• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This IDEAL zipper a WW2 Era Zipper?

WW2 Buff

Hello, can some one at this forum please tell me if this "IDEAL" zipper is a WW2 period zipper? I'm asking because it is the zipper on my B-15 jacket, and I would like to know if it is original to the jacket or a post WW2 replacement. Thanks in advance gentlemen.
DSC09533.JPG
DSC09532.JPG
DSC09531.JPG

WW2 Buff

Thanks flyincowboy for the pic. I have known that "TALON"- "CROWN" -"CONMAR" and "KWIK" zippers are original to WW2 period USAAF flight jackets. However, because I liked the above B-15, and the above B-15 has an "IDEAL" zipper, I had hoped that maybe the "IDEAL" zipper on the above B-15 would have been a ww2 zipper too. (I wanted to find out). Thanks to the comments from other members I learned "IDEAL" is not a WW2 USAAF zipper. Thanks gentlemen!

Here's an interesting page about WW2 USAAF zippers I found from Johns Goodwear page.

https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/zipper_parts.html

MikeyB-17

I have a feeling that’s a nicely done replacement. Is there any thread of that gold colour anywhere else on the jacket? Be interesting to see the label on the jacket.

B-Man2

Late to respond … sorry … I’m pretty sure that this is not a WWII zipper. And since there aren’t any other stitch holes present from a previous zipper, this looks to be original to the jacket. So that opens the door to some other possibilities.
1. The jacket looks in too good of shape for its age. Could it have been a commercially made B-15 from the early post war period ?
( just asking)
2. Can any of our “Zipper” people put a date on this IDEAL zipper ?
3. How did you acquire this jacket ?
4. Do all of the components of the jacket look aged as an original B-15 might look.
5. Please post some photos of the label, maybe someone can find other photos of B-15s from that manufacturer and see if they have IDEAL zippers .
Not down playing your jacket . Just trying to think outside the box .
Cheers

Pilot

IDEAL did not have a military contract in WWII .
I belive the zipper has been replaced ( and not very nicely… the tape is not centered… ) see my markings. The B-15 on Pavel’s link looks legit.
The work on the zipper replacement has not been done by a pro.
IMG_2695.jpeg
IMG_2696.jpeg

B-Man2

IDEAL did not have a military contract in WWII .
I belive the zipper has been replaced ( and not very nicely… the tape is not centered… ) see my markings. The B-15 on Pavel’s link looks legit.
The work on the zipper replacement has not been done by a pro.
View attachment 163627View attachment 163629
Brice
Not challenging your post, but just asking .
If it were a replacement wouldn’t there be extra stitch holes visible along the zipper stitch line ?

Pilot

Brice
Not challenging your post, but just asking .
If it were a replacement wouldn’t there be extra stitch holes visible along the zipper stitch line ?
Hi Burt,
No worries and thanks for asking.
Yes stitching holes are visible under my markings… and elsewhere on the link.
For fabric, they are fading away with time.. ( unlike with leather )… but still visible if one looks very closely.
Furthermore , if you check closely the link you will see that the replacement job looks quite low quality… the tape band alignment/centering, the tape band color etc…plus the stiching holes here and there.
Last but not least the thread is too thick and has the wrong color…( the wrong color on the photos at least).

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Hi Burt,
No worries and thanks for asking.
Yes stitching holes are visible under my markings… and elsewhere on the link.
For fabric, they are fading away with time.. ( unlike with leather )… but still visible if one looks very closely.
Furthermore , if you check closely the link you will see that the replacement job looks quite low quality… the tape band alignment/centering, the tape band color etc…plus the stiching holes here and there.
Last but not least the thread is too thick and has the wrong color…( the wrong color on the photos at least).
Tape colour for sure. Last but not least that Ideal was not a zipper used until probably the later eighties. Before that it was Scovill brand which bought out Conmar I believe.