• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fried Ostermann M-422A? Seeking help to identify a vintage leather jacket.

FreddyF9

Hello everyone,

Some time ago, bought a jacket that was listed as an original WW2 era Fried Osterman M-422A.
I received it today and after a closer inspection it has a couple of things that are making me doubt a bit of it being an Ostermann, or even a M-422A.
Before buying, thanks to the great “Better fighting garment 2.0” thread and judging from the photos I had available, I was fairly sure that it was correctly identified, as it has the outward facing seams under the arms and the back leather waistband has a double row stitch; as you can see from the pictures below.

IMG_7525.jpeg

IMG_7529.jpeg

What I’m finding a bit puzzling, is the zipper, that is a Talon I wasn’t able to identify and doesn’t look like any other Talon I’ve seen on other Ostermann M-422A. Even though it could have been replaced (as it happened with other parts of the jacket).

IMG_7526.jpeg

Even more confusing, the wind flap has this USN perforation that, to my knowledge, only appeared in later Navy jackets.

IMG_7527.jpeg

Could someone please help me to identify it once and for all? If needed I can take more pictures.

Thank you very much!

CK90

Nice jacket, Freddy, the goatskin looks beautiful. On first glance, from photo number 1 I would have guessed an Ostermann based purely on the shape (shoulders, collar mainly), however upon closer inspection these are interesting and valid questions you raise.

There's guys around here who know far, far, far more about original navy jackets off the top of their head than I know. Like you, I'm still educating myself.

Will keep an eye on this thread, would love to have a definitive answer as to what this jacket is!

ties70

Freddy,

I think that the collar shape is wrong for an Ostermann. It should be longer and pointy.

The waistband of Ostermann jackets was double folded, like with an A-2. This has to be an replacement?

The leather collar of Ostermann jackets is usually a warmer brown... This looks like 50s or 60s color?

Ties

FreddyF9

Freddy,

I think that the collar shape is wrong for an Ostermann. It should be longer and pointy.

The waistband of Ostermann jackets was double folded, like with an A-2. This has to be an replacement?

The leather collar of Ostermann jackets is usually a warmer brown... This looks like 50s or 60s color?

Ties
Hi Ties,

You have a point, the collar looks a bit different compared to other pictures of Ostermann I’ve seen on the internet.
I’m sure that the mouton fur was replaced at some point, as there are ghost stitches here and there around and on the collar.
So, maybe it’s possible that it was alternated a bit during the replacement? I can’t tell for sure!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

FreddyF9

Hello Freddy,

Can you see signs of a zipper change, like parallel holes running the length of the seam?

Cause, sadly that's a 50's Talon... And the USN punched in the wind flap...

D

Hi Dany,

At first I wasn’t sure but on a closer inspection the zipper was also probably replaced. I’m not sure if the photo shows it well but there is a ghost stitch line running parallel the actual zipper stitch line.
IMG_7539.jpeg

Whatever this jacket is, it had a lot of parts replaced!

As now, judging from the ghost stitches, I’d say that the following parts could have been replaced:

• waistband (evidently).
• collar (almost 100% sure).
• zipper (much likely)
• lining (possible but not sure)

FreddyF9

I’m not confident in this answer, and I’d like to see more photos, but I think it’s a Cagleco 7823.

I’m not very familiar with this contract (or the G-1 series in general) but the USN perforation looks quite similar. But from a couple of pictures I’ve just seen, the Cagleco doesn’t seem to have the two stitch rows on the leather waistband…
Meanwhile, I’ve also seen this:
If you notice the wind flap, it has the USN perforation, even if the writing runs vertically (as the Cagleco does).

All very confusing, but hopefully we’ll figure it out!