• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

37JI Navy jacket

B-Man2

Burt,

What I have seen thus far on Ebay are 36-38 from BR which seems typical of the offerings.

I went and watched a little of "Dive Bomber." I did see the "OD" version that I am interested in acquiring In my "mind", this jacket would be a nice addition to the ATF Tanker, meaning a non leather jacket.
Thanks again,
Cheers and good weekend.
Don
I’m pretty sure that Bronson makes one in your size . Check this out

IMG_1092.jpeg

B-Man2

This one seems to be no longer available
We used to have a Bronson Rep here on the forum . He would pop up occasionally and share some info about Bronson products. I wonder if they discontinued this jacket or they’re just sold out for the year.

Thomas Koehle

That's the "FIVESTAR" version made by @Shawn Ali and his guys ...

Fitpic was taken before i modified the jacket a bit - size 44
e6oWdhW.jpg

K6zOszL.jpg

Thats the 2 BRONSONS i own
#1 is labelled 44 - color is a thad lighter than on my 2nd one (artwork by @ties70 )
aYwpwiz.jpg

IIHGENy.jpg

CRm5dSY.jpg

#2 is a bit larger but also labeled 44 (artwork by JOSH)
zDMawP0.jpg

afZjeuF.jpg

Also found some pics of an original one on my harddrive
z0p6MLi.jpg

ZEO5V8F.jpg

ldHoEfu.jpg

UzIqW5A.jpg

Quality-wise i'd rate the BRONSONS over the FIVESTAR because of the material. The BRONSON versions are made from the "djungel cloth" stuff whereas 5* used similar material like for their B10 - craftmanship on the 5* is pretty good anyway

zoomer

... there were A & B versions. One was made out of jungle cloth, the other was made of capeskin and was essentially an A-1 with pockets placed higher.
Capeskin spec 37J1, no suffix, was issued in 1926. Variations known include:
pockets:
- mid-chest flap (early, possible private purchase) or flap/patch
- slightly lower or (rarely) waist height flap/patch
- flaps triangular early, rectangular/cut corners late
collar:
- varsity style with single snap (usually leather faced)
- A-1 style with single or double button

Jungle cloth spec 37J1A was issued in 1932 and 37J1B in 1936. Formerly I assumed -A had the double button collar and -B the zip/single button collar. This is uncertain - usually A or B wasn't given on labels. Variations known include:
pockets:
-
patch/flap with reverse box pleat, spaced close or (rarely) wide A-2 style
- (rare, possible test model) patch/flap unpleated, spaced close
collar:
- double button or (rare, possible test model) single button with loop, zipper ending at neckline
- zipper extending partway or fully to top, each with single button/loop
stormflap:
-
neckline to bottom hem, squared corners
- just above neckline (rare)
- just below neckline to just above bottom hem, rounded corners (rare, possible test model)
- no stormflap (rare, possible test model)
"USN" marking:
- stencil, stamp, or silkscreen
- usually on left front panel
- on center of upper back (early)

mulceber

Capeskin spec 37J1, no suffix, was issued in 1926. Variations known include:
pockets:
- mid-chest flap (early, possible private purchase) or flap/patch
- slightly lower or (rarely) waist height flap/patch
- flaps triangular early, rectangular/cut corners late
collar:
- varsity style with single snap (usually leather faced)
- A-1 style with single or double button

Jungle cloth spec 37J1A was issued in 1932 and 37J1B in 1936. Formerly I assumed -A had the double button collar and -B the zip/single button collar. This is uncertain - usually A or B wasn't given on labels. Variations known include:
pockets:
-
patch/flap with reverse box pleat, spaced close or (rarely) wide A-2 style
- (rare, possible test model) patch/flap unpleated, spaced close
collar:
- double button or (rare, possible test model) single button with loop, zipper ending at neckline
- zipper extending partway or fully to top, each with single button/loop
stormflap:
-
neckline to bottom hem, squared corners
- just above neckline (rare)
- just below neckline to just above bottom hem, rounded corners (rare, possible test model)
- no stormflap (rare, possible test model)
"USN" marking:
- stencil, stamp, or silkscreen
- usually on left front panel
- on center of upper back (early)
Thanks for the correction. Fixes my mistake, and MUCH more comprehensive.

zoomer

Quality-wise i'd rate the BRONSONS over the FIVESTAR because of the material. The BRONSON versions are made from the "djungel cloth" stuff whereas 5* used similar material like for their B10 - craftmanship on the 5* is pretty good anyway
The 5* pics I saw showed a tanker-jacket-type twill. It could almost have been used with the weave laid vertical instead of diagonal, and created a better impression.

Grant

If you can find one, the Real McCoy's 37J1 is a faithful reproduction of an original Michael A. Zielinski 37J1 Larry McKaughan (Heller's Cafe) had in his collection. Years ago, I had the chance to visit Larry and examine the original. Too cool!