AAF specified.
The ideal is 1.1mm but no tannery in the world can make that exactly.
They can make either 1.1mm - 1.2mm or 1.0m - 1.1mm
Although 0.1 mm does not sound like much it makes great difference.
It will make a jacket of 1.2mm feel heavy and it will make a jacket of 1.0mm feel very light For this reason BK prefer 1.1mm - 1.2mm over 1.0m - 1.1mm

In summary this jacket just needed to be worn and broken it.
The quality of the leather and the lining and stitching thread were simply spot on.

Of course in England we are used to perfect A2 wearing summer conditions - wet, windy, cold and damp etc !! Ah yes those lovely summer days. However this year as soon as I took delivery it’s been almost a heatwave for much of the summer with temp getting to 90 degrees.

So wearing it everyday since June has been impossible so instead it’s been a case of occasional wear, plenty of jacket sunbathing (catching those rays !!) and lots of hand wrigging/kneading in the evenings to break it in.

Now four months later, the weather has finally allowed me to start wearing it every day and the occasional rain showers has also added to that look of age. There is much more to come for sure with such stunning leather quality and I look forward to wearing and looking at this jacket throughout the next year.

For the record no artificial sanding (timeworn) or HWT (hot water treatment) has been done to the jacket. Hopefully the pictures will show how pleased I am with the look and fit of the jacket.

Bill Kelso has certainly upped their game with the Victory Horse leather. The manufacture, to my exact measurements has given me the best A2 I have owned- best fit, the very best of quality in leather and to me – who has to wear it after all - the best looking. (For reference in A2 repro’s, I have owned 4 Goodwear’s, 5 Eastman’s, 2 RMNZ and 3 Aero’s)

Additionally I would highlight that I did not have the year plus wait that anyone purchasing a new Goodwear has to joyfully endure. And I got that perfect fit jacket which was worked to my precise measurements. Oh and of course there is a good price saving as well.

The Dark Seal Victory Horse leather was my ultimate requirement and I did have to wait to get it (approx 4 months) but it was worth it and is stunning. Plenty of grain has developed already and there is more to come.

In the cloudy sky days, the jacket can appear as a dark looking jacket but with a little sunlight on it the red undertones come out superbly. I have tried to show pictures in both lighting conditions.

The rust knits are top quality (N.B. In some photos I have taken but not used and in others I have seen posted of BK red knit Aero’s the camera can on some occasions make them look almost bright red.) However in real life - they are perfectly coloured - red rust to give that iconic Aero look.

Would I recommend Bill Kelso for their A2 Victory Horse leather jackets ? A resounding .....YES.

Sorry there are a lot of pictures ...

Roughwear

This is an excellent review Alan. Your BK A2 has such character and is beautifully made. It looks like a lightly used original from 1942. I'm so glad that at last you have found the perfect A2. Enjoy wearing it and breaking it in. :)

chamboid

Beautiful Perssimmon. How much wringing and kneading have you done on he jacket, looks really worn in. Lovely different shades appearing in the leather. What a great colour.

Have you done any hot water treatment?

Do you still own your GW Monarch BTW?

Rutger

Man, that's a stunner you got there. This looks like from a time machine with a couple of years of service.

Marv

wow looks fantastic Alan, especially liking the grain and the russet/reddish untertones coming through on the horse in the sunlight......what a great fit, I wasn't really a fan of the Aero contracts but after seeing yours I could be persuaded in the future.

Persimmon

chamboid said:
Beautiful Perssimmon. How much wringing and kneading have you done on he jacket, looks really worn in. Lovely different shades appearing in the leather. What a great colour.

Have you done any hot water treatment?

Do you still own your GW Monarch BTW?

The GW Monarch has been sold on.
As Andrew pointed out in his post I did mention that no HWT has been done.
As for the kneeding and wrigging. Most evenings. Just viewing a TV programme for example and just twisting and turning the leather whilst watching the show.

chamboid

Roughwear said:
Alan says in the review that the jacket has not been artificially aged with HWT!

I red it twice cause I didn't want to ask a stupid question. Still managed it. Yep no you didn't, nor sanding! (That was going to be my second pointless question)

''For the record no artificial sanding (timeworn) or HWT (hot water treatment) has been done to the jacket. Hopefully the pictures will show how pleased I am with the look and fit of the jacket.''

The difference in fading is truly eye catching, has a real natural look to it. Is it the 'Sunbathing' thaa achieves this?

bseal

Now there's a BK review that we have been waiting for. Kudos to you, Dr. H, and Skip for giving us fit pics.

saucerfiend

Wow! That's just as nice looking as the near mint original I sold to Andrew. Those undertones are off the hook! Perfect fit... the same way I like mine to fit. Enjoy it. It's perfect. And thanks for that GREAT review!

Brian

Dr H

Alan, that is a very fine looking jacket, which even has me considering an Arco over my Doniger.
If you're going to be passing by on the M3 let me know and we can meet for a chat/exchange views on the BK A-1/A-2.

CBI

Alan - looks great and thanks for posting the review. You have owned some really nice A-2's in the past. Is it possible you have actually SETTLED on one?!!!!???

blackrat2

That jacket looks superb,like the others I am loving the grain and the various undertones.
From a BK point of view I have seen the pics and thought they are good,however having seen it worn and in various light I have to say IMO that this is a better jacket than Eastmans I have owned and I am gonna say it is up there with JC's jacket.
Well done Alan and BK...a great review that's put you on the map.

grommet

Alan,
I have to add my congratulations. Incredible particularly considering the price, customization and wait time. Acording to the BK web site, the current price for Warhorse won't last. I feel the jacket compulsion resurfacing.

Skip

That is a stunning BK Arco. Mine has only just begun to develop that kind of character, but considering I haven't worn it as much as the Werber, I'm pleased with the grain that is now really starting to appear, must do some more wriggling of that leather.

ausreenactor

Skip said:
That is a stunning BK Arco. Mine has only just begun to develop that kind of character, but considering I haven't worn it as much as the Werber, I'm pleased with the grain that is now really starting to appear, must do some more wriggling of that leather.

Get a wriggle on!! ;)

Couchy