• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five star leather upgrade

Camel24hrs

Recently purchased a Monarch 23378 from Five Star. Was pleasantly surprised to see this one came in full grain leather instead of the top grain leather I received in the past from five star. I can see the hair follicles and scars in the horsehide leather so it has not been sanded nor shaved. It is full grain leather. It is also very soft to the touch. Leather appears to be full grain fully chromed tanned leather like the original A2 leather was
IMG_1929.jpeg
IMG_1932.jpeg
IMG_1933.jpeg
View attachment 159261
IMG_1981.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1982.jpeg

Last edited:

Camel24hrs

Seems that youve asked SHAWN for that type of finish.
Yeah I been pushing him to to switch to full grain for like 3 or 4 months. He then ran out of HH for a while. Now he is restocked in it. He had recently posted pics of a cable contract he is offering in mid brown and I was shocked to see hair follicles in the pics. So I took a chance and ordered the Monarch in reddish brown and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully his has made a permanent switch in his leather. Got a friend that has a cable in mid brown coming. He will send me close ups of the leather when he gets it. I am hoping it’s in full grain leather too. If so then I think the switch has been made on all his HH. If so I’ll probably get another jacket for Christmas.