• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star jacket recommendations?

Pa12

Let me just back up what Jan told you in his post. The Wright Patterson AFB Museum … The largest museum of its type in the world … has difficulty figuring out how to display its multitude of WWII jackets and how to care for all of them on a consistent basis. The ones that they have on display are for the most part in temperature controlled environments. So this suggests to me that we may in fact be the ones who help to stabilize, restore and maintain original jackets better that most facilities and museums. We may also be responsible for helping to save what’s left of them. So if you’re fortunate enough to be a care taker for one of these artifacts, I think you should be entitled to wear it and display it occasionally.
I think wright Patterson should be having a garage sale ;)

mulceber

This is probably an urban legend, but I remember hearing a story about a militaria collector who for whatever reason was getting a tour of an Air Force base. They made a detour through a storage shed, he spied a crate, asked the soldier who was guiding them what it was, and the soldier grabbed a crowbar and pried the crate open - it was a crate full of New-old stock A-2 jackets. He got to buy a Dubow on the sly for $300.

Like I said, probably an urban legend, but if it's by any chance true...man, I wish the Air Force would empty out its stores and sell off the really old flying kit....o_O

Pa12

This is probably an urban legend, but I remember hearing a story about a militaria collector who for whatever reason was getting a tour of an Air Force base. They made a detour through a storage shed, he spied a crate, asked the soldier who was guiding them what it was, and the soldier grabbed a crowbar and pried the crate open - it was a crate full of New-old stock A-2 jackets. He got to buy a Dubow on the sly for $300.

Like I said, probably an urban legend, but if it's by any chance true...man, I wish the Air Force would empty out its stores and sell off the really old flying kit....o_O
Wouldn’t that be something
tmp.gif

B-Man2

It sounds like a great story but more than likely just wishful thinking. I can imagine anything from WWII that’s crated and NOS in the U.S. has been discovered and opened and sold over an 80 year period . However, I remember being in Bolivia during the late 1980s and there was a shit load of pre positioned equipment and military stuff that was being sold at flea markets and out the back doors of military bases. I actually saw a several crates of Thompson sub guns in a military armory that were left over from WWII and never issued by the military . Also crates of M1 Carbines.

Pa12

It sounds like a great story but more than likely just wishful thinking. I can imagine anything from WWII that’s crated and NOS in the U.S. has been discovered and opened and sold over an 80 year period . However, I remember being in Bolivia during the late 1980s and there was a shit load of pre positioned equipment and military stuff that was being sold at flea markets and out the back doors of military bases. I actually saw a several crates of Thompson sub guns in a military armory that were left over from WWII and never issued by the military . Also crates of M1 Carbines.
:mad:Your killing me Burt

Dumpster D

Just me dreaming… ;)

Wonder if there's anyone producing the original A-2 Jacket 'box' for collectors, that want to store their originals in a box like a QM Depot? ...I'm sure this should already be a thing.

I believe in urban Legends, you know I'll find some warehouse stash here and there man, you know me.

I've been finding emergency blankets from the 50's that have been in a warehouse from part of emergency relief, these are now being sent to Ukraine for aid...some of the lesser grade condition Blankets are finding their way to local thrifts stores by and by, these have lately been turning up in various locations this year, raising questions such as where have they been, and why are they now turning up in circulation only now?

Nice price too, if you don't mind the mice chews. ;)

Someone mentioned a crate with blankets still wrapped in the original paper and date stamped NOS and everything had turned up on the market, certain there will be other items in storage along with these items as well.

So there you go, storage warehouses still holding a stashed crate or two here and there after 70 years of sealed vault doors finally opening up. It's not a dream.

Last edited: