• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Age and Mystery BACK Pockets (additional photos added)

Hunter jacket. :)
I have been scouring photos of hunting coats and I can’t find any that have separate pockets, they are all (the ones I can find) one large pocket with 2 buttons (photo attached) and I haven’t found any that are leather.

The Swedish Military coats look much more like this jacket, and considering the ornate buttons, and its origin very likely being from Sweden I don’t think this is a hunting jacket
2CBB477E-7715-48E6-85D0-EB9E94980B34.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweden military put extra back pockets on the uniform jacket after WWII .
Now that I have dated the buttons as being from WWII the plot thickens as the buttons are a French insignia but the style of coat is so similar looking to the Swedish military jacket (and my step grandfathers family being from Sweden). But if the pockets weren’t added until AFTER WWII then I’m back to square one

Southoftheborder

It looks like it's made from goatskin from the large breed of goat found in Sweden and used for most of their leather coats until well after the war. The black sheepskin collared military or police ones from the forties that are often seen on eBay described as horsehide are made of that breed of goat. I can't remember the name of the breed or the area that most of the leather goods were made now. But I remember reading an informative piece on Swedish goat leather production somewhere or other many years ago.

Erwin

Swedish
tumblr_nnalwj5EWs1s2f16eo2_r1_400.gif

As far as I spotted buttons with this design - various sizes with a French styled coat of arms are usually available in the USA.

A back pocket is a well known old feature called game pocket on various hunting jackets if I remember correctly. But here what hunter would carry in these small weird pockets, cannot believe it is a hunting jacket at all ;)

Last edited:

Erwin

100% agree with You Micawber, Barbour jackets with game pockets regarding functionality are the best!