• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turret Gunner

dinomartino1

4057657.JPG

A 'tin can turret' fitted to a Lockheed Hudson aircraft of No 8 Squadron RAAF operating from Kota Bharu, Malaya.1941

dinomartino1

4078960.JPG

At Sea. 1944-01-09. Interior of a RAAF Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boat showing a bare-chested 71335 Sergeant J. G. Weston of Cessnock, NSW, air gunner at the waist cupola test firing in flight. He wears anti-glare goggles. The aircraft has flown from its base at Cairns, Qld.

4077679.JPG

MOROTAI, HALMAHERA ISLANDS, NETHERLANDS EAST INDIES. C. 1945-02. LOOKING AFTER THE TAIL: RAAF CATALINA AIRCRAFT ON THE AIR-SEA RESCUE SERVICE SOMETIMES HAVE TO FIGHT OFF ENEMY INTERFERENCE IN THEIR WORK OF MERCY AND 42166 SERGEANT R. BALLINGALL OF COBURG, VIC, IS READY AS HIS AIRCRAFT LEAVES ON A MISSION.

4092260.JPG

MOROTAI, HALMAHERA ISLANDS, NETHERLANDS EAST INDIES. C. 1945-02. READY FOR A MERCY MISSION: RAAF CATALINA AIRCRAFT FLY ON ERRANDS OF MERCY TO PICK UP AIRMEN FORCED DOWN INTO THE SEA, AND THE SAVING OF SO MANY LIVES BY THESE AIRCRAFT HAS BEEN A GREAT MORALE-BOOSTER FOR AIRCREW. 412170 FLIGHT LIEUTENANT W. MILLS, NZ, PILOT (IN COCKPIT), AND 416560 FLYING OFFICER R. FRANCIS, ADELAIDE, SA, WIRELESS AIR GUNNER, PREPARE TO TAXI DOWN THE AIRSTRIP.

6056190.JPG

BORNEO AREA. 1945-09. INTERIOR OF RAAF CATALINA AIRCRAFT DURING AN OPERATIONAL FLIGHT, SHOWING TWO RAAF MEMBERS IN THE BLISTER NEAR THE 50 CALIBRE MACHINE GUN READY TO DROP LEAFLETS TO JAPANESE TROOPS ADVISING THEM OF THE CESSATION OF HOSTILITIES.

4146853.JPG

Crew member of a Consolidated PBY Catalina aircraft on port blister watch with machine gun.

dinomartino1

3996369.JPG

Plymouth, England. C. 1940-07. One of the midship gunners of a Sunderland aircraft of No. 10 Squadron RAAF based at RAF Station Mount Batten at his post inside the aircraft in the top of the fuselage.

4109415.JPG

Plymouth, England. C. 1940-07. A crew member of a Sunderland aircraft of No. 10 Squadron RAAF based at RAF Station Mount Batten operating a camera from the mid-ships gun position. The aircraft is RB-A N9048.

Rory Schultz

I wish I had obtained more information about one of my close friends who was a TAIL GUNNER in a B-24 Liberator in the Pacific Theatre, he passed away in mid 1990's before I could really glean a lot more info from him. His name was Jim Martin and he became an ace who shot down 7 Japanese fighters and was awarded the DFC. In this photo he is in the front row crouching down on the far left. The plane was called the " Bat Out Of Hell ." A few weeks before his passing he gave me this group photo and endorsed it (well attempted it, his hands were shaking) as well as giving me his Army Air Corp hat badge. I held his DFC and begged him to let me have it, his wife said no, then she died 2 years later. I guess one of his daughters has it now. The saddest part was in all the years knowing him he never spoke of being in WW2, not until his final months on earth did he open up. He was mostly interested in seeing my latest paintings, collecting them and talking about the history of the Indian Wars.

upload_2019-2-25_22-12-5.png

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts