• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Rough Wear 27752

Dany McDonald

To know that something like this is somewhere out there, well, it has probably killed the A-2 repro market for me. Before that I was telling myself that an original in my size simply doesn't exist. Now that I know better, there is just no point in looking for perfection in a reproduction...

Well said and thank you for sharing, food for thought. It's definitely another way of seeing and wearing originals in a different perspective.

bn1966

Always wanted a dark blue B-15, maybe one day I’ll get Shaun onto that if they have the right nylon. I’d send Shaun one of my Alphas to base measurements on. Preferring B-15’s to MA-1’s these days … the collar on a B-15 ‘softens‘ the look for me.

B-Man2

A great conversation and exchanges of opinions. So as I was re reading this thread there are definitely two schools of thought at work here. No need to rehash them as they run thru just about every post. Guys who want the most accurate , stitch for stitch repro available and are willing to pay the price to obtain one … and the guys who would like to have a repro that approximates an original to a degree and still keeps within the constraints of a particular budget or their respective finances. Believe me … I get it !!
Like most of us I went thru the cycle of working my way thru lower cost jackets and eventually working my way up to the top tier jackets . As I progressed from maker to maker and the prices got progressively higher, at each stage I’d think to myself “ I can’t believe I’m spending this much money on a jacket.!”. So because of this I found myself only wearing the expense jackets on an occasional basis .. and never treated them like what they actually were … just a jacket. As a result at this point in my life if weather permits , I try wear all of my jackets for work or play . What’s the use of having them otherwise .

Last edited:

Skyranger

I had the privilege to wear @B-Man2's original RW 23380...in almost NOS condition and fitting size.

To know that something like this is somewhere out there, well, it has probably killed the A-2 repro market for me. Before that I was telling myself that an original in my size simply doesn't exist. Now that I know better, there is just no point in looking for perfection in a reproduction...
Yes, that's what I feel with my G-1s, it's easier to have an original in your size and in good condition!
For the A-2s, not being a razmoquet, I would never have an original in my size, so a nice reproduction suits me perfectly (much more than a basic reproduction whose imperfections I know).

Camel24hrs

Last week I saw a Fried Ostermann go up for bid on eBay. It sold for 285 dollars. The knits were in pore condition but the liner looked good and it was goat from appearance and did not have holes in the leather and looked wearable. It was not my size and I am not big into goat.

Instead of spending 2k on a repo one could certainly be patient and find an original for under 2k. This one just needed the knits replaced. Then you don’t have a repo you got the real thing.

Btw I don’t wear hoodies and sneakers. I am retired. Everything I own is paid for and have a 7 figure 401k. It’s not an issue to drop 2k but it is an issue as to what I dropped it on. I just bought a new tractor with a backhoe and grapple attachment. Didn’t even think twice about it.
But to spend 2k on a repo???? Just so I can feel special or something? A legend in my own mind?

No one is going to ask to flip up my pocket flap to see if the size tag is correct. No one is going to check to see if the press stubs are dimpled on the pocket and not on the collar.

Glad you are thrilled with what you paid for. Just don’t bash others because their valuation is different from yours.

FlakMagnet

IMG_2869.gif

Members online

Latest posts