• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do i get the dirt and the smell out of this jacket

1verson

Recently i bought a vintage, at least 15 y.o.
Leather jacket but it has this old clothes smell that i cant bare and also when i try to clean the inside with a wet cloth it gets brown fast and i think i wont be able to make it clean that way. Any suggestions on how to clean it better and how could i get the smell out of it ( i let it breathe outside for 4 days and it didnt get any better.)

Dany McDonald

Can you share an image?
There are no magic wand with cleaning vintage garments, it takes time and patience and the right technique/trick. I mostly discoverer mine thru trial and error.

I am going blind here but from what I gather, the liner is soiled and musty, right?

Actually, if you can't soak the jacket, you have to wipe the inside with a wet cloth until it doesn't leave a residue on it. Hot water will help lift a bit more soiling.
If you still have a musty odor, repeat the wet cloth trick but add some Borax to the water. Then wipe and repeat if needed.

Try not to get the leather too wet if you are not sure of it state. But a 15 year old skin should take a mild watering with no problem.

Borax is 100% safe and kills mold by inhibiting its growth and spore production, which is what you need in the end. The musty odour will grow back if not totally dealt with.

I personally stay away from vinegar for liners that can't be totally washed or soaked, I find the odor a bit hard to dissipate after.

Hope this help!

D

1verson

Can you share an image?
There are no magic wand with cleaning vintage garments, it takes time and patience and the right technique/trick. I mostly discoverer mine thru trial and error.

I am going blind here but from what I gather, the liner is soiled and musty, right?

Actually, if you can't soak the jacket, you have to wipe the inside with a wet cloth until it doesn't leave a residue on it. Hot water will help lift a bit more soiling.
If you still have a musty odor, repeat the wet cloth trick but add some Borax to the water. Then wipe and repeat if needed.

Try not to get the leather too wet if you are not sure of it state. But a 15 year old skin should take a mild watering with no problem.

Borax is 100% safe and kills mold by inhibiting its growth and spore production, which is what you need in the end. The musty odour will grow back if not totally dealt with.

I personally stay away from vinegar for liners that can't be totally washed or soaked, I find the odor a bit hard to dissipate after.

Hope this help!

D
Thanks for the advice, ill try it. What about the pictures of the jacket i cant take any at the moment, the brown dirt comes from the black inside filling not the leather tho.

Pilot

Again, mentioned many times… invest in a skilled professional leather dry cleaner…
All said.. all done… results will be according to the investment.