• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Micawber

462459907_528719293135835_3666934466906445348_n.jpg

462598823_528719319802499_1863188161679283958_n.jpg

462492188_528719256469172_2121291856457196314_n.jpg

462277259_528719263135838_6429079016440805161_n.jpg

462480815_528719329802498_8140847572224087162_n.jpg

462481816_528713899803041_5511429366133294837_n.jpg

Pa12

Love this photo, I have a framed copy in the man cave, 2 Sqn, AFC at Savy, France, March 1918. Great image of 2 first pattern Sidcots too.

Squadron cat and hound in attendance too.

W5CkjJu.jpg
I’ve often wondered why Billy Bishop is rarely mentioned, even here in Canada. He was the third highest ace of the war and the only one in the top few to actually survive the war.

Smithy

I’ve often wondered why Billy Bishop is rarely mentioned, even here in Canada. He was the third highest ace of the war and the only one in the top few to actually survive the war.

A very controversial topic Pa.

Bishop's claims are questionable at best in nearly every case and aren't backed up with more recent research into claims correlated with the surviving Luftstreitkräfte records. Many of Bishop's squadron mates thought he was "full of it" and worse a liar. For example one of 60 Sqn's most respected pilots Grid Caldwell came out and said the same. Most now believe the VC aerodrome raid was utter fiction as there's absolutely no record of it. Bishop getting a VC gong without a substantiating witness also is highly questionable.

Here's Alex Revell's article about this very issue...

SKCOrah.jpg

qZeplCi.jpg

Pa12

A very controversial topic Pa.

Bishop's claims are questionable at best in nearly every case and aren't backed up with more recent research into claims correlated with the surviving Luftstreitkräfte records. Many of Bishop's squadron mates thought he was "full of it" and worse a liar. For example one of 60 Sqn's most respected pilots Grid Caldwell came out and said the same. Most now believe the VC aerodrome raid was utter fiction as there's absolutely no record of it. Bishop getting a VC gong without a substantiating witness also is highly questionable.

Here's Alex Revell's article about this very issue...

SKCOrah.jpg

qZeplCi.jpg
Interesting. If true, he sure had balls when it came to bullshit.

Pa12

I do remember reading somewhere that he was not liked by his fellow pilots. The same with buzz beurling in the second ww. But I think that was more because he was not much of a team player. And possibly a bit of a psychopath ;)

Smithy

Interesting. If true, he sure had balls when it came to bullshit.

Anyone who flew in WWI had guts just to go up and fly in it, Bishop too.

But his claims and what he supposedly did have been rightly questioned by both his squadron mates and by researchers. Every serious WWI aviation historian I've known has told me he was a "bullshit artist".

Unlike any other ace, his claims have no witnesses or matches to the German losses.

If you take a similar British ace like McCudden or Mannock for example, there's witnesses to claims and/or after the war a loss which can be matched to a claim in many cases.

That just doesn't exist for Bishop.

Pa12

Anyone who flew in WWI had guts just to go up and fly in it, Bishop too.

But his claims and what he supposedly did have been rightly questioned by both his squadron mates and by researchers. Every serious WWI aviation historian I've known has told me he was a "bullshit artist".

Unlike any other ace, his claims have no witnesses or matches to the German losses.

If you take a similar British ace like McCudden or Mannock for example, there's witnesses to claims and/or after the war a loss which can be matched to a claim in many cases.

That just doesn't exist for Bishop.
What a chaotic mess it must have been to be able to bullshit and get away with it like that.

Smithy

What a chaotic mess it must have been to be able to bullshit and get away with it like that.

Not really. Bishop's claims are almost all whilst he claims to be flying alone.

He was awarded the VC when the Canadian forces were undergoing enormous losses on the Western Front and it's been suggested that this award was to try and raise morale.

That's the only reason that makes sense because he sure as hell didn't strafe a German aerodrome, and his VC is the only in history awarded without a witness, it's just based on what Bishop said. Dodgy? Yes very ;)

Pa12

Not really. Bishop's claims are almost all whilst he claims to be flying alone.

He was awarded the VC when the Canadian forces were undergoing enormous losses on the Western Front and it's been suggested that this award was to try and raise morale.

That's the only reason that makes sense because he sure as hell didn't strafe a German aerodrome, and his VC is the only in history awarded without a witness, it's just based on what Bishop said. Dodgy? Yes very ;)
Would certainly explain him surviving the war.