• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Rough Wear 27752

Banzai

I was looking through this thread about the Five Star Rough Wear 27752 reproduction derived from an original example. Very nice work. One photo stuck out to me though, and that's of the shoulder epaulets. The Five Star jacket looked to be about 3/4" longer in the shoulder than the original. Maybe more. That means that the repro is a least 1.5" wider through the shoulders. Am I seeing things?

Why go through all the trouble of meticulously copying the collar, pockets, etc., only to change the pattern entirely?

I was looking at it because I was wondering, if Shawn had copied an actual, how close would his "off-the-rack" jacket be to what a supply sergeant would throw at a new pilot.

The measurements on his website for the RW 27752 are certainly unique among his jackets: very short, with rather broad shoulders. That also led me to wonder if perhaps he faithfully copied an example that had shrunk, while also bizarrely adding 1.5" in the shoulders. However, his shoulder measurements are in line with Eastman...if Eastman is a good copy. Shawn's sleeve and body lengths are shorter though.

Thoughts?

leper-colony

Fivestar did work from an original 27752 they borrowed, as seen in the thread you posted. The 1st copy looks to dimensionally the same to me. I've sewn things with the same pattern on different days and have had slight differences.

If you are looking at this, one jacket is closer than the other.

1729001409177.jpeg

Last edited:

Banzai

1729019557283.png

I was looking at this image. Also, the collar stand on the repro looks to be noticeably thinner. Perhaps the same collar stand template across the product line?

Attachments

• 1729019560558.png
    1729019560558.png
    21.4 MB · Views: 5

B-Man2

Ok .. probably a dumb question but are both jackets the same size ?
If they are then the size difference you’re seeing is probably based on the original being 80+ years old and having been worn in every type of weather imaginable. Hides shrink after 80 years … it’s just a fact of life. Buy the 5 Star 27752 and measure it out to the 1/32 of an each and wear it for 80 years in every type of weather. Then measure it and see what happens .

Banzai

If overthinking burned calories, you'd be a goddamn supermodel...

Bought this one last year and been wearing it a lot!

View attachment 162063
Discussing the nuances of reproductions are literally every-other A-2 thread on the “Repros” forum. People pointing out in pictures things I can’t even see about stitching, pocket placement, etc.

But sure, I’m overthinking it. I’ll move on.

Smithy

Discussing the nuances of reproductions are literally every-other A-2 thread on the “Repros” forum. People pointing out in pictures things I can’t even see about stitching, pocket placement, etc.

But sure, I’m overthinking it. I’ll move on.

I think you're grossly overthinking things as has been wisely pointed out.

This is a Five Star jacket, they are not the pinnacle of accuracy and to try and start drilling down into things like the collar stand is 3mm thinner or then the epaulet is too long, etc, etc is utterly pointless.

I'm not being facetious with this next comment but it will save you a lot of handwringing and these pointless attempts to correlate original specs with reproductions, if these small details concern you...

...If you want a highly accurate repro which takes into account these small, even tiny details, pay $200 and get in the Good Wear queue. It's the only way. Take that from someone who has chased this jacket dragon for over 2 decades.

Banzai

I think you're grossly overthinking things as has been wisely pointed out.

This is a Five Star jacket, they are not the pinnacle of accuracy and to try and start drilling down into things like the collar stand is 3mm thinner or then the epaulet is too long, etc, etc is utterly pointless.

I'm not being facetious with this next comment but it will save you a lot of handwringing and these pointless attempts to correlate original specs with reproductions, if these small details concern you...

...If you want a highly accurate repro which takes into account these small, even tiny details, pay $200 and get in the Good Wear queue. It's the only way. Take that from someone who has chased this jacket dragon for over 2 decades.
I was just wondering if he got the SIZE right, having gone through the trouble to copy so many other details. I'm not looking for Good Wear details. Everyone keeps talking about "WW2 fit", but Good Wear will make a beautiful repro that is sized FOR YOU (as a $1500 jacket should be), and there have been many debates about the accuracy of Eastman's sizing. That thread, however, showed in pictures a careful effort to copy an original, including showing them side-by-side.

So even if he got pockets and collars wrong (which it looks like he didn't), if he accurately copied the size; then there's your "wartime fit". Just take his stock jacket with zero length or width mods.

This is a lot less "handwringing" than half the stuff I see around here. Just wondering about the frickin' size.

Smithy

I was just wondering if he got the SIZE right, having gone through the trouble to copy so many other details. I'm not looking for Good Wear details. Everyone keeps talking about "WW2 fit", but Good Wear will make a beautiful repro that is sized FOR YOU (as a $1500 jacket should be), and there have been many debates about the accuracy of Eastman's sizing. That thread, however, showed in pictures a careful effort to copy an original, including showing them side-by-side.

So even if he got pockets and collars wrong (which it looks like he didn't), if he accurately copied the size; then there's your "wartime fit". Just take his stock jacket with zero length or width mods.

This is a lot less "handwringing" than half the stuff I see around here. Just wondering about the frickin' size.

If you're interested in size then get the shoulder, pit to pit, arm length, back length, waist width (and collar if you're really being anal) measurements. That's all you need.

You we're asking about the collar stand being slightly thinner and the epaulets being slightly longer. That's got nothing to do with size of the jacket, that's minutiae of the contract details which you can't expect to be entirely historically accurate on a 5 Star jacket.

Smithy

Because it was a clue to shoulder width.

No it's not. Christ on a flaming bike! This is really basic stuff.

The shoulder width measurement from the particular sized jacket is the determinant of the shoulder width. You don't even know if the repro jacket has been sized to the same size as the orignal in that photo above!

Plus details like this change as you size up and down on originals.

Honestly mate, FFS stop over thinking this shit. You'll give yourself a headache as well as anyone reading this OCD twaddle.

Banzai

Tags are labeled the same size.

Oh, wait. Christ on a flaming bike! The tags are the same size! FFS, just look at the label and quit overthinking this shit!

There. Did I do that right?

Smithy

Tags are labeled the same size.

Oh, wait. Christ on a flaming bike! The tags are the same size! FFS, just look at the label and quit overthinking this shit!

There. Did I do that right?

Honestly I'm out. You're one of those smartarses who thinks he knows everything and won't listen to any advice from people who know more than you. I've been doing this for over 20 years and made all the mistakes in the book but if you think you know better and have more knowledge than me or others around here then go right ahead. I couldn't give a stuff after you're been an arrogant little prick with all the genuine advice people have given you here and in the other threads you've been asking in.

I'll just say this.

If you want to buy a 5 Star get as many measurements as you can and order what you know will fit you.

If you want all the little tiny contract details buy a GW.

With that said, try not to be such an ungrateful arsehole next time people try to give you genuine advice.

Dany McDonald

The actual color of the original showing under the now gone rank insignia (epaulet) and at the edge of the detached sleeve is amazing. I never thought that it could be a deep reddish brown like that when new.
I will never judge lower tier makers using this color anymore.

Food for thought for me...

And sorry for hijacking the thread...

D

leper-colony

The actual color of the original showing under the now gone rank insignia (epaulet) and at the edge of the detached sleeve is amazing. I never thought that it could be a deep reddish brown like that when new.
I will never judge lower tier makers using this color anymore.

Food for thought for me...

And sorry for hijacking the thread...

D
Fivestar copied it, then played with a distressed version. I like that they try.