• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanger bums and HH, and advice?

rob20uk

Hey All,

So I have an Aero Highwayman HH that is stored on an Aero hanger. I was under the impression this was the best way to store the jacket but unfortunately it looks like I have hanger bumps on the jacket.

I am pretty annoyed with this as I thought the Aero hangers were the best preventative measure for this.

Have you guys any suggestions other than wearing it and rubbing it with my hand on a smooth surface etc?

I am super keen to learn how to avoid this in the future as I am pretty concerned considering all my jackets are on the Aero hangers.

IMG_1805.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

B-Man2

The HH in the shoulder areas has been stretched a bit due to the weight of the jacket pulling down on the hanger. The weight was concentrated in those stretched areas on the hanger. Skyhawk has given you some good advice. Wet it and wear it and hopefully it may shrink the stretched areas a little . But I think you may have them for a while . In the future I would not hang that jacket but just lay it somewhere.

rob20uk

I will try the water treatment later.

Just dropped Aero an email to see what they advise. I think the idea of putting pool noodles round them might be the way forward.

Silver Surfer

yes, water, and hot water at that. just the specific areas. knead with your hands. ya may have to do this a couple times. if you do not get the desired results, wet again with hot water, and put the jacket in your cloths dryer for at medium heat, for 10 minutes. take it out to view results. repeat if necessary.

Last edited:

Harris_HTM

Personal experience with these hangers is that they are fine for a max. shoulder measurement of 18 inch. Above that they are dangerous for your investment.

B-Man2

Hopefully I won’t offend anyone by repeating my earlier post .. but … the best way to insure that your jackets won’t have this happen to them is to avoid hangers entirely.
Whether padded , noodled , expanded , or with wide ends, just avoid them. Just lay them flat on a flat surface. If you have no place to store them , you’d be better off just rolling your jacket in a ball and throwing it in a corner of your clothes closet than putting it on a hanger.
Just my opinion guys .

Last edited:

Smithy

I never, ever, ever store leather jackets on hangers, whether they're padded, thick as a fishmonger's missus, have those pool noodles things on them, etc. Never, nada, no way.

At the aviation museum i worked at leather flight jackets were never stored on hangers for the very reason you've shown above. They were stored flat in acid free cardboard boxes with scrunched up acid free paper in the arms and body to keep them from lying entirely flat.

That was obviously for long term storage, for jackets you wear store them flat. If you're short of space place them under a bed. I've never had a problem. Best way to keep your jackets when not in use.

As for the bumps, I'd wear it a lot and in rain and doing something involving manual labour - carrying wood, mending a fence, etc. Those should help.

Jennison

I can tell you from personal experience, please heed the words of Burt & Smithy. That leads me to a question of my own, which I hope is germane to this thread. In storing jackets under the bed, I'm constantly taking them out and brushing off dust. Then there's the worry about moths. So, I bought one of these to see if I can put 2 maybe 3 jackets in it and lay it flat under the bed. It's not wide enough to let the arms just do their thing. I'd like them to lie flat without folding the arms in like an undertaker. Any suggestions? I've seen your closet Burt. That heap-method might work for you, but I'd prefer to avoid hot poker punctures (eyeballs, chest...groin) from my wife. It has been told that, in purchasing a musket from a trader, a native American had to pile leather pelts as high as the musket he wanted. As a native American, Burt would have an arsenal.

Last edited:

Jennison

Hmmm. Good question. I suppose it would depend on the type of wife. If it's the type that would put the trader in the dog house for negligible stuff like drinking straight out of the bottle or peeing on the toilet seat, that Native American could forget about using a musket.

Jennison

Nice. Is that container large enough to allow the arms to lay flat, or do you have to fold them across the jacket front?

Shanghai-Mayne

Nice. Is that container large enough to allow the arms to lay flat, or do you have to fold them across the jacket front?
Size 40 is okay for lay flat. For larger size, need to buy bigger size containers, or buy more container, let every jacket have its own container.

entertainment

I would certainly never store an original A-2 on a hanger, but does anyone really think the original owners put them in boxes and stored them flat. So with reproduction jackets I would not stress too much if you have a decent hanger with collar support and wide shoulders. Just think of it as part of the proper aging process like all the WW2 vets did. (And yes, I have no doubt that some of them just tossed their jackets in a corner. But their wives probably then hung them up on a hanger and sighed.) Here is the kind of hanger I mean. I inherited this one and no idea where to buy new ones. The ones at the Container Store look much narrower. That being said, I generally cycle my jackets on and off the hangers.

Hang the piss out of those repro jackets! (Apologies to Burt.)

On the other hand, I know lots of people have had problems with storing reproduction shearling jackets on hangers, so beware in that case.

IMG_2349 copy.jpg