• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more selling fees ?

DylanDog

eBay UK scrapped selling fees on clothing back in April. As has been said above this was presumably in response to competition from other selling sites such as Vinted.
However, it only applied to items listed under ‘Clothing’ This meant if a flying jacket was listed under ‘Collectables’ or ‘Militaria’ it would incur a selling fee but not if it was listed as ‘Clothing’
As far as I’m aware other than for ‘Motors’ or ‘Cars’ there are now no fees at all for private sellers, whether listing (up to 300 items free per month) or selling.

B-Man2

I’m alway skeptical when it comes to new policies from EBay . So does this new policy actually mean that if I sell an item for $400 .. I receive $400… when I get the funds deposited in my account OR does it mean there’s no listing fees. Just want to be sure that I’m understanding this correctly . Thanks

Adama36

I’m alway skeptical when it comes to new policies from EBay . So does this new policy actually mean that if I sell an item for $400 .. I receive $400… when I get the funds deposited in my account OR does it mean there’s no listing fees. Just want to be sure that I’m understanding this correctly . Thanks
listing an item is already free on ebay US (up to 250 items/month)

DylanDog

I’m not sure if it’s different outside the UK, but If you sell an item for £400 you would receive all £400 paid into your account. Also included would be any postage charges (assuming you have set these)

Adama36

I’m not sure if it’s different outside the UK, but If you sell an item for £400 you would receive all £400 paid into your account. Also included would be any postage charges (assuming you have set these)
Ebay US is different.
Listing an item is free but then Ebay charges a selling fee on the total amount paid by the buyer (including shipping cost)

DylanDog

Ebay US is different.
Listing an item is free but then Ebay charges a selling fee on the total amount paid by the buyer (including shipping cost)
Up until a couple of days ago that was much the same here in the UK (with the exception of items listed under the ‘Clothing’ category)
Although until recently every two weeks I regularly used to receive an ‘80% Off selling fees’ offer from eBay, which certainly made a difference.
As to why things are different outside the UK I can only presume selling sites such as Vinted, Gumtree, Schpock and Depop are becoming more popular and providing greater competition to eBay on this side of the Atlantic.

Adama36

Up until a couple of days ago that was much the same here in the UK (with the exception of items listed under the ‘Clothing’ category)
Although until recently every two weeks I regularly used to receive an ‘80% Off selling fees’ offer from eBay, which certainly made a difference.
As to why things are different outside the UK I can only presume selling sites such as Vinted, Gumtree, Schpock and Depop are becoming more popular and providing greater competition to eBay on this side of the Atlantic.
you are probably right

Stormmauer

Fees have been free for sellers of secondhand clothes for a while now. I believe they are trying to compete with depop and vinted. Clearly the trial saw a big uptick in sellers, enough to make them consider taking it off everything.

2BM2K

As far as I know, it has not changed. John Lever, do you have a link or something corroborating your statement?

The free selling is for Ebay UK, the change was notified by email.
The FAQ Ebay page for this is here;

Note that there is still a selling charge for shipping/selling abroad.