• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPS a story...

John Lever

In May 2023 my jacket from Greece finally arrived in the UK. Unfortunately it was given an incorrect value ten times that of the actual value of 1200 GBP.
Stated value was 14000 GBP or $1800.
Customs and excise has far reaching powers so I decided to just refuse it and send it back to Greece. A week later a UPS invoice arrived making for nearly 400 GBP. I queried it and was told the invoice would be cancelled ..
2 months later the Statements started to arrive showing 400 gbp plus a late payment fee. Again after some very long difficult calls to customer services in the far east I was told the invoice was cancelled and no one could understand why I was receiving statements for an invoice that did not exist.
Fast forward to July 2024....a letter arrives from a debt collection agency asking for 490 GBP plus a threat of legal action if payment not received in 7 days.
Again I contact customer services and also e mail UPS. Several emails bounce to and fro between the UK and India over the next 7 days
Finally it was made clear that 2 invoices had been issued for the same item but only one had been cancelled hence the outstanding amount not paid.
Nothing to pay all clear.

My advice is to avoid UPS at all costs they are shambolic and unreliable, and just avoid buying overseas completely.

Silver Surfer

ups is a fuck up operation, except for my wifes wine deliveries, every time something has been sent to me via ups, there have been probs. its a real "one hand doesn't know what the other is doing".as soon as someone says " oh, ill just send it ups" , my asshole puckers up.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Well … that’s another shipping service that’s off the list for me. The U.S. Post Office is just as bad for shipping items within the U.S.
You ship items using 3 day priority mail service and 2 weeks later the package may or may not arrive . We pay extra for that service but never receive a refund when the package doesn’t get there in 3 days. That happens quite often and the consumers get bilked for millions of dollars each year. To add insult to injury the post office raises their rates every other year or so. It’s frustrating !!

Spitfireace

Don't deal with DHL. I have had two recent shipments where they send you texts and emails asking for the duty up front. What they don't mention is that they charge forty per cent to collect said duty. I waited for the first major delivery and ignored their fee of $140 and then after three warnings, the delivery mysteriously showed up at Canada Post outlet where I went to pick it up with only $90 charged for duty. Forty per cent mark up for collecting it for the government?

Pilot

DHL even threatens destruction of the package if you don't pay them their markup fee. Destruction of item? There must be some kind of law against that. Non delivery ok, destruction of item? That's extortion.
Never heard about that.
Please share this message they sent.
I use almost exclusively DHL and never ever had an issue with them… shipping/receiving.

Spitfireace

Your parcel has arrived at our Richmond BC Airport Gateway location. To release it, a total duty and tax amount of 24.06+CAD must be prepaid.

Please visit DHL Payment Portal and use the “My Payment” option with your tracking/waybill number. You can also track your parcel or redirect it to another location if needed at DHL On-Demand Delivery. Alternatively, you can pay via our Payment Self Service line at 1-833-322-0844.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) determines your parcel's admissibility and calculates duties and taxes based on the commercial invoice attached to your parcel. For more information, visit the CBSA website.

If we do not receive your payment or a reply, your parcel will be returned to the shipper or destroyed.

For any questions, contact us at 1-855-345-7447.

coolhandluke

Never heard about that.
Please share this message they sent.
I use almost exclusively DHL and never ever had an issue with them… shipping/receiving.
+1

So far so good with DHL. The shipments that I've received from Europe and Asia have always been on time and typically arrive within 48-72 hours. They are extremely communicative with their tracking updates. Shipping costs are very reasonable too (at least in my experience as the receipient and not the shipper). Compare that to USPS here in the states where it typically takes twice that amount of time for a parcel to be shipped extremely short distances. I just shipped a package via priority mail from OK to TX (less than 500 miles) on Tuesday, July 2nd. The estimated delivery date listed on the receipt was Monday, July 8th. That's 2-3 business days huh?

B-Man2

+1

So far so good with DHL. The shipments that I've received from Europe and Asia have always been on time and typically arrive within 48-72 hours. They are extremely communicative with their tracking updates. Shipping costs are very reasonable too (at least in my experience as the receipient and not the shipper). Compare that to USPS here in the states where it typically takes twice that amount of time for a parcel to be shipped extremely short distances. I just shipped a package via 2 day priority mail from OK to TX (less than 500 miles) on Tuesday, July 2nd. The estimated delivery date listed on the receipt was Monday, July 8th. That's 2 business days huh?
A few years ago I shipped a jacket that I sold on EBay to a fellow in Arizona . I shipped it USPS Priority Mail 3 day delivery. So it was supposed to go from Florida to Arizona in 3 days and I paid extra for $700 of insurance.
So … I followed the tracking on it and the jacket went to about 10 different cities and took 3 weeks to get to the guy because it was shipped to the wrong location about 4 times .
Contacted the post office customer service multiple times and just got excuse after excuse . Complete incompetence.
Luckily the guy I sent it to was tracking along and was patient and understanding and didn’t put up a shit storm or ask for his money back.