• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N3-b Parka

S1991

Hey all,

Hope this post finds you well. I know that the N3b parka isn't technically flight gear.

Yet I was wondering if anyone has a original one that they wear? If so, what to look for in a original one?
I've been thinking it over for years to get it one.. Especially usefull when traveling to colder climates like I did earlier this year to Iceland.

Preferably ofcourse I'd go with a original one compared to a reproduction by Alpha Industries for example.

If the post is not allowed. Feel free to delete it.

Thanks all,

Sil

mulceber

Yep, I’ve got one. Seriously cool jacket design. I recommend shooting for one by Skyline Clothing Co., or any of the early ones that retained the actual coyote fur trim on the hood. For sizing, order one size above your chest measurement, just as you would an A-2.
IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

B-Man2

Actually the N-3B jacket is a flight jacket made for the SAC (Strategic Air Command) crews that were based in very cold weather environments, and flew over the polar regions. It’s one of the best jackets for a really cold weather area. Just for general info what size are you looking for ?

B-Man2

Yep, I’ve got one. Seriously cool jacket design. I recommend shooting for one by Skyline Clothing Co., or any of the early ones that retained the actually coyote fur trim on the hood. For sizing, order one size above your chest measurement, just as you would an A-2.
View attachment 160475
View attachment 160477
You really came up with a nice one here Jan and where you’re at, I can see that getting some good wear on occasion.

Dany McDonald

Hey Sil, all good advice here, and if you go for a 50's N-3B, watch out for dried skin under the coyote trim and/or the insulating fur in the hood.
Ask the seller if it's all nice and flexible. Also check for bald spots. The older the better and nicer...;)

Keep us posted and share an image if possible.

Hope this helps.

D

S1991

Thanks all so far for the replies. Size wise I'll probably be at a Large or X-Large. Not even sure if they are out there, original ones that is. Guess I should stop living the royal life with all the food and beers lol. Its especially the belly area which is a bit more then a dad bod lol.

Any one happen to have a idea on what they generally are valued at? Any recommendations on reproductions would be welcome too!

mulceber

Thanks all so far for the replies. Size wise I'll probably be at a Large or X-Large. Not even sure if they are out there, original ones that is. Guess I should stop living the royal life with all the food and beers lol. Its especially the belly area which is a bit more then a dad bod lol.

Any one happen to have an idea on what they generally are valued at? Any recommendations on reproductions would be welcome too!
Can you tell us what your chest measurement is?

Dany McDonald

Any one happen to have a idea on what they generally are valued at? Any recommendations on reproductions would be welcome too!

It all depends on the time frame and series, N-3B's were made for quite a long time ( from early 50's and on) and went through some changes, originally a DuPont flight silk nylon shell with wool insulation and a coyote fur trimmed, mouton lined hood to less expensive material etc...

Earlier ones in very, very good shape can fetch around 900-1200$ and up, and 300-500$ for a N-3B in good shape. Later one's (65's and up) 100 to 300$ again depending. This is an opinion based on observations, others may have a more accurate vision of this...

Reproductions, I'd go Buzz Rickson, very, very well made and quite close to originals, price range between 250-1000$ depending on the state, shape and model.

Now the good thing with nylon, it will clean very well if done properly. So you can find a salty Albert Turner N-3B, in very good shape but dirty for a good price.

Hope this helps.

D