• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trash Pile Aero B-3: The Resurrection

NorthBayRay

Hi friends, some of you may recall my asking advice a few months back about a 1941 mixed-batch B-3 by Aero Leather that I found in rough condition in a pile of discarded clothes headed for the landfill. Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experience and advice - I wanted to give a quick status update and share some cool news!

While considering options for preserving, patching or otherwise, I got a note from John Chapman at Good Wear Leather, asking if I'd be open to selling it. He felt the jacket was unfortunately beyond repair, but he was interested in spec'ing the colors and patterning an exact copy, while keeping the original 'on file' for future work. He has done an earlier 1939 Aero previously, but to date hadn't done a 1941 contract. I took John up on the offer, and asked if he was open to doing some kind of exchange for the prototype - which he was!

Earlier this month John reached out and said he finally had a few days to work on this project. After some back and forth he dove in and sewed up the prototype - and I was thrilled to receive the box from Fedex this week! The repro is absolutely stunning in every detail, heavy, insanely warm and just a joy to wear. Of course it has John's remarkable attention to detail - he matched the leather and fleece as closely as humanly possible and used a combo of vintage and new hardware. He copied the tag for reproduction and then sewed the original back in for me. He tailored it to my measurements and made it a stitch longer in the arms and a stitch wider in the shoulders since I will wear it for some weekend motorcycle riding. I requested he sew the shoulder rank tabs down to match the original.

As you all know John is a legend, a craftsman, a magician, and just an all around great guy. I'm so happy that this poor old rescue jacket lives on in a way that can be enjoyed by others - plus I also now have my own dream jacket with a cool back story. Win-win-win!

Here's a few pics of the the repro as it wears on me, the original, and some detail photos from John. Enjoy!

b3-1.jpg

b3-2.jpg

b3-3.jpg

Attachments

• 20240121_193242.jpg
    20240121_193242.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240121_193218.jpg
    20240121_193218.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 76

NorthBayRay

Mannequin shots and details...

Attachments

• Aero_B3_Jacket.jpg
    Aero_B3_Jacket.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 74
  • an_stamp.jpg
    an_stamp.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 61
  • arm_seams.jpg
    arm_seams.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 55
  • collar.jpg
    collar.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 53
  • collar_back.jpg
    collar_back.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 51
  • collar_belts.jpg
    collar_belts.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 49
  • collar_buckles.jpg
    collar_buckles.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 54
  • front_view2.jpg
    front_view2.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 60
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 56
  • pocket.jpg
    pocket.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 65

NorthBayRay

DAMN !!
I’m headed out to the trash dump right now and start looking thru that stuff !! ;)
And a big shout out to JC… the guy is in a league of his own .
Do it! It's a complete fluke that I happened to find it - I still don't know how it worked out that way. I think this was part of the discards of an estate sale - it's amazing what folks will throw out once you start looking.

bseal

Hi friends, some of you may recall my asking advice a few months back about a 1941 mixed-batch B-3 by Aero Leather that I found in rough condition in a pile of discarded clothes headed for the landfill. Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experience and advice - I wanted to give a quick status update and share some cool news!

While considering options for preserving, patching or otherwise, I got a note from John Chapman at Good Wear Leather, asking if I'd be open to selling it. He felt the jacket was unfortunately beyond repair, but he was interested in spec'ing the colors and patterning an exact copy, while keeping the original 'on file' for future work. He has done an earlier 1939 Aero previously, but to date hadn't done a 1941 contract. I took John up on the offer, and asked if he was open to doing some kind of exchange for the prototype - which he was!

Earlier this month John reached out and said he finally had a few days to work on this project. After some back and forth he dove in and sewed up the prototype - and I was thrilled to receive the box from Fedex this week! The repro is absolutely stunning in every detail, heavy, insanely warm and just a joy to wear. Of course it has John's remarkable attention to detail - he matched the leather and fleece as closely as humanly possible and used a combo of vintage and new hardware. He copied the tag for reproduction and then sewed the original back in for me. He tailored it to my measurements and made it a stitch longer in the arms and a stitch wider in the shoulders since I will wear it for some weekend motorcycle riding. I requested he sew the shoulder rank tabs down to match the original.

As you all know John is a legend, a craftsman, a magician, and just an all around great guy. I'm so happy that this poor old rescue jacket lives on in a way that can be enjoyed by others - plus I also now have my own dream jacket with a cool back story. Win-win-win!

Here's a few pics of the the repro as it wears on me, the original, and some detail photos from John. Enjoy!

View attachment 152173
View attachment 152175
View attachment 152177

Outstanding!

Oscar.JPG

NorthBayRay

Hope the original stays preserved, even though it's pretty blown. Would be a shame to recycle it.

The New Jacket is incredible.
Thanks D!

I'm not privy to JC's process, but I gather that he had to disassemble the jacket for accurate patterning, then he preserves and stores the original panels for future reference.

EDIT: John confirmed the original was patterned in a non-invasive way so that deconstruction was not required. The jacket is safe and preserved in it's original condition. :)

Last edited: