• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL WWII J. A . DUBOW 23379 TYPE A-2 (HELL HAWKS)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

Today I wanted to share a closer look of the J.A. Dubow from the grouping that I posted a couple days ago.

This example was made under contract 23379, awarded in December, 1941. This is one survivor of 10,000 jackets made under this specific contract.

This jacket belonged to Col. John "Mooney" "Buck" Rogers. During WWII he flew with the 365th Fighter Group, otherwise known as the "Hell Hawks".

The "Hell Hawks" were one of the most successful P-47 Thunderbolt fighter groups of the Ninth Air Force when it came to air combat. They took part in the D-Day campaign, the advance across France, Operation Market Garden, the Battle of the Bulge, and the invasion of Germany. The "Hell Hawks" were the first group to move into Germany on March 17, 1945 at Aachen, and the first ever to fly a combat mission off German soil!

Rogers had the distinction of landing the first P-47s on German occupied soil. He later lead the very first allied mission flown from Germany.

This jacket is in amazing condition considering it is almost 80 years old. All parts are original to the jacket. The horsehide leather was carefully re-dyed by the airdepot and is extremely supple, which is rare.

The knits are original to the jacket, and have some moth holes, which is expected after 8 decades.

The lining is in great condition and depicts "CAPT ROGERS" stenciled under the contract label. It also bears the AN stamp from inspection.

Contract label is in mint condition.

Original M-40 Kwik nickel-plated zipper comes with this jacket, which is rare for a 23379.

Both epaulets depict the rank insignia.

Left shoulder depicts the "ARMY AIR FORCES" decal, still in great shape.

As a side note, I was lucky to receive several period pics in this grouping, some of them show "Mooney" wearing the jacket!

Say no more guys, hope you enjoy it!

Regards,
Jorge
http://instagr.am/p/CWRAvForf1V/
51B37716-CDC7-4D46-9AE7-FC9B28960BA8.jpeg
C115E084-6A07-4A63-A842-7AE1C5E513D3.jpeg
E447ED31-D3B3-437A-A3CD-2A68EB161FC1.jpeg
8A04BC33-D760-4374-B47B-9CB78639AFBA.jpeg
4AD75814-6D28-44A7-8F97-DAF7A9AF1591.jpeg
043EDAAA-B0B9-4275-AE0F-169295EE6590.jpeg
95A84AFF-08CE-42CD-A9D9-34A09B32EE64.jpeg
13AFA3D2-F047-47EF-8F17-ADC789438FD7.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

Bravo, Jorge, that's a first-class acquisition.

My United Sheeplined is also a depot re-dye, and is the same color as that and has also aged well (although not as well as that!). I remember hearing that some of these re-dyes were actually sent back to the jacket manufacturers so they could do the dyeing, and that they did a much better job than the folks at the depot. I wonder if yours and my jacket are examples of that.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Bravo, Jorge, that's a first-class acquisition.

My United Sheeplined is also a depot re-dye, and is the same color as that and has also aged well (although not as well as that!). I remember hearing that some of these re-dyes were actually sent back to the jacket manufacturers so they could do the dyeing, and that they did a much better job than the folks at the depot. I wonder if yours and my jacket are examples of that.
you can see the dye over the hardware. Not the most subtle attempt.