• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Smithy

It's quite major here. All non-essential services and shops are being advised to shut or at least take advanced safety measures.

Cinemas, gyms, libraries, public swimming pools, etc are now closed.

Businesses have signs on doors that they don't receive visitors, the police station here has closed for anyone wanting to make a personal visit. Hairdressers and barbers have been closed down.

Everywhere are signs that you can't stand inside 1 metre of another person.

Strange times...

London Cabbie

I not dare to sneeze in the Cab...
8B70C0C7-3F6F-4B35-B77C-39D2F2AAAD74.jpeg

Micawber

I'm having trouble convincing my young adults that this really is something very serious and that there is no magic cure. Millennials have a tough time coming to terms that the answer to everything is not contained within their smartphones, despite trying very hard to educate my kids that this is not the case the draw of the herd is strong. Time to hunker down and stay within a known local circle of people with the same mindset.

Smithy

One thing I'm finding that is hard is for the kids. Both kindergartens and schools are now closed here so we have both of our wee ones home now.

Not so much a biggie for the little fella who's at kindy, but school has advised that our daughter will need to be (what amounts to) home schooled from now on along with all school age kids in the country.

In the space of one or two days here life has completely changed. I can't go and get a haircut (they've all been forced to close by the authorities), I have no job to go to next week (it's been closed for an unspecified period). You can't go to the gym, or the cinema, or a cafe or the library.

We're thinking of going to one of the family cottages/cabins up in the mountains for a bit but then they're saying on the news people shouldn't do that in case that the situation deteriorates further.

I was talking to my big sister back in NZ where they only have a handful of COVID-19 cases throughout the whole country but already there they are starting to talk about limiting or stopping all international flights into Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

I'm not a big one for blowing things out of proportion but I think the world we live in is going to be very different for the next few months.

tjoenn

One thing I'm finding that is hard is for the kids. Both kindergartens and schools are now closed here so we have both of our wee ones home now.

Not so much a biggie for the little fella who's at kindy, but school has advised that our daughter will need to be (what amounts to) home schooled from now on along with all school age kids in the country.

In the space of one or two days here life has completely changed. I can't go and get a haircut (they've all been forced to close by the authorities), I have no job to go to next week (it's been closed for an unspecified period). You can't go to the gym, or the cinema, or a cafe or the library.

We're thinking of going to one of the family cottages/cabins up in the mountains for a bit but then they're saying on the news people shouldn't do that in case that the situation deteriorates further.

I was talking to my big sister back in NZ where they only have a handful of COVID-19 cases throughout the whole country but already there they are starting to talk about limiting or stopping all international flights into Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

I'm not a big one for blowing things out of proportion but I think the world we live in is going to be very different for the next few months.
What I find ironic for a better word is that while ca. 5500 have died from this, during that same period 150 000 died from Malaria and 6 000 000 died from hunger. Imagine if the world put this much effort and cost into eradicating those...

MrProper

What I find ironic for a better word is that while ca. 5500 have died from this, during that same period 150 000 died from Malaria and 6 000 000 died from hunger. Imagine if the world put this much effort and cost into eradicating those...

just because there are many other defects to be remedied does not mean that you have to open a new construction site.
it is no longer a question of defeating corona, but of slowing the effects so that the healthcare system can still manage it.
otherwise there is a situation like in Italy, where it must now be decided if you let someone live and who you don't.

stanier

I know what you're trying to say tjoenn and whilst I'm not able to comment on your numbers the causes if these things are varied and complex, but do need resolving. The current crisis is beyond anyone's immediate resolution, no matter how much money is thrown at it and amongst other things risks amplifying the other two example issues as healthcare is diverted from examples like malaria and the world stops thinking about hunger far away, or on its doorstep. I heard this week food banks are taking a hit in the UK.

I personally cant believe that between the stories of coronavirus spread theres still the odd news story of countries and their proxies bombing etc each other, there really are some crazy fuckin' idiots out there who's parents should have spanked them more when small!!

Still, looks like all of us will have a bit more time to discuss jackets in the coming weeks and months!

Stay safe all!

Flightengineer

Tim, of course the situation is very unpleasant, it is a pity for those who died from СOVID-19, but it seems to me that panic will do more harm than the virus itself. My friends from Chicago and from Columbus (ОH), and another from Barcelona sent me yesterday photos of empty shelves in supermarkets, people bought everything.
Aviation is experiencing a huge crisis, the number of flights has decreased very much, most international and many domestic flights have been canceled, many airlines have already begun staff reductions. Many of us risk losing jobs soon.
The actions of the bosses are also sometimes chaotic, so we were recently quarantined because of our flight to Korea while our colleagues made flights to Italy and France and these crews were not initially quarantined, but only later.
All schools and universities and cinemas are still working here, but the main problem, as I think, is that there are few virus-tests and how many people really get sick hard to say. Few people believe the official data, although people are calm.
Excuse me for writing this in a thread about jackets, but I didn’t start it.
Wish all the members of the forum and their families good luck, clean hands and not get sick.

Last edited:

Smithy

I think there's a valid point about the panic and whether it relates in a reasonable way to the danger.

Apparently SARS was/is more dangerous but there wasn't the same level of response we're seeing now.

Saying that, COVID-19 appears to be exceedingly contagious and spreads at a phenomenal rate once exposed to population densities.

I think the response therefore is due to the contagion but also the possibility that the virus might mutate (as they often and usually do) and become more dangerous.

I'm happy with what Norway has done. It's very inconvenient but I'm looking at all of this as a great time to build some model planes. I got a new wargame a week or two back which I haven't had time to play so I'll be doing that too. Plus a lot of curling up in my chair with a pot of tea and a good book.

tjoenn

I think there's a valid point about the panic and whether it relates in a reasonable way to the danger.

Apparently SARS was/is more dangerous but there wasn't the same level of response we're seeing now.

Saying that, COVID-19 appears to be exceedingly contagious and spreads at a phenomenal rate once exposed to population densities.

I think the response therefore is due to the contagion but also the possibility that the virus might mutate (as they often and usually do) and become more dangerous.

I'm happy with what Norway has done. It's very inconvenient but I'm looking at all of this as a great time to build some model planes. I got a new wargame a week or two back which I haven't had time to play so I'll be doing that too. Plus a lot of curling up in my chair with a pot of tea and a good book.
Agree Tim, hopefully it can be contained before it does too much harm. What I'm disappointed with is my fellow countrymen who I thought were pretty level-headed starting to hoard like we were on the brink of war. I don't know how it's up north, but down here there are plenty of shelves empty at the stores.

Smithy

Agree Tim, hopefully it can be contained before it does too much harm. What I'm disappointed with is my fellow countrymen who I thought were pretty level-headed starting to hoard like we were on the brink of war. I don't know how it's up north, but down here there are plenty of shelves empty at the stores.

Today I had to go to the shops and things like loo paper and pasta were starting to get scarce.

We had quite a bit of snow overnight and not a lot of the city has been plowed which is unusual too.