• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously? That expensive?

Thomas Koehle

Guys,

i just got the weekly News from "Real McCoys" ...

I'm always surprised about their pricelevel and wonder if they still find People to buy their stuff ...

A2 for more than 2.000 bucks - way out of my range of what i'm willing to pay for a jacket

Ken at Aero Leather

...................and they use an excessive amount of glue during the make up process which makes any repair work difficult to neigh on impossible.
We've refused all restoration repair work on Japanese leather for many years.
Of course it's MUCH easier to sew laser straight lines when everything is held in place with glue

KariJ

Price is what an individual is willing to pay. Here in Finland we have and old saying. "Tyhmä ei ole se, joka pyytää, vaan se, joka maksaa". Translated like "The stupid one is not the one who asks, but that one who is willing to pay". Maybe they have their customers...

Grant

I have an older Real McCoy's horsehide 1930's civilian jacket bought when Real McCoy's had a NYC shop. It's beautifully made and wears like iron and couldn't be happier with it, so guess that makes me one of the stupid ones happily willing to pay.

Smithy

certain UK based maker is also following the trend rather closely.

I was having a sniff over at ELC's Instagram the other day and they'd made a post with some chap wearing an A-1 and carrying a Louis Vuitton suitcase - a suitcase which I believe goes for over $US5,000. Says it all really about themselves as a brand now. LV is also massively popular with the new money in the Far East.

John Lever

Price is what an individual is willing to pay. Here in Finland we have and old saying. "Tyhmä ei ole se, joka pyytää, vaan se, joka maksaa". Translated like "The stupid one is not the one who asks, but that one who is willing to pay". Maybe they have their customers...
To quiite a friend of mine ' If I can afford it, then it's not good enough '

mulceber

They have their supporters. The bad thing is, while they keep on increasing their price, certain UK based maker is also following the trend rather closely.

Seems like that trend is likely to continue, and maybe it’s for the best: if Eastman and RM are out of the realm of possibility for most of us, maybe that will ease up the pressure on people like Diamond Dave who are trying to make a jacket that us mere mortals can afford.

Last edited:

Pilot

Have to agree about ( some of ) their A-2’s... but....

....I have a RMcC J. Stagg B-10, would not trade it for any other.
Most accurate B-10 repro ( if compared to a WW2 B-10 ) IMHO....and by far and all means.
...Besides they are the only one ( plus Aero) not only calling their liner Alpaga, but using Alpaga for their liner. All others ( except Aero) use an often itching synthetic blend ( “no go “ for me...sorry). The last was already discussed here several times.
......If I may add, their sheepskins are the finest ever seen IMHO, their cotton and nylon military jackets unmatched.. not even by BR.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

And on top of it, if you’re not a very slightly built Japanese man, they will never fit anyway. Plus they are over-engineered in a way, and yet the patterns leave a TON to be desired, and the hides are too thick and heavy. I’ve never been overly impressed by their wares, frankly.

DD

Yet they walk out the door!

Pilot

Agree, plus Japan, Gulf, CIS , still some in “old Europe and USA”... otherwise their outlets would not exist in London and NYC and elsewhere...

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Great forgeries but where would the forger be without someone elses work to copy?

No matter how good the copy, genuine creation trumps it every time, where is the originality in Military repros?

John Lever

I rest my case..
20191106_092915.png